"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 292
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; You got used to it....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this thread gets The Bear and nothing more.....

I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

i have noticed a change in noise when the season changes a bit. if you adjust the screw you can fine tune the bov, if it bugs you that much.

Quote Originally Posted by subaru prelude
    Do you only loss power if you have a MAS sensor? Or is it all times when under 20psi you lose power? On a lightly modded car, is there any benefits to fitting an after market bov that reciculates? Also when a recirculate bov open is it just acting as a resivior for the air till the turbo slows down? Becasue, maybe i'm wrong, but isn't a recirculate vent the air back into the intake pipe after the turbo? So it would be just adding more air space but if the turbo is spinning fast, it'll fill up that airspace and you'll still be left with the problem that the bov is trying to eliminate?
    Example- I put a HKS bov on mine and coundn't hold boost up top. I took it off and the problem was solved. No boost = lost power. The needle would just climb, stall, and drop like a rock.

A rec. bov would be just like the oem cbv and plumb the air back into the intake. If you want to get a rec., then I would just keep the stock one. Saves you money to buy something usefull like an uppipe.

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)

VR4
    The RFL works really well... its only the open atmosphere aspecs that can make it seem like the BOV is crappy. With a proper tune the car will run fine with an open atmosphere BOV, I've never had any stalling probs or such or even noticed large rich amounts after purge on the logger. However, no matter how carefully you tune whatever fuel computer your using you can still notice where the RFL makes you go rich (On the O2 voltage), but only a small amount.

Note: all on vr4, but I'd guess it applies to the rex

That being said the next BOV I get will be the Greddy type-s, these things run flawlessly on the vr4's and while the RFL runs good it can never run perfect because its an open atmospheric BOV. RFL sounds BADASS though, really miss that.

PS: if your stock.. don't slap on an open atmosphere BOV

Quote Originally Posted by VR4
    The RFL works really well... its only the open atmosphere aspecs that can make it seem like the BOV is crappy.
    Not true. I've had experience with three different 100% atmospheric.

TurboXS = teh crap

HKS = teh better

Greddy Type-S = teh bestest

Greddy Type-S made recirculating = teh winnAr!
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

hmmm, $100 and it works great for me.... and whats the cost for the other "teh" better???
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBORNEGUYWRX
    hmmm, $100 and it works great for me.... and whats the cost for the other "teh" better???
    I bought my HKS for 160 on a group buy. Bought my Greddy for 175 used.

It's worth the extra 60 to 75 bucks to get better IMHO. Trust me...upgrade...you won't regret it.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Hope you don't singe a cop when you dowshift on a catless exhaust while he pulls you over.

have no probs with my rfl sounds good, and wait till you go catless my back bumper looks like a BBQ grill after about a week or so, no biggie cleans up with degreaser but it does shoot teh flame pretty good
    Aspen white/gold 03 sedan *SOLD*
    Aspen white/gold 06 STi STG2 Bailey ProTuned

I have seen many cars that are normally recirculate and then they switch to an atmopsheric, while still using the stock MAF sensor? Are they are reasons/benefits to doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by subaru prelude
    I have seen many cars that are normally recirculate and then they switch to an atmopsheric, while still using the stock MAF sensor? Are they are reasons/benefits to doing this?

dude its easy, there is just the "bling" factor, I have a TXS RFL BOV, the only thing it does is scare people!! nothing changed in performance.....
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

just put them on my car

night and day, worth the money i can spin in first gear, all four tires, i know have, boost controller set at 14.5 constant, then megan headers+uppipe, 4in bellmouth dp, apexi n1 full exhaust, apexi intake, forge diverter valve, put 4 cars on a GSR integra, with intake full exhaust, tuned vafc, igntion, stock manifolds suck, new **** is the bomb would not do install again, send it to a shop its not worth it took me 18 hours to do it all, in 2 days, what a ***** its all done and fast as all hell btw stock turbo has no pull past 105 or is that just the car?

Quote Originally Posted by scoobaru
    night and day, worth the money i can spin in first gear, all four tires, i know have, boost controller set at 14.5 constant, then megan headers+uppipe, 4in bellmouth dp, apexi n1 full exhaust, apexi intake, forge diverter valve, put 4 cars on a GSR integra, with intake full exhaust, tuned vafc, igntion, stock manifolds suck, new **** is the bomb would not do install again, send it to a shop its not worth it took me 18 hours to do it all, in 2 days, what a ***** its all done and fast as all hell btw stock turbo has no pull past 105 or is that just the car?

PUNCTUATION, YES!

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBORNEGUYWRX
    dude its easy, there is just the "bling" factor, I have a TXS RFL BOV, the only thing it does is scare people!! nothing changed in performance.....
    Opposed to your stock Air BPV that recirculates, your ECU will get different readings when it realizes that all your boost is being vented as opposed to recirculated. This causes your ECU to make the A/F mixture to become more lean to balance out the airflow that isn't being recirculated and causes you to run rich everytime the new fully atmopsheric BOV vents. (Let off the gas, engage the clutch) How extreme your ECU will read depends on how much boost you vented, which means, if you're at higher boost levels and you let off the gas or engage the clutch you'll run rich at a slightly higher level than other conditions. You can deduce the rest from there.

When you say nothing changed in performance, consider what the unit does first then make a statement. Every modification changes the integrity of the performance of the car. No matter how small or how big. Or for the better or for the worse. It does change it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.