"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 291
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by TheBoostCreep seriously takes like, what, 5 min. to take the stocker off and put an aftermarket one ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoostCreep
    seriously takes like, what, 5 min. to take the stocker off and put an aftermarket one on?

Glad you're still liking it, though. I have a Forge sitting in my garage that a friend loaned to me and I go back and forth between whether I should use it or just give it back. Ran it for like a week when I first got it and I did notice a slightly "choppier" acceleration. Dunno. Sounded cool tho
    what does it sound like? ill take it off your hands if you dont want it, lol
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

VR4
    I had the RFL on my vr4 absolutely zero probs with it aside from it being Really F'n Loud. No joke, my friends could hear me coming blocks b4 I arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx&998rduck
    yes i will be, any questions before i start?
    no, just get your ass out there and do it!

Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

i love VR4'S...

this thread reminds me of that george strait song or something. check yes or no....

A quick noob BOV question

I'm a little bit confused. What is the benfit of an atomosphric blow off valve if every time it goes off, you loose boost? A recirculating bov still lets you keep some boost. There has to be another benefit besides the audio aspect. Also, in order to run an atmospheric bov, do you need to convert to a MAP sensor?

No benefit whatsoever in lightly modded cars. You will actually lose performance. An aftermarket BOV is only necessary if you are running more than 20 PSI of boost.

Most people install the BOV for for the "bling" factor.

You loose boost on stock, or any mid range turbo for that matter. Atmospheric BOV's are necessary for high boost conditions running 20+ PSI to maximize venting efficiency.

This thread makes me laugh. The ONLY people who think Turboxs RFL BOV's are good are the one's who haven't tried something else. I've tried a modified stocker, the RFL, HKS, and now have Greddy Type-S.

RFL is the worst BOV evAr. Saying the RFL is good is like someone saying a 17 second honda is fast and believe it just because they has never driven anything faster.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBORNEGUYWRX
    NO idle issues at all!!!! no studdering... and im using 2 washers.
    Only two, wow. No boost leak either?
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

alright,
    i'm fully catless with an uppipe, and tbe. I tried venting my stocker and i got crappy idle and fireworks out the exhaust , i recirculated it right away. Whats the diff between 03/04's? Are there people who run an atmospheric bov without problems on 03's?
    VF-39 Powered
    298.71HP/282.36TQ on 93Oct
    319.32HP/308.27TQ on 110Oct

The stocker is not going to work as atmospheric. It's a junk BOV. The only reason why people think it operates so good is because it's recirculating and even if it leaks boost the air still stays in the system so you don't lose much power.

I would recommend going against atmospheric of any kind. Buy a Greddy Type-S. If you want to leave it atmos you can and it sounds sick as hell but if you want the best performance then make it recirculating and you'll run very good.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Do you only loss power if you have a MAS sensor? Or is it all times when under 20psi you lose power? On a lightly modded car, is there any benefits to fitting an after market bov that reciculates? Also when a recirculate bov open is it just acting as a resivior for the air till the turbo slows down? Becasue, maybe i'm wrong, but isn't a recirculate vent the air back into the intake pipe after the turbo? So it would be just adding more air space but if the turbo is spinning fast, it'll fill up that airspace and you'll still be left with the problem that the bov is trying to eliminate?

Question bov question

about a month i installed a hks bov on my car, i was real happy with the sound it produced. about a week after that i installed a aem short ram intake. the sound of the bov even got more intense and louder. after learning that the intake is not good for the car i took it of and just put the stock airbox on without the silencer or the elbow. now it seems like the bov is not as loud like before i even put the inake on. last night i was shifting the car all the way to 6500 and i barely hear it. other than the hks ssqv and the silencer delete my car is fully stock. does anyone have an idea why the bov seems to be not as loud now compared to when i initally put it on? i even resetted the ecu and everything.

*Bites tongue* My guess is that you just got used to the sound.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.