"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 330

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by jdwinters Alright, I had a theory and it has been proven true for me, I want to ...

Quote Originally Posted by jdwinters
    Alright, I had a theory and it has been proven true for me, I want to verify my notes with everyone else. So if anyone can contribute info on this...bring it.

I put a Blitz intake on my car and recieved great gains...but started getting a little pinging on the top end of the RPM band in each gear. I am sure this is because of the lean condition that some intakes are known for giving.

I had heard that a 100% atmospheric BOV would cause a rich condition at the top of each gear (durring shifts). So I got a HKS SSQV. And I can't say I have recieved any 'gains' but I sure havn't seen any performance losses. And as for the motor...I don't have the top end pinging anymore.

Anyone that can verify similar results post them. I would be curious to know if the people that have had performance problems with a 100% atmospheric valve, if they have an intake? I think the combination of the 2 makes them balance out.

your theory sounds pretty interesting. my best guess would be to use an A/F meter inside to watch? i am sure a dyno could tell ya!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I actually recieved the BOV in the mail from a client I did some design work for about a year ago. His company was having hard times so he couldn't afford to pay me, so I wrote it off as a loss. Out of no where, a few weeks ago (about a year after I did the work) he calls and asks for my address.

The next morning FedEX dropped off my HKS!

Nice!

-I agree, I need a gauge to tell what is going on for sure.

engine knock is a big problem that a lot of our cars face. The knock is due to two different causes.

1) Your AFR is too high
    2) You are running too much timing

With the intake I'm guessing you are running too lean and you will richen up between shifts for a split second and may be able to prevent shift knock...but nothing else.

Don't forget though when you run that rich you run the risk of washing unspent fuel down the cylinder walls which will mix with the oil and lose lubricating properties causing engine failure.

My suggestion....get engine management and tune the knock out safely rather than putting the engine in an extremely rich situation attempting to "jerry rig" the fix.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    People have thought of this before. Unfortunately the BOV-induced rich condition happens at a different time than the intake-induced lean condition. They don't cancel each other out. Both mods are generally considered useless, if not destructive on an otherwise stock WRX.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    People have thought of this before. Unfortunately the BOV-induced rich condition happens at a different time than the intake-induced lean condition. They don't cancel each other out. Both mods are generally considered useless, if not destructive on an otherwise stock WRX.

when would be the best time for those components? after you do your up/down pipe, IC, chip, etc...?

could u get away with just doing up/down pipe and turbo back?

Yes, but you have to have the right type of engine management, UTEC or Hydra I think that has a special setting to adjust for atm. set-ups.

Your stock bov may have been bad..?
    I don't see how you could get any or atleast any notisable gains from a bov unless the bov you have was faulty/bad..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

First the STi has posted gains from the install of certain intakes on a stock engine. The WRX does not see these same gains.

With that said the stock air box and BOV are still very good units. I would a leave both of them on until I went with a FMIC.
    Last edited by WRC_Obsessed; 03-03-2005 at 07:31 AM.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMedic
    when would be the best time for those components? after you do your up/down pipe, IC, chip, etc...?

could u get away with just doing up/down pipe and turbo back?
    Never!

If you love your car, do up/down pipe and proper engine management.

I wasn't trying to say I got performance from the BOV. I was simply stating that it is my theory that the common downfall with the 100% atmospheric BOV, had helped my lean condition.

And as far as an intake not giving gains... I don't believe it. I got more gains from an intake than I did with an uppipe.

I asked Mike at Kingpin the other day about bang for the buck mods. He recomended an intake.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wasn't trying to say I got performance from the BOV. I was simply stating that it is my theory that the common downfall with the 100% atmospheric BOV, had helped my lean condition.

And as far as an intake not giving gains... I don't believe it. I got more gains from an intake than I did with an uppipe.

I asked Mike at Kingpin the other day about bang for the buck mods. He recomended an intake.
    That theory would be wonderful if the two problems happen at the same time, which they don't. .
    The intake creates a lean condition at the top of the RPM scale, and the BOV creates a rich condition after you have let off the gas while the BOV is venting.

Question 1
    What are considered great gains with a intake 2~3hp???

A BOV does not increase performance unless your extremely modded otherwise you just sound cool.

Installing both does not cancel the problems they both can create.
    Its known that running an intake on the Subys is not exactly a great idea because of the problems that are known to show up because of the MAF and ECU. Besides the fact that the stock box flows well enough for most modded applications.

Do you own a WRX?

Is it stock?
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

did you tell mike you have a wrx? your uppipe has a leak if you got more gains from the intake than the uppipe.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Yes...I pointed across the parking lot to my car, and said that is it right there...

Then I asked him about bang for the buck stuff. I don't remember whatelse he mentioned...but he did say i could do an intake (which I already had).

I am not here to prove any facts to be false. I have just noticed alot of people take heresay and assume it is the truth. I remember reading about how CAI are HORRIBLE for your car. I bough my car in Rhode Island and it had an AEM CAI on it when I bought it. I planned on swapping it out right away for the stock intake, but I thought I would see how it would do. It didn't give me a single problem or a CEL the whole way to Arizona. I drove with it around for another couple of weeks with no problems but put the stock intake back on because of all the drama I had heard. I noticed a noticeable drop in performance when I put the stock intake with a high flow filter back in.

I just don't believe all of the stuff I hear anymore. If someone has a story that is first person and they can verify that a failure happened because of an intake...I want to know, but everyone just 'heard' they were bad, so they don't try it.

I have had great results from my intake, BOV, and boost controller. All of which are mods that people say to stay away from. My car runs great, and I drive the piss out of it. I have had it for a year now and I don't ever drive it without my foot to the floor.

The purpose of this post was to inform everyone of my own experiences. I don't know why the BOV stopped the knock...I understand that the rich condition is at the wrong time in the rpm range... I don't know why it worked, but it did. i don't have engine knock, and I don't have sputtering, missing, or rough idle. I was just stating, that from my own experience, I have had great results from the mods I have. FIRST HAND. So anyone that heard intakes were bad for your car from your friend, whose friends cousin had one and it blew up his motor. You can compare his stories to mine.

The only drop in performance I experienced was when I put my cheap 18" wheels on. I bet they weigh 40 lbs with the tires. (i don't know for sure, but I will weigh them this weekend). The car slowed down dramatically. I happened to have the stock intake on when I put those wheels on, and when I swapped it out for my Blitz intake, it breathed some life back into it. I walked away from a SRT-4 the otherday, and I have raced 2 C5's that never got more than a half car lenght on me. My car is tight, and it runs well.

Take it for what it is. I am not trying to convert the comunity here. I am just sharing info that I experienced. I will think twice next time if you guys don't appriciate it.

Mods to date:
    -TXS Boost control set to 14.5psi
    -axle back Flowmaster
    -Blitz intake
    -gutted uppipe

I am going to the track this weekend. I will post my timeslips if anyone is interested.
    -JD