"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 333
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; here comes the flame! be ready! i hear the same thing too, mostly due to the pressure going everywhere. u ...

here comes the flame! be ready!

i hear the same thing too, mostly due to the pressure going everywhere. u might wanna do a search on this stuff before this thread gets into a battle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Aftrermarket BOVs cause a rich condition between shifts. The only major negative i've heard from this is the chance of the uppipe cat melting. A bov can cause a whole other host of problems, but I have never heard of a bov directly causing an engine failure.

You should really do a search, at least 1/4 of the threads here are about bov's, lol.

Thank you I will, this is the first time I have been to this site, just bought my WRX March 5. Sorry for asking one of the same questions over... just been hearing alot of different opinions...just trying to find out the truth. Not trying to start arguments.
    Last edited by PowerxmNick; 03-14-2005 at 10:53 PM.

Another question, does anyone run the earth grounding kit? If so are you pleased?

2005 Cobb Stage 2.5 Aspen White WRX w/ Sunroof
    VF34'd - STI TMIC - 565 inj's - Blitz DC III Turbo Timer - Eibach Pro Kits - Rota Torque's 17x8in Wheels Bronze - 245/40-17 Dunlop FM901 tires
    STI JDM Front and Rear Strut Bar's - Greddy EVO 2 Catback- Invidia V2 Downpipe - DC Sports Uppipe
    Cobb AP - DC Sports Short Shifter - STI Seats and Carpet

do a search about the BOV thing I personally have given up giving the same answers over and over. In a nutshell, they won't hurt your motor, they will leave a crusty black film on your exhaust tip, they do have a negative effect on performance...how MUCH effect depends on how you drive, where you live what kind of gas you use etc.

. as for grounding...i've read posts from people doing it...I don't think its worth it...it might make you idle a little better, but that's really about it. the coils on a WRX are right on top of the plug, so the only thing you're really improving is the signal transmission from the various sensors to the ECU, and the ECU has enough leeway in programing to adjust for WAY more than the signal difference between stock ground and modded ground. If your wiring's in good shape, forget it.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Please read the Engine Performance FAQ! It is there for a reason.

Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]

And here is a line from it:

Should I get a bov?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Blow off valve on a stock engine
    Pros:
    Cool sound

Cons:
    Run rich between shifts
    Could cause long term engine problems
    Not necessary until you're running 20+lbs of boost
    Decreased gas mileage

Blow off valve on a modified engine w/ turbo upgrade
    Pros:
    Ability to hold more boost (20+lbs)
    Cool sound -- commonly reffered to as a "show off valve"
    Give yourself some deserved bling bling for running an upgraded turbo

Cons:
    Still might run rich, but with engine management you could help to tune that problem out.
    Still could cause long term engine problems...but when you've done everything to upgrade your turbo, you're running that risk anyway.
    Decreased gas mileage - due also to added fuel (larger injectors) w/ engine management to feed the upgraded turbo more air and fuel.

Things to think about....

http://sunamiturbo.com/

that's all i'm going to say.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

yeah I got the word on where the flange can be found!!!
    answer me these questions three an the flange you shall see!
    1. What is your name?
    2. what is you rquest?
    3. what is the air speed velocity of an African Swallow?

yeah so thats basically what I got! a whole lot of NOTHING! :thumbdow
    everyone I contacted said they didnt have it...The one and only piece of advice I got was to buy the entire kit and get measurments of the flange and then have the flange made and return the kit! which isnt a bad idea but I'm lazy at this point! so if you feel like it let me know!
    good luck on the hunt if you continue and let me know if you come up with anything.

yet another ? about intake and bov

If the bov makes your car run a little rich and a intake makes you run lean would that balance out or am i way off base?

your way off base dude, do alot of reading and searching.

God does not want us to have BOV's on our Rex's.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

is this problrm caused by my bov?

Ok, i haven't had any problems yet because of my bov but this could finally be one.

I was checking my boost on the interstate and when i went for the 2-3 shift the car jerked really hard. i got worried i messed up my tranny or blew up my engine, but everythign worked just fine in a couple mid rpm pulls in the first 4 gears. i figured it was just a fluke and did a quick launch, this time on the 1-2 shift it did the same thing and then when i idled back down it quit running, but it started right back up. I drove he rest of the way home testing everything but "hard" shifts and i didnt' have any problems.

Is it my bov?, hopefully it is...
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

I Support ClubWRX
    100% BOV's do have a tendancy to make our cars stumble and want to stall between shifts.

If you put a BOV on, then intall the intake it will still run lean maybe. If you put a duck call on your BOV, it will even it out.

...just kidding
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.