"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 332

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; most likely VF22 or 34 are these bad choises?...

most likely VF22 or 34 are these bad choises?
    Last edited by JuggaloRacing; 03-09-2005 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloRacing
    most likely VF22 or 34 are these bad choises?
    There are few bad choices. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Read through the engine performance stickys to get a better grasp on what you want.

also with that turbo i need to up grade the injectors and fuel rail correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    also with that turbo i need to up grade the injectors and fuel rail correct?
    You definately need to do some reading. A VF22 or a VF34 will be fine with the stock rail, and STI pink injectors.

18-20 psi is pushing it with the stock BOV. some say they experience some leaking, some don't. at the level of upgraded turbo, i'd say swap it to be safe.

the Forge seemed to work well for some, and i've driven a VF30 stage 4 with it, and it seemed to work fine. sounded great too. i've also heard good things about the HKS

dR

ok so jus to make sure have u ever heard about the sotck fuel rail leaning on the 3rd cyl?
    if not then ive been mis informed

ok so i got the BOV by GFB the stealth so if i want full Blow off i can if not then i can make full return what u think got it for 270 brand new buddy hooked me up

I Support ClubWRX
    ok so jus to make sure have u ever heard about the sotck fuel rail leaning on the 3rd cyl?
    if not then ive been mis informed
    Of heard of it, but it seams to be more rumor than fact. Some people say that you are fine up to 300whp on the stock rails, and some people such as Dan from Godspeed believe the lean #3 cylinder has nothing to do with the rails, and doesn't believe in changing them.

Quote Originally Posted by God
    Actually I find fueling is much more consistent with the stock rails. It takes me twice as long to dial in a car with rails because the fuel curve is all over the place. As for evening out fuel, you can if you want. Pity the reason #3 and 4 run leaner is not fuel though. Bottom line? I run 400-500 whp with stock rails. I have never changed them here. I will not sell them despite there being profit in them. Other notable engine builders believe the same including Turbo XS. Take it as you will. If you still want to waste your money on them it is up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Yes I always run stock regulator and rails. NO matter what. Changing fuel pressure can cause drastic changes in the harmonics inside that rail. They are designed as a standard 3 bar system and should be left as such. I certainly don't have the million dollar+ machines to properly measure internal harmonics and pressure waves inside a fuel rail. Neither do these companies making so called fuel rails which is exactly my point. As for #3 and 4 the lean condition is not caused by the rails in my opinion, although you'll find argument to this.

if you dont have it already i would suggest some EM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Nah, it was Colonel Mustard, using teh shockAr in teh bedroom.

hks, greddy, turbosmart
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

obviously, someone's trying to sell you something. The stock BOV is good to 20 PSI, and the stock fuel rails will handle any turbo that you find on ANY stock WRX (pretty much any VF series). I also went through several BOV's. They worked "ok" on a stock setup, but even with a stage 1 accessport, ALL the aftermarket BOV made my car run like crap...ok maybe not like crap, but I could definately feel the hesitation they cause. Also, you develop a nasty black spot on your tailpipe (and even the bumper) from all the unburned fuel every time you shift.

Also, as someone who actually dates, I can tell you that not ONE woman that I drove was impressed by the BOV. In fact they found it annoying. I'd recommend using the money for something that will actually boost your performance. Heck get some SS brake and clutch lines, even THAT's better than a BOV.

After almost 4 years of debate and practical real-life testing I think the BOV debate has been beaten to death. Bottom line: it will hurt performance. don't get one unless you're planning on more than 19 PSI of boost (which will require a specially built motor anyway), and chicks don't dig it.

PS I've heard that the lean/hot #3 cylinder is caused by a badly designed water jacket rather than fuel rails. Besically, there's a "dead end" for coolant near the #3 cylinder and it gets less cooling than the others. At stock temps this isn't a problem, but when you start pushing 19-20 pounds of boost, the water jacket just can't handle the extra heat.
    Last edited by blarg; 03-10-2005 at 04:45 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Fairly comprehensive I'd say.
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

so stock BOV is perfect what about BOVs that are 100% return?

im looking for the exact part...any word on where a flange can be found yet??

BOV question

I have heard a rumor that a after market BOV can cause engine damage. Is this rumor true?