"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 31
Page 31 of 789 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131531 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got back from another long trip and I currently have 380 miles on the current tank. Sure I'm ...

I just got back from another long trip and I currently have 380 miles on the current tank. Sure I'm running on fumes, but I figure 14-15 gallon fill up will give me around 26 MPG. I've had the JoeP a while back ago, and a full catless exhaust. This has been the best MPG I've ever gotten in 12k miles. Maybe it has something to do with the 15W50 Mobil1 synthetic I just put in before the trip...
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by pace
    ...Forcing the the car to produce that extra power by employing a heavy right foot absolutely will impact your gas mileage...
    I couldn't agree more. The thing is, once you have more boost and you get that awesome feeling of acceleration, you tend to fully depress the gas pedal more often!

-Jim

TXS BOV's are 100% atmosphere. The connection you see on top is for the vaccum line used to open the valve.

Just to let you know, the H-type BOV is pretty loud. I've heard it in person, and it gets attention. If you're looking at the H-RFL, listen to what their site says. I think you can figure out what the "RFL" stands for.

Performance-wise, aftermarket BOV's tend to have stronger springs, hence they seem to hold boost a bit better. But as the air is not being plumbed back into the intake, they tend to make the car run rich between shifts. HOW rich, I don't know.

-John

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    oh right lol i forgot about that

yeah but even though shiv does tec-II it doesn't mean it comes as part of the stage zero package - hmm....i wonder what stage 2 will be like?
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it's kinda pointless to boost your power if ya ain't gonna use it!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

So what good 50/50 BOV's are there? Also i was thinking or doing a solinoid switch or something, that lets me use the computer controller for boost or switch to manual, u know anything about that?

There's the GFB one (www.subaruwrxparts.com) that is 50/50, and I beleave the HKS SSQV BOV can be set to 50/50 as well. Not sure who sells the HKS unit.

And if you're asking about boost controllers, they certainly do exist.

The cheapest route is to get a manual boost controller, anywhere from $25 worth of parts at Home Depot to $240 for a 2-stage switcahble unit from TurboXS.

The most expensive is an electronic one. They run from $120 to over $600, and allow a "finer" control of the boost level inside the cockpit. Some even allow boost control based on RPM's and what gear your in. Some have multiple solenoids, and so on. It's all about what level of control and functionality you need.

-John

All i really want to be able to do is be able to switch between a manual boost controller, and the computer controller. I read somewhere that someone did it

i have a rfl its loud but not that loud( only loud if you want it to be) my car smells rich if i blow off while sitting still (showing off) . but a little extra gas does seem to hurt my drivablity though
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

Question BOV causing a CEL (P0340?!)

Anyone else here have the same problem or something similar?

My car has been throwing a CEL off and on the past few months. P0340 -- Camshaft Position Sensor. Went to the local dealership (not my dealer unfortunately) and they replaced the sensor. Then it started again about 2 weeks afterwards.

Took it in last week and they couldn't figure out why it was throwing the CEL so they called Subaru. SOA told them that I needed to remove my GFB BOV and put the stock one back on. So I did it, and the CEL disappeared and today the dealership said my car is fine and that the BOV caused it.

I told the guy that that sounded really fishy cause the BOV should have nothing to do with a Camshaft CEL! Anyways, that's what he said SOA said.

What gives??!?! I'm going to run my car with my stock BOV on right now and see if the CEL returns. If so...grrrr..

Anyone else with a similar issue?

~V
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thats a mystery, the bov shouldnt cause a cel. What did the dealership say was the cause of the bov throwing a cel?
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

: : J-Lovin Moderator: : PhreeZe's Avatar
    What kind of a bov were you using? Maybe you try the Blitz bov....

Right, but you DID know about it, didn't you

Gary
    Sheehan Motor Racing
    www.teamSMR.com

GFB BOV. I was running it 100% atmospheric. Another weird thing...they said that my car smelled 'lean'.

Uh..let's see.. BOV + Catless uppipe = lean?!?!

so my confidence in them is pretty low...

hehe

As far as what made the BOV cause the cel..they couldn't say..just that when i replaced it with the stock they said 'yup, that was the problem'. grrrrr
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

: : J-Lovin Moderator: : PhreeZe's Avatar
    Originally posted by Valien
    GFB BOV. I was running it 100% atmospheric. Another weird thing...they said that my car smelled 'lean'.

Uh..let's see.. BOV + Catless uppipe = lean?!?!

so my confidence in them is pretty low...

hehe

As far as what made the BOV cause the cel..they couldn't say..just that when i replaced it with the stock they said 'yup, that was the problem'. grrrrr
    Sounds like they were just lazy to solve the problem. Is it possible that you installed the bov wrong? Or didnt tighten everything enough?