"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 323
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After further reasearch, I misspoke. Worx recommends graphite engine grease for their valve. You can walk into any auto store ...

I Support ClubWRX
    After further reasearch, I misspoke. Worx recommends graphite engine grease for their valve. You can walk into any auto store and get a tub of it for cheap.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

lithium based is nothing like wd40. you can get it a variety of viscosities (even in a spay can) its very good stuff to have around. i'm sure that it would work just fine in a bov (others have used it).

the turbosmart unit calls for a light sewing machine oil. (better than 3-in-1 oil.) the piston in a channel style of BOV needs constant cleaning and lube. There is another style that is like a valve with a stem that works longer between cleanings. Some dis-similar metals will make a battery effect with salt (plating). Light sanding with 1000grit will free up any BOV followed by a metal polish, then a light oil.

My BOV adds 75 HP!

i spoke with TURBOXS about this over the phone when my type H was sticking, or so i thought, but thats another story (attesting to my downsyndrome). he told me that most BOVs do NOT require cleaning to prevent sticking. however, he claims that because of the hood scoop on our cars, he recommends a good cleaning after 15K miles or so. he said he did this to his own car once and never bothered cleaning it again. i followed his advice and cleaned mine about 15K miles ago and haven't cleaned it again (im currently at 33K). hope this helps...
    _\m/
    \m/etal

"Odin's birds like wolves in battle - they spread their black wings - like swords like oars - in the waters of Njord"

Yea, thanks for all the help. I'll just go ahead and buy that blow off valve.
    04 JBP WRX sedan
    -it gets me from A to B

thanks for the info... ans i didn't see the sticky but i will check it out

No prob.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBORNEGUYWRX
    P.S. Im also in the army where this is a big deal!!!

hahaha, umm okay. . .
    1997 Milano Red GSR GT32E powered, LSVTEC
    mo pOwA than ur subiE bicH! jk...but shess quikk

1997 milano red Civic
    SI wannabeeeee

Worx Tuning BOV flange is too big!

I picked up a Hyperflow TMIC this weekend and discovered and interesting fact when I attempted to install the Worx BOV in the parking lot.

The Worx flange is about 1cm wider than the stock BOV flange!

This caused some interesting problems. Luckily, I had an extra TXS type-H sitting at home that has the proper flange size, but I want to use the Worx! It was performing beautifully, eliminating all the problems I've been experiencing with the TXS (compressor surge, etc).

So, moving beyond the informative stage of this thread, I'd like to know if Worx manufactures another flange that would fit. Do I have to grind the thing down until it fits? What's up?
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

mmmm recirculating Greddy yummy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOV.jpg  
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

blah this one is too large to be attached

05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

bov harmful during cold season?

i have an turbo xs rfl and was wondering if i should put it back to stock since i'm in indiana's 0 - 30 degree weather. will the cold be damaging???
    '02 silver sooby
    blitz spec r ebc (7 lbs daily, 15.5 spirited, 17 at the track)...turbo xs rfl...vishnu catless uppipe...turbo xs catless downpipe...turbo xs catless catback...k&n drop in filter...step colder plugs...walbro 255...zex wet kit w/purge (55 shot)

my friend had one and made a whistling nose even while idling in the cold, he went back to stock and has no problems

Banned

Should I take my BOV off?

Few of my buddies are telling me to take my HKS Bov off and that it is for sure making me lose power... is this true? I love the sound and the epxresions I get from people..lol but I don't want to be losing power.. I currently have a 3" TBE ecutek and this BOv.. should I lose it? also... I don't have the stock one if I do take this off is it ok to just take it off without puting the oroginal one back on?
    Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    It won't actually make you lose power just because its one there. If you are not having any problems with driveability, the car ildes fine and you are boost correctly, don't worry about it and leave it on.

The reason I didn't have faith in aftermarket BOV's when I had my WRX was because my GFB would almost make the car die when it was at idle, and the Forge 50/50 would flutter heavily under boost. So I always stuck with the stock BOV. Well, and the fact that I get sick of the PSSSTTTTT after a while.

To tell you the truth, I have a HKS BOV on my SRT-4 right now and I am enjoying the sound. But it will probably come off the car in the next few weeks when I can't stand it anymore.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.