"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 288
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got it and love it. It was a bit of a PITA to get it to recirculate because getting ...

I've got it and love it. It was a bit of a PITA to get it to recirculate because getting the pipe lined up and everything can be a bit of a challenge but the end result is well worth it. Be prepared though if you don't have the silencer hack or an intake you will not hear this BOV at all. it's completely silent when recirculating with the stock intake. However I have a GPMoto intake and it sounds SICK. It's a very aggressive POW and it's a much quicker acting BPV than the stocker. I've noticed my Boost peaks higher and hits full boost a hair quicker. Not to mention I gained 1/10th of a second with the thing.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for everything guys

I am loooking at getting headers and an up-pipe for my 04 sti, but it seems like everyone just does the up-pipe. Why? I am looking to make betweeb 325-375whp. could I do this with stock headers and up-pipe, or do I need to replace both? I was looking at one of my old import tuner power pages and it had a wrx that gained about 10hp (i think from invidia headers). In a later issue they upgraded the pipe the connects the heads and that added like 4-6hp.

Quote Originally Posted by chibich
    I am loooking at getting headers and an up-pipe for my 04 sti, but it seems like everyone just does the up-pipe. Why? I am looking to make betweeb 325-375whp. could I do this with stock headers and up-pipe, or do I need to replace both? I was looking at one of my old import tuner power pages and it had a wrx that gained about 10hp (i think from invidia headers). In a later issue they upgraded the pipe the connects the heads and that added like 4-6hp.
    yeah, but if you gain 10hp from header, but just an UP will give you 6hp why the hell spend the extra money just for 4hp.. especially when aftermarket headers are prone to problems and you often lose some low end power.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I have a set of these Megan Racing headers in my living room right now that I got off ebay. I havn't installed them yet, so I can't comment yet on fitment, but the quality is definately there. It's a 4->1 design, and the welds all look good on it. The built in uppipe is also a flex pipe too. It cost $250 shipped, and came with all new gaskets, bolts and nuts.

On initial inspection after receiving these, I noticed that the uppipe diameter looks to be bigger than stock/godspeed uppipe. I havn't compared them side by side to verify, but this looks to be the case.

I took some pics to show the quality of them... and I'll let everyone know how they fit when I install them in a week or two (too busy right now). If anyones wondering, I have EJ22T w/ VF30, Cold Air Intake, and 3" Qtec cutout + supporting mods and UTEC. Are you guys trying to say that headers (reguardless of brand) aren't going to make a difference on my setup? I can see your claims for a stock car, but a Stg 4+ car should see some good improvements.

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Pics of Megan Racing Headers

Here are some pics of the header design and quality...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Megan-Headers---01.jpg   Megan-Headers---03.jpg   Megan-Headers---04.jpg  

i am glad you posted thoes positive results (on construction). the once piece design seems to make more sense to me.
    it seems to be a consensus here that headders just arnt worth it, but not a whole lot of first hand experience or graphs to back that up. it would be nice if someone could add some objective results to this thread, even first hand experience would be helpful here.
    i know that there is a really long thread on nasioc that tested a whole bunch of headders and the conclusion was that all were beneficial, thoes results were given in a article in a summer issue of S3 (midwest car mag). i would be interested in headders that were tuned to maintain and/or improve low end torque. i really find it hard to believe that none of the ten or so headders made for the wrx, have accounted for low end torque.
    the wrx isnt a drag car, id like to believe that some aftermarket companies would also share that philosophy.
    still, everytime the issue is brought up, its shot down pretty quickly.
    im not claiming that others are misinformed, but it just dosent add up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_rex
    plus, you lose the beautiful boxer rumble/pop. unless you're shooting for 400awhp+, headers aren't worth it.

dR
    do you lose it completely or just tone down the rumble?
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by jmussetter
    I have a set of these Megan Racing headers in my living room right now that I got off ebay. I havn't installed them yet, so I can't comment yet on fitment, but the quality is definately there. It's a 4->1 design, and the welds all look good on it. The built in uppipe is also a flex pipe too. It cost $250 shipped, and came with all new gaskets, bolts and nuts.

On initial inspection after receiving these, I noticed that the uppipe diameter looks to be bigger than stock/godspeed uppipe. I havn't compared them side by side to verify, but this looks to be the case.

I took some pics to show the quality of them... and I'll let everyone know how they fit when I install them in a week or two (too busy right now). If anyones wondering, I have EJ22T w/ VF30, Cold Air Intake, and 3" Qtec cutout + supporting mods and UTEC. Are you guys trying to say that headers (reguardless of brand) aren't going to make a difference on my setup? I can see your claims for a stock car, but a Stg 4+ car should see some good improvements.

-jason
    i can't wait for the results!!
    i only live for 1 thing and that is to spend money.

Please correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you only lose the boxer rumble if the header is equal length. From the pictures it appears as though this header is not equal length, meaning you will retain the rumble. Again, I am not positive!

I wish I bought a header in the first place back when I was stage 2. Instead I just bought the up-pipe. Now that I'm stage 4 w/18g. From what I've heard, I'm losing power from the poorly designed unequal length runners.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Please correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you only lose the boxer rumble if the header is equal length. From the pictures it appears as though this header is not equal length, meaning you will retain the rumble. Again, I am not positive!
    That's correct. While equal length, may extract the most HP, it looses the boxer sound. I wanted something better than stock, but I didn't want to loose the rumble either, so I was ONLY considering unequal length.

i know that there is a really long thread on nasioc that tested a whole bunch of headders and the conclusion was that all were beneficial
    I read this thread also, and that is why I started contemplating it. Up 'till now, I was hearing that it was a waste of money, but at this level of modification for me, it's either headers, or SuperBigTurbo+SuperBigInjectors+SuperBig$$$ to go faster. If they weren't so affordable, I might have considered the bigger turbo first, but it was too good to pass up, and NASOIC was reporting that measurable gains were being made. Worse case, I'm out $250...

-jason

I want someone to run this header on a stageII rex and see how it is......
    Just call me Clark Kent

ok im gonna order them, and dyno before and after so we can put the argument to rest.
    i will put the $ together within the week and go from there, i will make a trip to easy street and have them do a dyno run to show current power, and go back again and do after mod power......stay tuned, and i will keep you all informed as it gets done.
    05 wrx dont let me down....lol

pm me with input if you guys think of any.

hurry
    i only live for 1 thing and that is to spend money.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.