"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 34
Page 34 of 789 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134534 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Rob W I agree.... AC is a killer on power. AC is an even bigger killer when ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Rob W
    I agree.... AC is a killer on power.
    AC is an even bigger killer when you've got an underdrive pulley in the car
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

to be honest.
    I can't tell the difference on running to sluggish like you said.
    I'm getting same miles as before....AND after.
    In my case, I didn't feel a thing.
    I don't know about you.

Originally posted by gifty74
    but where is it sealed off? the butterfly is always cracked some, even at idle, to let some air in. is the piston motion creating the vacuum?
    The engine is sucking air very hard and the butterfly (throttle plate) is not letting enough air into the manifold to restore it to atm pressure. Just think of the engine as a four cylinder vacuum pump and the throttle plate as a restriction in the inlet.

-Jim

that's cool. that is what i thought was happening. just to get it straight, it's the piston motion creating the vacuum (when the intake valves open) correct? i just want to get a good grasp on it now while i have the experts looking at the thread. i know they make vacuum, i just didn't know that all manifolds were like that....interesting

Yes,

When the intake valves are open and the piston is moving down, the cylinder is sucking air in from the intake manifold.

-Jim

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    2.5" is fine for decent power levels.
    The HKS BOV is top notch, as many mkiv Supra boys use them. Definitely useful for higher boost applications.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

Well, I don't know what you mean by "chough".

Double clutch:
    When you are ready to shift

Ease off the throttle
    Clutch in
    Pull out of gear
    Clutch out
    Let revs drop
    Clutch in
    Put in new gear
    Clutch out
    Ease into the throttle

You are doing this to help synchros but you can mess them up worse by doing this if you don't do it right. The idea is to get the synchros to the right rpm with it in neutral to make popping it in gear easier. The clutch in and out the first time must be quick.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Sales Email, Tech Email

He means his rfl won't go off. What you need to do is open it up and lubricate it. Same thing happened to mine and many others. I lubricated it with some engine oil and its been great ever since. Go try that. Mind would choke too and not go off. Just put a little engine oil along the bov and the piston where it makes contact with the bov. Mines been working good:-)
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)
    vf22/pinks/up/exhaust/pump/mbc/bov/ecutek

Thumbs up

I just had my HKS SSQ BOV installed....Its has a distinct sound to it that I like....I heard the BLITZ Dual DRIVE BOV on my buddy's WRX, and it sounded good too... I have been playing with the throttle and different shift points just 2 hear it!! I luv making that sound when I drive by those hondas that have their fart blaster ehxuasts !! GOOD STUFF!!

Try putting a hook on a hanger and then pulling on the hose clamp to get it to face you. Then you'll have better access to it.
    I personally used needlenose locking pliers to unhook it.

I managed to get it off but I can't seem to get it back on. I went ahead and put the bov on and haven't had any probs. Does anyone think its a big deal that the clamp is not on there. the plug is really tight. I don't think it will move, but I'm not too sure.
    2005 STI
    Obsidian black with gold wheels

Moderator of SE forum

Quote:
    What is the handicapped parking situation at the special olympics?

I agree. The hks is great if you plan on running high boost. It won't leak. I got the wrx kit from vivid and its hassle free. Just make sure you don't strip the bolts like I did. That was a pain in the A$$
    2005 STI
    Obsidian black with gold wheels

Moderator of SE forum

Quote:
    What is the handicapped parking situation at the special olympics?

Another benefit of keeping a recirc BOV is the fact that it helps keep the turbo spooled a little better, so the effect is doubled when you use an atmospheric BOV.
    You may also want to look at the Link since it's application specific and a little easier to tune. I would humbly recommend that if you don't know how a BOV works, then a TEC is a bit beyond your scope just yet. You cannot have it tuned by someone because it will require constant tuning/datalogging/etc to keep things in check.
    If you want louder BOV sound, spend the money on a silicon inlet hose which will keep your intake air cooler (more power) and it will have the side-effect of giving you a louder BOV sound with the stocker.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Sales Email, Tech Email

The stock recirc valve works well. Save the cash and buy a silicon inlet hose. You will get improved power and it will make your stock BOV much louder.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Sales Email, Tech Email

Yes, I know what you're talking about but I don't remember where I saw it either. It was a manual boost controller and a solenoid to switch between the two. It's a cheap method to get two levels of boost, but the stock system is very slow to build compared to a manual. Set it and leave it be, I say. If you don't want all that boost, don't push the petal down as hard. Get a boost gauge first. Stay below 16; maybe lower.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Sales Email, Tech Email