"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 335
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i found an alternate method of adding washers to the txs valve greatly helps smooth things. essentially get a flat ...

i found an alternate method of adding washers to the txs valve greatly helps smooth things.

essentially get a flat fender washer, ie, large outside diameter, small hole diameter, and put the spacer washers AND the fender washer in the CAP of the bov, not in the bottom of the piston. the fender washer goes on the SPRING side. the fender washer should be of an outside diameter that it fits reasonably snugly inside the bov cap. not binding, but almost. CAREFULLY put the top back on the body and piston.

such a stack limits the total opening aperture of the valve by blocking the brass piston's upward travel. this helps keep things smooth since normally the rfl vents a LOT of air mass, and with the restricted opening the bleed is a bit less immediate.

by altering the placement of the fender washer in the stack of spacer washers, you can change the ultimate opening size.

it's the only way i run my rfl nowadays. 4 spacers, fender on top of spring side, iirc.

also make sure your piston is clean, and the body of the valve is clean, and lube them with motor oil. i've found oil works out better than heavy sticky grease.

hth
    ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

*cleaning my piston*
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

I looked at mine today and it was tightened all the way so i loosened it. I had been told it sounded like it was to tight and that i might run inot porblems in the future with it like that, so we'll see what happens. I might have to tighten it more. I am definately gonna clean it this weekend.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

bov question

whats the best bov for a stock motor? what r the differences in the bov's u can buy?

-Dice

OEM.

do a search.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Dont get one, i have had 4 the best is the stock blowoff valve. If you must get one, make sure it recirculates and is not 100% atmospheric
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Quote Originally Posted by STiguy
    Dont get one, i have had 4 the best is the stock blowoff valve. If you must get one, make sure it recirculates and is not 100% atmospheric

of coruse if you get one that recirculates, it won't make the cool noise and then there's no point in getting one since it does EXACTLY the same thing that the stock one does.

and if you DO want to do that...you should also replace your anti-freeze with coolant...summer's coming!!!
    go f*** yourself

I have a question, if you want that BOV sound can you just take off the recirculateing hose and plug the hole in the intake? I was talking with my dad the other day and that question hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by ballabee1
    I have a question, if you want that BOV sound can you just take off the recirculateing hose and plug the hole in the intake? I was talking with my dad the other day and that question hit me.
    Yes and no.

Yes you can do it. It KINDA works. However, I think the OEM valve is open by default, and uses vaccum signal to close, so when you're not under boost, you're giving unfiltered air a clear path into your motor. Not a good thing. Also, since the valve wasn't designed to operate this way, your idle will be even worse since air can just come and go as it pleases rather than only go through the MAF sensor like it should.

there is really no way to get the sound without the negative effects. here:

http://sunamiturbo.com/

Another HKS SSQV question

unless you're doing some serious modding, its really just a $300 noisemaker that slightly screws up how your car works.
    go f*** yourself

are you serious?

I think you can fix that problem with ghetto rigging a breather so it filters vacummed air I have stocker BOV with straight UP and SRI the stocker BOV sounds totally badass, most people are surprised to find out that the metal 1G is an extremely well designed BOV even for higher power applications. Crushed 1g works great.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

funny, thought your point was that for every tank of gas you were running lean for the distance of 3.18 miles. the whole calculation being rediculous and humerous, you'd still preffer to put something on your car that is a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by XxScoobYxX
    are you serious?
    serious about the the sunamiturbo thing? i thought it was the funiest thing I've ever seen.
    go f*** yourself

I agree with most of the post here. If u wanna have perfect idle ur gonna either stay stock or go with a fully ajustable bov (like mine). The worx BOV is pricey but is worth it if u want to maintian stock idle whilst also gettin a little bit of WOOOSH!
    I just got my new WRX and Im once again completely addicted to turbo boost

-Worx dual stage BOV (50% intake 50% atmosphere)
    -Cobb Accesport stage 1
    -cleared headlamps (pm for info on this freebie)

If you're still stock, just stick with OEM. Just get an intake and you'll be happy. I put on my Blitz SUS last night and the stock valve is plenty loud now, plus a nice increase in power
    #1 ROTA Dealer! - JLB Motorsports
    Not to mention everything else they carry, like Ksport, Invidia etc etc

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.