"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 342

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by dark_rex nothing. they're both pretty bad ideas unless you're dyno tuned for it along with a series ...

t
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_rex
    nothing. they're both pretty bad ideas unless you're dyno tuned for it along with a series of other mods. the ecu is running air, fuel and timing based on certain parameters expected to be in place. if those parameters are not in place (such as a certain amount of air being rerouted back to the intake) it will not run optimally.

dR
    +1

Pretty much don't touch it until your running 20+ psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by t
    1,000,000,000 x worse. I hope he doesn't mind buying a new block. Who would do that to sti ...c'mon
    Why would this damage the engine that badly?
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Because stock is allowing SO much more air to vent out. It's a very very efficient, very well designed part as is, and it assumes a certain amount of air is ALL going back into the intake. The over-rich condition is ridiculous when you do something like this, it'll buck and heave like nuts with the gas overflow, probably wash down your cylinders a considerable amount. A lot of people attribute the ring lands cracking on the STi due to fuel getting in there and exploding them open....that only comes from rich conditions.

It's just stupid, it's all so stupid, just leave it stock. Unless it improves performance noteably, stop screwing with it! Jesus christ people, this is the biggest case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I can thnk of.

the stock BPV is normally open so at idle you're sucking in unfiltered air into the intake. bad enough?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

sustained cornering puts a lot of oil in one of the "ends" of the boxer engine. this oil accumulates in the valve cover areas, which are connected via breather lines to the intake. as a result a LOT of oil ends up in the induction system.

a properly routed catch can would cut down on this a lot.

hth
    ken

Thanks for the advice guys!

After calming down a bit and going through all the things it could be i started to come to a similar conclusion. I'll probably get a catch can and install the new pcv-valve i still have laying around. I'll also check all the connections and torque everything up. I'll let you guys know what i find.
    autobahn storming scooby

Same thing happened to me last weekend after 2 sessions on a HPDE road course. It never does it on the street but all those "G's" must make it happen. I had to cut my day short for fear of a oil fire. Didn't want to risk it. When I bought this car the BOV was completely shut and only my ext waste gate was in use. Hmmm, maybe that's why.
    Rearranged 2002 WRX

The Mods List

bov

whats a good bov for 05sti ?dont want to lose horse power.

then dont get one.

sorry for saying it like that, but it will most likely do more harm than good, even though some people dont seem to have problems with theirs. Search and youll find lots of pros and cons and different ones people use.

Keep the stock on. But if you MUST get a blowoff-valve get on that recirculates. I have had 4 and the stock on is the best
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Dont get one. invest in to somthing else That will add some ponys to your ride.

Do a search.....Search is your friend.
    welcome to the club!
    04 Pearl Black STi-
    GT35R...

*88 Mustang Foxbody-
    Not Stock!!=475RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Get some kneepads and open your mouth

If you wanna hear your stocker get a k&n typhoon thats what i got my stocker is louder and I love it wouldnt want it any louder..
    07 S2000..vortech..kw..comptech..volk

previous
    05 Evo traded
    05 S2000 rip
    05 STi traded

teh bov iz da shiz u shud get 1 on da ebay wif a CAI 2 it makz madddd psssstt pppppssssstttttt!
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

the BOV question has to be the most asked question ever!!!

if you want a cool sound get it...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxpaul
    If you wanna hear your stocker get a k&n typhoon thats what i got my stocker is louder and I love it wouldnt want it any louder..
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.