"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 331

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; By the way...I am not against ECU mods or Tuning. I am working up to that. After I do the ...

By the way...I am not against ECU mods or Tuning. I am working up to that. After I do the Downpipe and the rest of my TBE then I will see about tuning. I just have personally had reliable results from an otherwise unorthodox list of mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Just because you have been lucky, doesn't mean it's true. Tuners have tried to make intakes work, and have had trouble stabilizing the AFR's. Most of the gains you are feeling are from you leaning the car out. If you are hearing audible detonation, odds are you are doing damage you don't know about. 100% atmospheric BOV's are known to cause a rich condition between shifts, that isn't an assumption. You are raising boost without extra fueling, and leaning out the mixture with the intake. I would assume your EGT's are probably pretty high also. It's your car, you are welcome to do whatever you want with it, but when you come here without proof such as AFR logs, or EGT readings, it's just opinion at that point.

I agree. All I can vouch for is the reliability I have experienced. Without hard proof from computer readouts...no one knows for sure. I may be trashing my motor unknowingly. I listen for unusual sounds, and am constantly feeling for differences in driving. Maybe I have just had good luck over the past year.

Has anyone else had experiences similar to mine they want to share? I mean, with the 'bad' mods working well for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Just because you have been lucky, doesn't mean it's true. Tuners have tried to make intakes work, and have had trouble stabilizing the AFR's. Most of the gains you are feeling are from you leaning the car out. If you are hearing audible detonation, odds are you are doing damage you don't know about. 100% atmospheric BOV's are known to cause a rich condition between shifts, that isn't an assumption. You are raising boost without extra fueling, and leaning out the mixture with the intake. I would assume your EGT's are probably pretty high also. It's your car, you are welcome to do whatever you want with it, but when you come here without proof such as AFR logs, or EGT readings, it's just opinion at that point.
    A big +1
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I'm one of those people who thought intakes were fine and this and that blah blah blah simply because I never got a check engine light. However the car DEFINATELY ran leaner with the intake due to the fact that it caused a lower MAF reading which caused the stock ECU to lean out.

Stock ECU's run so much timing from the factory that if you lean out the fuel at all it WILL get detonation...you just may not hear it. I never could on my STi but when I hooked up my Utec with the intake I couldn't keep the damn thing from knocking. it felt more powerful but it knocked all over the place. So then I took it off and put on the stock intake. Less power but knock went away. Then I tuned with the stocker and BAM more power. WAY more power. I prolly could have tuned with the aftermarket intake but I'm convinced the only way they make power is by leaning out the car. If you were to tune for both intake and stock I could bet that the numbers would be nearly identical.

Cliff notes:
    Intakes on stock ECU are bad mmmkay.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    My suggestion....get engine management and tune the knock out safely rather than putting the engine in an extremely rich situation attempting to "jerry rig" the fix.
    Exactly how I feel. But I would suggest getting rid of the intake completely and put the stock air box back on. You stated above, jdwinters, that your intake made your car ping. Just that alone and all of the threads you have read here about intakes being bad for WRX's should have automatically made you get rid of it. The stock intake system was very well desinged and is hard to outperform with the stock turbo.

Then you put the BOV on and now you don't hear the ping anymore. That doesn't mean that your engine isn't detonating still. It does't have to be audible to do damage to your motor. I can't explain why it isn't detonating anymore, but you may still have a problem.

Sell the intake and buy yourself some other useful mod for your car and save your motor.

Quote Originally Posted by jdwinters
    My car runs great, and I drive the piss out of it. I have had it for a year now and I don't ever drive it without my foot to the floor.
    -JD
    That explains it!
    I bought my car with a hks bov and txs short ram and drove it like that for about 8 months. i never felt/heard/etc anything that caused me alarm. the car ran great, why mess with it?
    well, eventually the anti-cai/bov sentiment started to kinda piss me off. Everyone was saying they were catastrophic but i found not even a hit of physical proof, only anecdotes and hearsay.
    so, I purchased the stock pieces used and decided to give them a shot and if anything, make the arguements less hypothetical and more objective.
    Truthfully, the difference was not very profound and virtually unnoticeable at WOT; however, its all of the other times that matter. the daily driving, in between shifts, smoothness was all subtly better with the stock components. Since my wrx is my daily driver and I still haven't gotten to replace the UP (stupid mother nature ) but, Iíve decided to stay with the stock components until I get a huge 16g, fmic ,etc.
    if your driving spirited most of the time, you probably won't even notice what I am referring to but, i can assure you SOA parts are a bit more "polished". the cone intakes tend to give a much more aggressive/loud sound, I certainly have mistaken that for power in the past. until there is some dyno evidence i really don't think anyone can be certain one way or the other. (i would really be interested in g tech feedback more because of how much actual driving conditions affect the findings).
    Our engines run rich, this wears on the cat and that can and has cause failure on both stock and non-stock engines. They put a cat right before our turbo, which makes failure extremely expensive. Honestly, unless your catless, it seems like a unreasonable risk for just 5 hp, but to each his own.

my philosophy goes... don't fix what isn't broken, don't replace what doesn't need replacing. Stock airbox with the stock BOV is perfect. Many people fail or choose to neglect the fact that the 1G bypass valve is a VERY good bypass valve, especially stock. The stock airbox was engineered well. Bov at least 200 bucks, and intake around 200 bucks. That's the downpipe of your choice right there, or 100more bucks and you can score an Accessport or used UTEC.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

bump no answer yet
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

I have a pretty much stock wrx but with silicon IC hoses and a scooby sport axelback (mods so far...) well i decided to try out these CAI and i had an offer for a cheap AEM. well before the CAI i was getting about 300miles before my next gas fill up. ( I would drive till the needle hit 1/4 a tank or just under.) When I installed the CAI, my mileage shot to 325-330 a tank. possibly due to the ECU "learning" my lean mixture. I had the intake on for about 3 weeks and now my mileage is getting worse, I'd say about 280-300miles to a tank.

this piece is fun for a while because you get the cool sounds of shifting and what not, but I cant say i really felt a noticable difference in my "get up and go"

Once it starts to get hot again here in AZ i plan on switching back the stock box and worry about my crucial up/downpipe shipment

On a related note, anyone want to purchase a AEM cold air intake? blue with minimal scratches??
    Meow listen here!

Bov Help!!!

hey im looking for good BOV for my04 WRX im not sure what brand to go with i dont want to get a CEL!!! i hate those things. let me know what you guys think
    Thanks

You might get some more help in the engine performance forums. But they will just tell you to search so.......

I don't recommend an after market BOV. I've personally ran 3 different ones and I didn't like the way they performed. The best of them though was the HKS.

I'm not sure why you want a BOV but Worx makes one that plumbs back up to 100% No CEL issue.
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

the reason i need to upgrade BOV is b/c ive been told that thwe factory one cant hold boost much more than 14 PSI on WRX?? is this wrong? i am upgrading my turbo and looking to push 18-20 PSI when racing only so i need a bov that can handle that

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloRacing
    the reason i need to upgrade BOV is b/c ive been told that thwe factory one cant hold boost much more than 14 PSI on WRX?? is this wrong? i am upgrading my turbo and looking to push 18-20 PSI when racing only so i need a bov that can handle that
    The stock BOV is good up to about 20 psi. What turbo are you going to run?