"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 29
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 789 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129529 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; you're probably on the throttle a little more than you used to. if you like the power of the mbc, ...

you're probably on the throttle a little more than you used to. if you like the power of the mbc, but would like better mileage too, i'd look into a solenoid system so you can switch back and forth between the stock bc system and the mbc. you pretty much get the best of both worlds. actually, i don't really switch the mbc on unless i want to play around racing or on the back roads. i think the stock system does a much better job of mixing boost control with throttle position, which relates to better gas mileage. my mbc is off probably 90% of the time. my gas mileage is getting better as the car builds more miles, as i've read its supposed to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh, that reminds me i just reset the ECU the other day. Maybe that has somthing to do with it.

I Support ClubWRX
    More power and better gas mileage generally don't go together. Sure, you can make an engine more efficient and get both, but that's not what you're doing here. Turning up the boost simply rams more air into the motor. To make the best power, you need to stay with a certain air/fuel ratio. So when you ram more air in, you have to put more fuel in too. Sorry.

Yeah, the motor loosens up a little with mileage, resulting in less internal friction. That way less power is getting wasted just turning the motor, so you're not on the gas as much to get the same result. You get a little more power too. This IS a case of the motor becoming more efficient.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by kaizenfighter
    Actually, the air that is vented back into the intake is vented after the maf sensor so that will have no effect on anything. In response to the above post, I think there is a kit that allows for the 50/50 setup
    on the contrary, that is exactly WHY it will have an effect. you see, if your BOV vents 50/50, the MAF already thinks there is more air in the system, but in all actuality there isn't since you vented air to the atmosphere. since the recirculated air is after the sensor, it doens't get recounted and the same amound of fuel is added - but since there is less air the mixture is richer.
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Alright...I REALLY want this HKS BOV. Is the mixture going to be significantly richer to where you guys would completely advise against it, or is it just a minor thing.

Fahd

It's not bad for the car. You just may notice some hesitation. A 50/50 would cause less hesitation.

I didn't want to take it off the race car because it sounded so good. But, everything must be sacrificed for all out speed, so off it came and we went back to stock.

Gary
    Sheehan Motor Racing
    www.teamSMR.com

Originally posted by WRXin'
    Alright...I REALLY want this HKS BOV. Is the mixture going to be significantly richer to where you guys would completely advise against it, or is it just a minor thing.

Fahd
    I would think it will be primarily noticeable immediately after an upshift when you are 'on it'. The car may bog slightly as the ECU effectively dumps too much fuel. If you drag race at the strip and are concerned about your quarter, this is probably a big deal. Otherwise, it's probably of little consequence in daily driving.

-Pace

Originally posted by AaronC
    Oh, that reminds me i just reset the ECU the other day. Maybe that has somthing to do with it.
    This has A LOT to do with it, an ECU reset kills fuel mileage. If you stay out of the boost, fuel mileage should be comparable to before.

-Jim

I Support ClubWRX
    my take on it is that at worst, with normal driving, you'll just get worse gas milage.
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I see...so could the richness of the mixture be adjusted by remapping the ECU?

No, the ecu won't know when the MAF is telling it the truth or when the MAF doesn't know that it lost all the air in the system.

The only way to run an atmospheric venting BOV properly is to install an engine management system that uses a MAP sensor to calculate fuel.

Gary
    Sheehan Motor Racing
    www.teamSMR.com

I Support ClubWRX
    what kind of engine management system are we talkin' about here? ...like, how much would a *reliable* system cost?
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

What kind of mileage are we talking about? I used to get 22 to 23 mpg driving mixed on the stock 5 spd. But the last time I got gas, my mileage was down to 16. I have been running the A/C more than before. Could this be the problem?
    Thanks,
    Ali

question..

I have a question.
    It might be a dumb question....excuse my lack of knowledge.
    I just ordered a HKS super sequential........
    my question is....... do I close the hose that orginally vents back into the intake? And how?

HKS super sequential BOV

Hey guys.
    I'm still a newbie at this wrx world. I don't even have 1000 miles on my car yet. But I bought a HKS SSQBOV..........does anyone else have this? Can you tell me if the kit includes a cap(or some sort of cap) that closes the hose/hole that is originally vents back into the intake?
    Or do I have to go get it my self?
    Does anyone have HKS SSQBOV installed in their car? Do you have a pic of it? Anything will HELP!
    Thank you very much. And I appreciate the help.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.