"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 32
+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 790 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282132532 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How the hell can you SMELL LEAN!?! "Hmm... smells like ya gotta buncha air in there... that ain't no gud" ...

How the hell can you SMELL LEAN!?!

"Hmm... smells like ya gotta buncha air in there... that ain't no gud"

WTF?!

Maybe they meant "rich" and used the wrong word. either way, scratch that place off your list.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That is a real mystery. I have the same BOV and I have never seen the CEL light go off. My BOV is set at 50/50 though. Try putting the BOV in and set it at 50/50 and see what happens.

yeah..bov was on properly, etc. etc. etc. Kinda wacked.

i'm going to run it stock for a while and see what happens. Then put it back on and set it for 50/50 instead of 100 and see what happens.

strange strange i tell ya!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like the moral here is don't boost higher if you aren't willing to pay for more gas!!
    Shane
    Aim Higher Go Navy!
    Platinum Silver 2002 WRX Sedan

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    No comment...

Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Two biggest killers of gas mileage on the Rex:

1. ECU reset
    2. Air conditioning.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by wrxinthehouse

1. ECU reset
    2. Air conditioning.
    I couldn't possibly agree more!

Does anyone have HKS SSQV BOV?

Hi, does anyone have this blow off valve? how does it sound and whats the quality comparing to the TXS rfl bov? i'm thinkin about order this hks bov.. its $280 compare to the txs RFL for $175
    Nothing happens until something moves

i have one..

hey.... I have a HKS sequnetial bov.
    It sounds great!!
    I got it for 200 shipped from someone...I love it.
    I think it's the best BOV. It sounds TIGHT!
    It will turn heads for sure.
    I heard that RFL is really freaking loud. If you want HIGH pitch WOOSH...then go with HKS..if you want low pitch LOUD A$$ woooosh get RFL...That's all I gotta say.

Originally posted by wrxinthehouse

1. ECU reset
    2. Air conditioning.
    This doesn't really apply to mileage, but the A/C also sucks up power like crazy. I have to rev up to 2 to 3k before engaging the clutch to avoid hesitation.
    Thanks,
    Ali

I agree.... AC is a killer on power. But seriously.... less gas mileage than your old Dak R/T? I got 12mpg on a good day in mine...
    -Rob W

02 WRX Sedan 5spd Midnight Black
    --- Mods: Godspeed Uppipe, Blitz SBC-id

01 LS1 Firebird Formula

stock BOV as boost source

i'm a little confused here...

the larger tube (1" OD or so) coming into the stock BOV is from the Y before the intercooler, right? so the BOV is seeing pressure from that line coming into it, so when the butterfly is suddenly closed in the throttle body it can vent the pressure in the system, right? where does the smaller hose coming out of the top of the BOV end up, back to the intake? i was under the impression that the stock BOV was 100% recirc, so everything would be vented back upstream. i don't understand then why that line is always seeing pressure. i thought that line would only see pressure when the BOV vents (between shifts). why is there always pressure there? is there another inlet for the BOV line, under the mounting bracket? i thought it was on the front of the intercooler just for hte mounting. maybe there is something under there that i can't see. could someone just quickly explain how the BOV system all works together, and why that line coming off the top of the BOV always has pressure in it, especially if it dumps back in where i thought it did...back upstream in the intake somewhere. i tried searching, but just found little bits and pieces. thanks.

yes it recirculates it back to the intake, you wouldnt see pressure when it vents, you'd see a release of pressure,
    or a vacuum after the release. Theres pressure in that line when it builds boost because it IS 100% recirculating. Otherwise you wouldnt be able to put a boost gauge tap there, and is also why that isnt a really good place to put one.

so where is the pressure relief valve in the whole scheme? if that is just one solid circuit, where is it holding pressure in? you said the boost gauge wouldn't see the pressure relief, why not? what is the stock BOV set to release at, or is it not a pressure relief valve? i'm not being smart here, just confused as to how it works.

It's not one solid circuit,
    and it does see the pressure relief,

It just sees the back end of the pressure in the system.

Picture it without the BOV and turbo first,

take one solid exhaust piece,

now add a T to it but off the T is a dead end.
    This dead end is where your gauge would be reading from if you put a gauge right off the BOV in closed position

you read pressure because it is connected to the system but kinda on a back alley of it

once the BOV opens, it now becomes a circuit as you put it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.