"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 293
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; damn, 18 hrs!...

damn, 18 hrs!
    i only live for 1 thing and that is to spend money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dude, I can change an Uppipe in less than 8hrs, what took so long. I plan on this being a 1 dayer, or 2 half day'er project.

I'm still waiting for my Qtec cutout to come back from QuickTime (repair) before I install my set. I will let all know what a difference it makes on a 2.2L w/ VF30! I'm hoping the difference will still be night and day as scoobaru reported...

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Heders combined with a UP can be a really fun install, be glad yours had a flex section on it. I got to see some of these headers first hand on thursday night. I wasn't under the car so I didn't see how the install was, but they were hitting the subframe of the car right over by where the front O2 sensor is.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobaru
    night and day, worth the money i can spin in first gear, all four tires, i know have, boost controller set at 14.5 constant, then megan headers+uppipe, 4in bellmouth dp, apexi n1 full exhaust, apexi intake, forge diverter valve, put 4 cars on a GSR integra, with intake full exhaust, tuned vafc, igntion, stock manifolds suck, new **** is the bomb would not do install again, send it to a shop its not worth it took me 18 hours to do it all, in 2 days, what a ***** its all done and fast as all hell btw stock turbo has no pull past 105 or is that just the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokescreen
    Save your money to buy something usefull like an uppipe.

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)

do headers, and uppipes make noise themselves?

i had to bend the edge of the subframe to make them fit in place, my downpipe was hitting the crossmember, so i adjusted it. its good now. however i still fear a leak, but i cant feel any, what gives. you can reach your hand all around and nothing. do headers make a sound themselve? or an up pipe that you audibly here? a leak isnt impossible but dont you think that at a steady 5grand rpm i would be able to feel a leak, like ive said before when i put my ear up to the head i hear the clicking, exhaust leak sound, so i check the gasket that bolts to the head, and there are no leaks. simply sound like the air moving through the pipe, somebody help me out thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ride5000
    why doesn't everyone use a greddy evo muffler? anything else is just extra noise, right?
    Because I bought one with my last car and had nothing but problems. Fitment, rusting, breaking inside and out.

I dont know much about their other products but GReddy will never get money from me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex
    Because I bought one with my last car and had nothing but problems. Fitment, rusting, breaking inside and out.

I dont know much about their other products but GReddy will never get money from me again.
    Wow, first time I've seen an Evo go bad. You had fitment rusting and breaking problems? Man must've been a knock off. My Evo 2 has 50k miles on it, perfect fitment, no rust except a lil carbon build up, massive abuse and no breaking.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

glad to hear everything went so well (minus the installation)
    if you can breakloose in first then i'd imagine you gained some torque from the install (at least you didnt LOOSE any like some had predicted).

what are your observations on the time it takes the turbo to spool up?

did you have a stock up pipe on before the install?
    (i am looking for a subjective (preferaby objective) test to be done with a catless up pipe vs. this headder/up combo. it would add more insight on the possible benefits of the headders vs stock manifold.)

could you please be more specific about the modifications necessary to get the headders to fit? did you just smash the frame until it bent enough? should an aftermarket subframe be considered? would it even help?

what makes you think you have a leak? what noise are you hearing?

you could have a leak anywhere near the turbo and it makes some pretty crazy noises, depending on the size and severity it could leak at any range in the rpm band, i think i have a dp leak that is not audible untill 6.5-7k, since i almost never rev this high (intentionally ) i havent bothered to correct it. i imagine that it will be fixed by the time i have my tbe refitted and this, headder/up combo installed with some new crucial gaskets.

thank you for taking the plunge and trying these out first. im sure that you wont be the only one with them on their wrx for much longer...

It just dawned on me....
    Does the clicking kind of sound like a sewing machine? This is the natural sound our engine makes. it is partially because of an unequal length exhaust manifold (as well as the H engine design). This gives the engine kinda a "rumble" because exhaust gasses from one side flow through less restriction than the other side (hope you can visually picture this). By adding different headers you have altered the length and shape of exhaust flow and therefore, changing the engine sound.
    A leak problem tends to be pretty audible and sounds like a very high-pitched scream that becomes worse in higher rpms.
    Donít discredit a leak though, did the Megan headers line up with the exhaust ports well? If you had to "squeeze" the pipes too much then you might not have a flush surface and that could easily cause a leak (this would cause more of a "sputtering" than high-pitched noise).
    How was the fitment of these headers (aside from subframe)? Are they awkward at any point in the install? because if you have a leak i would check thoes areas first.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealWRX
    Wow, first time I've seen an Evo go bad. You had fitment rusting and breaking problems? Man must've been a knock off. My Evo 2 has 50k miles on it, perfect fitment, no rust except a lil carbon build up, massive abuse and no breaking.
    I seriously doubt it was a knock off, but it wasnt stainless. I have heard of problems with their products before. Consider a member of a not so elite group

i will anwser all the questions for yall, please respond.

ok big clunke, turbo spools MUCH FASTER, you know how when you mash the throttle it take forever to go from 1 to 3 grand rpm well no longer it revs much faster to 3 grand, then its quite humerous from 5000 to 7200rpm the rpms the thing revs like a honda, and the speedo looks like a tach gauge, the megan headers i used were the up pipe and header combo, my car was BONE stock before i did these mods, i did my mods all at the same time.

as far as mods to make them fit, not a big deal no aftermarket subframe needed. just hit it with a metal hammer and it will bend up without issue just put some man behind the hammer. i noticed the one of the tubes touches the oil pan BARELY im going to try and put some heat wrap between them but i dont think its that big a deal because they move with the motor, and beleive it or not they headers dont get that hot, i know it sounds weird to most, but about 10 minutes after a drive you can grab them with your hands, you have got to remember that the headers are thin wall stainless so there not going to hold heat in for shiit compared to iron. just the property of the metal.

they fit the heads perfect just slipped right on no problem these things are built awesome, i wish megan would pay me for giving them probs but oh well, i called them and told them some suggestions and they told the enginers who will hopefully listen to me. i told them to put studs on the front two flange bolts instead of bolts with nuts, the **** is so tight in there you have to use studs i use the bolts and nuts, cause thats all i had it took me 3 hours to get it done, it was bad

the reason i feel i have a leak is cause the noise is VERY loud, but i started the car ran my hand all around all of the flanges and felt nothing, i felt around the plug for the EGT, felt for it around the O2 sensor felt nothing however when i put the car up in the air, i stick my ear right next to the heads and i hear the noise, i beleive its the valves and the air rushing through the pipe, but why would the noise be so high pitched, i mean it sounds like the turbo but im pretty sure its not, ive had my friend listen to it he says he cant hear it but **** you can hear it over the exhaust, the noise increases with rpm, the higher you go the more steady it becomes and the louder, i mean its loud as ****, it sounds raspy,

the headers lined up perfectly umm it kinda soundsl like a sewing machine at idle, then it gets alot louder a sewing machine is a pretty good analogy to how it sounds, would that be able to be heard over the exhaust, my friend says its valvetrain noise. mine doesnt sound like a scream, i wish i had away to record sound, umm its like this i had an old chevy that had a manifold leak it sounded like piss piss piss piss, this sounds like a zing, zing zing, more metallic, more sewing machine i just dont get it if i had a leak i would feel heat and air moving, i dont as stated above the sound is really strong around the heads, yet no leaks around the head. it just maybe that the pipes are so thin compared to stock and the fact that the exhaust is coming out the port almost supersonic, i just wish someone else would put them on there car and tell me the same thing i am

if anyone has any more questions feel free, the headers went on super easy the up pipe being on the headers was a great design they go in like a glove the reason it took me so long was because disassembly of stock, then getting the up pipe out that was the *****. but going back in was cake, i had trouble tightening the bolts on the uppipe to the turbo, them was *****es,

oh yeah

it sounds more from the passenger side by the collector, which is possible all the air rushing into the collector would be pretty loud i guess. um it sounds like right by the flex section, and again rubbed my hand all around it no leaks, i think its the air rushing into the up pipe whats yalls opinion? also to ad i broke one of the studs on the far right its only job is to hold the flange to that little mount, nothing to do with sealing just support the turbo already has one support and when the motor torques it doesnt torque away from the bolt it torques with the flange so i see no real purpose for it

I've been going out every day and looking at my new Headers still sitting in the box, wishing I had time to work on them this week...

I am hoping next weekend or so I may find time to do it...provided my Qtec valve comes back repaired in time.

Damn, it's like waiting for Christmas when I was younger!

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Quote Originally Posted by BigClunke
    do you really think that bov and CAI are really as bad as many on this site make them out to be? (they might not be worth the money, but they dont destroy your car) do you think that the most vocal members on thoes issues are the most informed?
    i guess the point is, its the internet and dont forget that

yes ... yes they are... they kill more cars than stg4

almost killed my car on more than one occasion with dangerous lean and rich conditions (somrimes right on top of eachother)

-burrito

Please elaborate?
    Can you explain how being rich in between shifts has any effect on throttle performance? The rich mixture is expelled pretty much as soon as the engine makes its next revolution. That hardly justifies an appreciable performance loss.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.