"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 286

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; what is this thread still doing here?...

what is this thread still doing here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smokescreen
    Please enlighten me and tell me what kind of turbo the STi is running. What kind of turbo is the wrx running? No, we run the same turbos. The STI just has better internals which = more hp.

Yeah, thats it. Make sure you are over 400hp. Not to mention it is impossible to do on a wrx.. Thats a great 1st post to let us know you know nothing. Since no one is running more than 400hp on these boards, I guess we don't/can't have BOVs..b/c it takes 400hp to have one.
    Yeah, a CAI is great for our cars. You've done your reading too. You must feel STUPID.

I give up.
    Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?
    i feel like a nabisco commerical coming on

These threads piss me off. Not so much because of the question asked, but because of the sheer number of useless replies.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that a BOV will do absolutely nothing for your engine performance unless you have a heavily upgraded engine and your wastegate isn't sufficient. So, unless you have lots of modifications like turbo, headers, exhaust, engine management, etc, it will be money wasted.
    Never stop learning.

Also, if you have any other questions. Might I suggest reading the first thread at the top of the Engine Performance Forum. It can be found here. Its got tons of useful information.

Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]
    Never stop learning.

Blow off valve on a stock engine
    Pros:
    Cool sound

Cons:
    Run rich between shifts
    Could cause long term engine problems
    Not necessary until you're running 20+lbs of boost
    Decreased gas mileage

Blow off valve on a modified engine w/ turbo upgrade
    Pros:
    Ability to hold more boost (20+lbs)
    Cool sound -- commonly reffered to as a "show off valve"
    Give yourself some deserved bling bling for running an upgraded turbo

Cons:
    Still might run rich, but with engine management you could help to tune that problem out.
    Still could cause long term engine problems...but when you've done everything to upgrade your turbo, you're running that risk anyway.
    Decreased gas mileage - due also to added fuel (larger injectors) w/ engine management to feed the upgraded turbo more air and fuel.

Things to think about....
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

C'mon guys, lets all settle down a little bit.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

meh, i guess ill clean this thread up a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Just get an intake and you can hear the stock bpv.

Quote Originally Posted by SloPoke168
    Just get an intake and you can hear the stock bpv.

Dont bother with an intake yet. if you want to hear the stock bov you can do the intake silencer removal (do a search for a rediculous amount of topics on it) or just buy whatever bov you like if you feel its worth it. I <3 mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

a bov isn't gonna hurt your car, search around the for sale forum, you should be able to find a good deal on one, fyi my MPG is the same as the day i bought it and look at my mods, if there are 2 things everyone (almost) flames about it'll be A intakes B bov's

welcome to the club
    Aspen white/gold 03 sedan *SOLD*
    Aspen white/gold 06 STi STG2 Bailey ProTuned

Quote Originally Posted by kessler89
    a bov isn't gonna hurt your car
    Can you please provide evidence of this statement? Is it your opinion that this is true, or do you have informative sources for this?

Thanks.

Unless you have a vf22 upgrade or better, a blow off valve will negatively contributed to driveability, performance, reliability, fuel economy, and general heterosexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650
    Unless you have a vf22 upgrade or better, a blow off valve will negatively contributed to driveability, performance, reliability, fuel economy, and general heterosexuality.
    LOL If it is worth it to you to pay 300+ dollars for a nice loud sound, then be my guest. But that isnt the best choice when you have better things going for you, such as DP, UP, Cat Back, IC hoses, Maybe some ECU mapping, bigger turbo or to me personally much more importantly a kick ass suspension set up.

YOU DO run richer between shifts. This is a proven fact. Meaning on a DP/UP/Exhaust system with a BOV, lets say an all venting no recirculation BOV like the HKS SSQV you can be shooting nice fireballs at your tailpipe on the downshift. There are even people who have had this incident with only a cat-back.

Fireballs are nice. Unfortunately cops don't share the same enthusiasm.

the only thing you've stated that it does is A richins between shifts, and B lowers your MPG well i know my car runs rich between shifts cause it shoots flames out but the mpg is the same... prove it you say... well i guess if you want i can post a pic of my gauge cluster with a full tank and the trip set to zero and then report back in a week and then i'll do the same with the stocker on

hehe
    Aspen white/gold 03 sedan *SOLD*
    Aspen white/gold 06 STi STG2 Bailey ProTuned

Quote Originally Posted by kessler89
    the only thing you've stated that it does is A richins between shifts, and B lowers your MPG well i know my car runs rich between shifts cause it shoots flames out but the mpg is the same... prove it you say... well i guess if you want i can post a pic of my gauge cluster with a full tank and the trip set to zero and then report back in a week and then i'll do the same with the stocker on

hehe
    I fail to see the relationship with running rich (more fuel) and improved gas mileage. The way you drive is also a factor, and where you drive (roadtrip vs. speeding around town)