"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 313

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just continue playing with the hard/soft settings. When I had that BOV i use to have it on the hard ...

Just continue playing with the hard/soft settings. When I had that BOV i use to have it on the hard settings most of the time and when i set too much soft, my car would stall.
    04 WRX Java Black

Mods:
    Cobb Accessport (running stage 2 91 oct), GReddy EVO Catback, Helix Up/Down pipe, Samco IC hoses, Eibach springs, Rota SDRs wheels, Worx BOV, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy bushings and Omori Boost and EGT gauges.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

where the recic pipe would go install a breather cone ( looks like a little intake) you can get it at like auto zone or pep boys it cost like 10 bucks that helped tons!!

Mine works fine in recirc. I have both springs still in. It's a little stiff but seems to hold boost great.

Edit: Also if you want to hear the sound get either an short ram or do the intake silencer hack. You'll hear the noise. Sounds pissed off when it vents.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJokerRED
    where the recic pipe would go install a breather cone ( looks like a little intake) you can get it at like auto zone or pep boys it cost like 10 bucks that helped tons!!
    If I go and ask for it will they have any clue what i am talking about? I live near Clearwater FL, It seems that any time i go to a local parts shop and say the word "turbo" their minds go blank with confusion. Most of the time they just blow me off to an after market shop a million miles away. If you have a link to what one looks like so i can try to better locate it I would appreciate it. As of right now I only have a CEL light on and if i rev the engine at all no matter what RPM, when i release the acclerator the RPM's fall to around 100 or less and cause the engine to "stumble" then it returns to near 700 or somewhere in that area.

Thanks again for the info I am willing to try about anything.

hey u dont need a breather cone... all u need is a recirc plug.. where the recirc kit goes into the tube that is about the size of a golfball... plug that up. and start with u vavle set to the hardest setting and turn 1/2 a turn softer till you get the desired idle. if i was u lol i would sell that and get the Hks SSQV.... thats what i did and i love it .

good luck tho

its best to order that plug from pep boys i belive its called a expanable hose plug or something like that

[QUOTE=Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.
    [/QUOTE] hummm Albert Einstein. Nice choice.

I pluged it up. I actually went to a hardware store and bought a steel plumbing plug for like $1.38 or something. I need to order another BOV gasket to mate my BOV to the flange tho I think i may have a small leak. My idle is now smooth its just the return that stumbles to 100 RPM's. IN fact other than the CEL and the return it works great. How would I resolve the CEL problem now? LOL im about to go with a turboxs RFL it if will solve my 2 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    or do the intake silencer hack. You'll hear the noise. Sounds pissed off when it vents.

Never heard of it. What does that intail?

Quote Originally Posted by enash99
    Never heard of it. What does that intail?

Jack up the car and pull off the splash guard in the wheel well. unbolt the intake silencer and just pull it out. Good to go.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

I run the type S on my STi 100% recirculating and it works great. Just like scooby24 said, when this thing is vented its sounds like a screaming eagle, but its not worth the car running poorly. You will however here some sort of bov sounds with an intake. I have a typhoon and its plenty audible, but the bov sound you here will be a deep pshhhh sound under WOT, and just a flutter under normal to low boost.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    Jack up the car and pull off the splash guard in the wheel well. unbolt the intake silencer and just pull it out. Good to go.

Heading for the tool kit!!

the greddy type S is amazing sounding when its venting. i had it on my talon tsi awd and it was LOUD!!! It screams....i am definately gonna be going with another greddy type S for my wrx, ill try it vented at first...but i have a feeling i wont like running rich inbetween shifts...because i sure didnt on my talon.

I am now running back in recirc mode. I had it stall in a turn yesterday. After that nice "stearing experience" i had I went right home and put it back on. And bam the problem is gone. To bad. I like hearing the happy sounds that it makes too.

review of the new rfl bov!

alright guys my rfl bov came in the mail today. its the new improved one (check turboxs website for the exact improvements) and let me tell you they did a great job! it was solid and well made.

I will admit that i was skeptical after reading about how its not a good bov and it affects idle etc, but i wanted a loud one and decided to take a chance, especially since it was the new version.

install was cake, took about 10 minutes. after turning the car on the idle was perfect. in fact, it might have been better than when i had the stock valve. also, this was with no washers.

on the first drive the bov sounded a little weird and not very loud, but i suspect it needs to break in. also, the instructions didnt say anything about oiling the valve so maybe i should?? anyway, i had 0 problems with it.

i put 1 washer in just for good measure because maybe it wont be stiff enough to hold the 20psi im pushing through the engine. well see though when i really get on it.

anyway just wanted to post this so people know that the rfl doesnt suck anymore! i think its the best bov if you want the sound!
    04 black sti, gold rota torque, turbo xs tbe, turbo xs rfl bov, utec

someone trade their rfl axleback for my regular turbo xs magnaflow!!!!!

alright if idle is fine and it seems like its holding boost, is there any need to add washers? i have one but with 0 it also worked fine..
    04 black sti, gold rota torque, turbo xs tbe, turbo xs rfl bov, utec

someone trade their rfl axleback for my regular turbo xs magnaflow!!!!!