"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 300

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Into the intake... you can get something like a 50/50 that will send half to the intake and half to ...

Zem
    Into the intake... you can get something like a 50/50 that will send half to the intake and half to the atmosphere, but that's a different product. No compressor surge, it just makes less air get sucked through the air box.

If you moved the MAF sensor, then it would no longer see a consistent pressure. It would be a far more complex sensor... right now it just measure velocity, and

massflow = area * density * velocity

But if you make density no longer a constant (as in, changing the pressure)... then it no longer has much use. You could somehow integrate it with the MAP I suppose, but... meh... really, this system works fabulously for anything but people who want aftermarket BOVs....
    Let justice be done though the heavens should fall.
    -John Adams

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

next time, take me more seriously.

*locked*

CAUSES OF CONVERTER FAILURES

Fouling, clogging, melt-down and breakage of the ceramic substrate inside a converter are common conditions that can cause problems. Plugging is usually the end result of a melt-down, which occurs because the converter gets too hot. This happens because the engine is dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust. The excess fuel lights off inside the converter and sends temperatures soaring. If it gets hot enough, the ceramic substrate that carries the catalyst melts.

this can be found on many webpages with a google search

as you know, the wrx is one of very few cars with a pre-turbo cat which is why THIS SPECIFIC CAR will have a problem.. .not a problem with all cats.

So what's the deal with these supposed 50/50 valves that recirculate boost while still making the happy little noise that so many people want? Does a BOV of this type affect the whole running rich issue any better? (I'd hope it would)
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by burrito007
    as you know, the wrx is one of very few cars with a pre-turbo cat which is why THIS SPECIFIC CAR will have a problem.. .not a problem with all cats.
    that's why it has to go
    I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

yes! it has to go! (hopefully mine will be gone friday)

Fouling, clogging, melt-down and breakage of the ceramic substrate inside a converter are common conditions that can cause problems. Plugging is usually the end result of a melt-down, which occurs because the converter gets too hot. This happens because the engine is dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust. The excess fuel lights off inside the converter and sends temperatures soaring. If it gets hot enough, the ceramic substrate that carries the catalyst melts.

this can be found on many webpages with a google search

you really are not going to give up huh?
    well, i will YOU WIN

(no matter what i say you want to bat the same issue around from thread to thread. thre was alot more info in the megan header thread i started, but since it was off topic and i lack self control; it was closed. i explain things and you just reply to argue; you clearly have in intention of adding to the discussion. if you actually understood the info you keep posting (which btw, contridicts itself), you wouldnt keep posting....)
    Last edited by BigClunke; 11-10-2004 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseybacon
    So what's the deal with these supposed 50/50 valves that recirculate boost while still making the happy little noise that so many people want? Does a BOV of this type affect the whole running rich issue any better? (I'd hope it would)
    im just guessing, but i bet by about half

Both conditions can cause converter damage like this. Converter substrate will melt between 1600 oF and 2000 oF. So lean running (High EGTs) can cause this. But, running rich will cause unburned fuel to burn in the cat. Ignition failure (weak spark, retarded timing) will also let unburned fuel into the exhaust. This can cause the substrate temperatures to soar over 2200 oF. This is how 99% of cat meltdown happens. Either rich mixture, or ignition will definitely do it. The stealership is going to blame the rich condition caused by the BOV. Now, on the other hand, if you had a defective O2 or ignition problem that was covered by warranty, all subsequent damage from the failure (including turbo) should be covered. All they need is a good excuse, and unfortunately BOV is a good excuse. Sorry, man.
    just so you everyone knows...
    the number in this post were entirely made up by isbob in the nasioc thread (not the kind of words i would want to steal). our egt's are very close to being this hot, if my memory serves me correctly they reach ~1400 and when you add the heat the unburn fuel adds, it soars above that "melting point"
    substrate isnt even close to the right word for the catalyst, if anything the substrate would be the exhaust gases.
    the bottom line is, you should not have this cat on your car. it was improperly engineered and should be considered a accident waiting to happen; bov or not.

Just let those who want it get it, and those who don't not. IF there are draw backs, the user will find it out the hardway.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

I usually make it a point to go ahead and race a car that makes a loud PSSSHHHH just because I've never lost to one yet. Hondas, Acuras, Mitsubishis, etc. with a loud BOV is 99% sure win for me. It's supposed to announce "I'm a super-duper fast car," and I find pleasure in making their weenies shrink up in shame. I'm sure someday a car with real power will go PSSSHHHH right by me, but there are too many gutless wanks out there with BOVs...the odds are in my favor.

double posting? more like a milionth j/k
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Loudest BOV?

I just got my REX im new to this ****, i heard a BOV a couple days ago and it sounded awesome, what are some inputs on the loudest BOV..? alot of people n i been hearing the Turbo XS TYP-H-RFL.. is that tru?

Loudest BOV?

I just got my WRX, and i heard a BOV few days ago on a STI and it sounded awesome, can some1 tell me what the loudest BOV is, i been told the Turbo XS Type-H-RFL..? is that true?

Before somebody flips and flames you.. yes the Turbo XS RFL (real *****ing loud). Is probably the loudest BOV for the WRX.

Do a search next time and you will fine so many threads on this that your eyes will bleed.