"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 345

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; http://www.935motorsports.com/bovmedias.htm I dug out the proper links for the sounds/videos you were trying to check out. It looks like the ...

  1. #5161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    7

    Hope its not too late...

    http://www.935motorsports.com/bovmedias.htm

    I dug out the proper links for the sounds/videos you were trying to check out. It looks like the other one posted earlier is an outdated domain name or something.
    tc.Romulus
    I've got your ultimate driving machine right here BMW... No, I want my ransom first!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #5162
    Registered User slowmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    472
    My first post was about a downpipe I think.. A downpipe question is just a 'noob' of a post as a BOV question...

    Don't expect the guy to be an expert if he is just purchasing his first scooby...

    We should welcome his ignorance with open arms; and embrace his questions with the knowledge that he will some day possess.

    DON'T BE A JERK!!!

    so what if he is a noob.
    I can't remember what it is.......

    We try to forget

  4. #5163
    Registered User Hot_Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmo
    My first post was about a downpipe I think.. A downpipe question is just a 'noob' of a post as a BOV question...

    Don't expect the guy to be an expert if he is just purchasing his first scooby...

    We should welcome his ignorance with open arms; and embrace his questions with the knowledge that he will some day possess.

    DON'T BE A JERK!!!

    so what if he is a noob.
    Then post it in the noob forum, that's all I'm saying. Search, read stickies...then post in the technical forums.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

  5. #5164
    Registered User BrandonWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sharon, PA
    Posts
    1,916
    I second the Typhoon, it leans out the car and there is actual evidence it gives around 12whp. On wrxs intake are indeed worthless. The BOV will only be for sound, and in some cases will actually cause a decrease in power.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

  6. #5165
    Registered User slowmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWRX
    I second the Typhoon, it leans out the car and there is actual evidence it gives around 12whp. On wrxs intake are indeed worthless. The BOV will only be for sound, and in some cases will actually cause a decrease in power.

    The typhoon does raise HP/TQ at some rpm's, at others it causes a decrease in HP/TQ.

    My Perrin Short Ram did allow for a SMALL increase in power. However I did notice it to be more 'sluggish' at times; evidence that the dyno plots are correct.

    I had an HKS SSQV BOV. It sounded really cool, and turned a lot of heads. Downside was that the BOV caused the car to run rich after a shift; because the air that was normally re-plumbed into the turbo, was released into the atmosphere. This meant the turbo had to spool up again. After putting the stock BOV back on, I really noticed it pull much harder after a shift..

    Get a silencer delete, and a drop in K&N. You will here the turbo, and the BOV a lot more. Save the $$ for a BOV and spend it on a catless downpipe, as mentioned earlier..

    Catless downpipe will actually make your car go faster, where a BOV is going to make it a bit slower...

    After maket BOV is only necessary when you are running so much boost that the stocker fails... It does sound cool though
    I can't remember what it is.......

    We try to forget

  7. #5166
    Registered User BrandonWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sharon, PA
    Posts
    1,916
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmo
    The typhoon does raise HP/TQ at some rpm's, at others it causes a decrease in HP/TQ.

    My Perrin Short Ram did allow for a SMALL increase in power. However I did notice it to be more 'sluggish' at times; evidence that the dyno plots are correct.

    I had an HKS SSQV BOV. It sounded really cool, and turned a lot of heads. Downside was that the BOV caused the car to run rich after a shift; because the air that was normally re-plumbed into the turbo, was released into the atmosphere. This meant the turbo had to spool up again. After putting the stock BOV back on, I really noticed it pull much harder after a shift..

    Get a silencer delete, and a drop in K&N. You will here the turbo, and the BOV a lot more. Save the $$ for a BOV and spend it on a catless downpipe, as mentioned earlier..

    Catless downpipe will actually make your car go faster, where a BOV is going to make it a bit slower...

    After maket BOV is only necessary when you are running so much boost that the stocker fails... It does sound cool though

    The dyno charts Ive seen showed an increase at all rpms and a 12whp increase in the upper rpms? The increase was only 1-2 whp down low and it gradually increased as the rpms did. *shrugs*
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

  8. #5167
    Registered User slowmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    472
    I have already had enough of the intake debate...

    However if you MUST hear my arguement..... The DYNO chart you probably saw was K&N's. I have seen many dyno charts of STi's running just an intake, and most show HP/TQ drops at midrange RPMs.

    K&N's dyno chart is most likely obviously biased.. Ambient conditions can be tweaked to deliver the results they want, so people will buy more intakes.
    I can't remember what it is.......

    We try to forget

  9. #5168
    Registered User BrandonWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sharon, PA
    Posts
    1,916
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmo
    I have already had enough of the intake debate...

    However if you MUST hear my arguement..... The DYNO chart you probably saw was K&N's. I have seen many dyno charts of STi's running just an intake, and most show HP/TQ drops at midrange RPMs.

    K&N's dyno chart is most likely obviously biased.. Ambient conditions can be tweaked to deliver the results they want, so people will buy more intakes.
    Im sure you have I remember bits and pieces of the thread on imprezawrxsti.com.
    I didnt plan on ever getting an intake, maybe just a panel filter.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

  10. #5169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12
    Thanks for the info. Whats a silencer delete? And where do I get it?

  11. #5170
    Banned 05WRX0704's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Defense Language Institute, Monterey, CA
    Posts
    2,953
    search

  12. #5171
    Registered User hellafastWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Huntington, Long Island..... NY
    Posts
    5,853
    no
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

    04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

  13. #5172
    Registered User speeddr2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    jacksonville
    Posts
    284
    go here and look under engine http://www.visionaryracing.com/

  14. #5173
    Registered User erockWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NW Chicago Subs
    Posts
    68

    which forge bov do I have?

    I'm pretty sure that it is the 100% atmo but i'm not possitive and I don't want to buy a recirculating one if it's what I have already. Under the bov there is a line coming to it but it has been capped off, which makes me think that it's not recirculating. The tubing coming off the left looks like every other pic of this bov that I've seen. This is my first turbo, so I'm still learning how to tell some of this stuff. Thanks everyone.

  15. #5174
    Registered User wrxaddicted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by erockWRX
    I'm pretty sure that it is the 100% atmo but i'm not possitive and I don't want to buy a recirculating one if it's what I have already. Under the bov there is a line coming to it but it has been capped off, which makes me think that it's not recirculating. The tubing coming off the left looks like every other pic of this bov that I've seen. This is my first turbo, so I'm still learning how to tell some of this stuff. Thanks everyone.
    if there is a plug in the re-circ hose on the bottom left of the BOV, then its 100% atmoshpere release.

  16. #5175
    Registered User erockWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NW Chicago Subs
    Posts
    68
    thanks, thats what I thought that hose was but I just wanted to verify it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •