"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 304

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I used a light coat of 10w30 for my WORX BOV. It says in the instructions to use "common engine ...

I used a light coat of 10w30 for my WORX BOV. It says in the instructions to use "common engine assembly lube".

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

don't use graphite, it will get into ur motor.... bad things possible. use lithium lubricant. it can come in pressurised cans or in a grease form. i use that for my txs rfl, and also my bushings for shifter and sway bars and all my other things that need lubricant.
    I LOVE WINTER!!!!

H4N

Bov

i'm sure this has been covered but i couldnt find it a straight answer sorry.. i was wondering on an 03 WRX do u have stalling/running rich issues using a BOV? if so, what combonation of parts do u use to run a BOV?

-HaN

Ill help you out this time but search's do help. Depends what are your mods and do you have any em. But yes it will make your car run like crap.
    Last edited by nvmywrx; 11-22-2004 at 11:08 PM.

H4N
    thx , i have none i was just wondering, so putting a bov on stock will run like crap?

oh god yes.

yep, and you have a small chance of melting your stock uppipe cat.

H4N
    thx

according to the guide that came with my worx, it says "graphite based or redline assembly lube". Im trying to find out where I am supposed to find this stuff.

BOV Gasket????

i've done a search here but haven't come up with much. when i replaced my factory bov with my turbo xs there was no oem gasket. i've been on some websites that sell these bov gaskets when you change your bov, is the gasket necessary or what's the deal? i've never heard of a bov gasket untill tonight. thanks for the help
    2006 World Rally Blue WRX Limited, VF39 (STI Turbo) 334HP/340TQ

It is necessary. Go to your local auto parts store and pick up some gasket material and make your own. I have a Mr.Gasket gasket for my bpv.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Your money is better spent on an uppipe or handling mod.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

while a bov is not a performance mod, and because of that it isnt a respected mod on this forum, it isnt going to make your car run like crap if you have it adjusted correctly.
    its a common misbelieve that your car will stumble or stall or just run poorly with an aftermarket bov, but all of that stir was created by poor installs. if you get a bov that vents to the atmosphere you NEED to plug your recirculation hose so its sealed off. i talked to a guy once that said it wasnt necessary to cover up the recirc hose but it was probably a good idea only so nothing got into the intake. a lot of people also dont have the tension on their bov adjusted correctly, so its not creating enough pressure to seal off the system fully.
    anyways, there is a lot of misniformation about blow off valves. it is true that they misbalance the air that the ecu is planning to get and will create a rich mixture in between shifts which can be hard on cats and will also inhibit afterfire (and flames ). i have also found personally that shifting was slightly slower with a bov that vented to the atmosphere.
    so, there you have it. different mods for different people. your money is spent the best when its put towards what you want to put it towards .
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

While there are better ways to spend money, some people like the sound, and we all like our cars for our own reasons. The HKS bov I installed did not affect my car in a negative way. I actually learned something installing it, which was easy, and had fun doing it. It is nice to start simply when doing mods, and working your way up to more involved things. HAVE FUN!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

H4N
    thank you guys, i already love this forum, you guys are much nicer then vw vortex