"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 284

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by gusto the people telling you to get one probably dont own a WRX. BOVs are ok if ...

Quote Originally Posted by gusto
    the people telling you to get one probably dont own a WRX. BOVs are ok if you need one but on a stock wrx...you really dont.
    Exactly. You don't need one until you are boosting 20psi+. The stock CBV is fine, but if you want to deal with unneeded ricer attention and a fickle MAF, then get the 100% atmos. bov.

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by overwrxed24
    The thing with the Subaru is that it is different from hondas and other NA cars... BOV's and CAi's will net you results with those cars, but not with the wrx.
    Yes, the BOV is coveted as the ultimate mod for the hondas.

so you know... ive have people tell me to get one that owns other subarus, im just confused about this whole situation.. but thnax for thoes who are helpin me out

Quote Originally Posted by turbowrx02
    so you know... ive have people tell me to get one that owns other subarus, im just confused about this whole situation.. but thnax for thoes who are helpin me out

look you have run into something here you need to be very careful of. You gotta first realize who you are talking to. " YOU DONT" i thought everyone on here was a kid, 18-30 like me but thats not who you could be potentially talking to... The BOV and exhuast issues are perfect examples. You get nerds and people who are affraid of attention and the law and tell you to get quiet exhausts and forget the BOV. The BOV has no performance but its got that "pay attention to my sh*t sound" that people who know somethin about cars, or movies will pay attention to. If someone tells you to take it off its cause they dont think its necessary or "cool" to make a sound when you shift. My personal take on it is that I passed on the BOV till I got something under the hood worth talking about. same with the exhaust. do yourself a favor. if you dont want to immediately get made fun of, search first on BOVs. You will find more info than you can swing your little jimmy at but thats ok. read a little. Some people, myself included, wont make fun of you if you ask questions like that. most people on here think they are idiot savantes and are genious material. listen first till you got the info down... it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix 1193
    look you have run into something here you need to be very careful of. You gotta first realize who you are talking to. " YOU DONT" i thought everyone on here was a kid, 18-30 like me but thats not who you could be potentially talking to... The BOV and exhuast issues are perfect examples. You get nerds and people who are affraid of attention and the law and tell you to get quiet exhausts and forget the BOV. The BOV has no performance but its got that "pay attention to my sh*t sound" that people who know somethin about cars, or movies will pay attention to. If someone tells you to take it off its cause they dont think its necessary or "cool" to make a sound when you shift. My personal take on it is that I passed on the BOV till I got something under the hood worth talking about. same with the exhaust. do yourself a favor. if you dont want to immediately get made fun of, search first on BOVs. You will find more info than you can swing your little jimmy at but thats ok. read a little. Some people, myself included, wont make fun of you if you ask questions like that. most people on here think they are idiot savantes and are genious material. listen first till you got the info down... it helps
    Um...what?

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix 1193

um... wrong. you don't put a BOV on a wrx because when the maf sensor reads the air comming in it measures it before the turbo. once you let off the throttle the BOV sounds and sends some of that air to the atmosphere air that the Maf has already calculated and sent the signal to the engine for. when that air isn't there the engine still puts in fuel to compensate for it. hence YOU RUN RICH. Granted not for very long but EXTREMELY rich non the less . if you wanna foul your plugs and be ricey thats fine but know why your doing it. not for performance thats for sure there is a reason we say what we do. we dont want to ruin your wrx go fast party we want to help you make your car faster and if you want to do that then mods like a BOV are worthelss. it is your money and if you want to do it HKS makes a wiring mod that will compensate for the rich conditions created by their BOV but again that is another $137 on top of the $300~ for the bov that is almost a up pipe down pipe and cheap cat back used off of this forum. but again this is your call there is no reason to get pissed off and say that we don't know what we are talking about or to say that we dont like the sound of a turboed car with a bov alot of us are young too (22 my self) but we take the time to learn about our cars before modding. the wrx evo and any FI car with a Maf are very sensitive to mods it really is a good idea to listen to what the senior members here have to say odd are most of them have gone through what ever situation you will encounter.

that said do what you like just don't act like we are against your or your car cuz in reality we are for you and the life of your car far more than some who would give you negative advice.

good luck and happy modding what ever you may do.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by svc
    Fvk the elves, it's bling season

Sponsored by: BoostBuddy.com

Would it be better if you change your ECU and then get a BOV?

Quote Originally Posted by Okonkowo
    Yes or get a recirculating one like a Turbosmart, where you have no chance of running "too" rich.

Quote Originally Posted by astricii
    um... wrong. you don't put a BOV on a wrx because when the maf sensor reads the air comming in it measures it before the turbo. once you let off the throttle the BOV sounds and sends some of that air to the atmosphere air that the Maf has already calculated and sent the signal to the engine for. when that air isn't there the engine still puts in fuel to compensate for it. hence YOU RUN RICH. Granted not for very long but EXTREMELY rich non the less . if you wanna foul your plugs and be ricey thats fine but know why your doing it.

The stock BOV sends to atmosphere too but the air is recirculated. The difference here is that when you buy most aftermarket BOVs they place a plug in the recirculating line cause its cheaper to make them that way. Anyone ever measure how rich? SSQV, UEGO WB 11.6, logged to notice a spike just incase the WB can't act as quick as the rich condition, and plugs get pulled and they were slightly brown. I think alot of the older BOVs had this problem and people keep bringing it up over and over. I just got of nasioc agruing with someone about this very same issue and he said that the cops should give tickets for kids with BOVs and stuff. You quoted me and I said do as much research as possible. I think people tend to over estimate the BOV issue in new model BOVs

ps btw that avatar is the freakiest thing i have ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Okonkowo
    No, it would be better if you just waited until you got a bigger turbo and need one. Its just wasting money that could be spent goin fast(er).

Personally, I would rather run rich and foul my plugs and shoot fireballs than run too lean and burn pistons...

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)

What about gettin a BOV on a stock STi that has a bigger turbo than the WRX doesn't it?

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    My head is going to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by zoophagy
    My head is going to explode.
    and I HAVE TO PEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

omfg just dont get a bov if your car doesn't have more thatn 400hp. Or a turbo that needs to let out that charged air to prevent backcharge. um, so, just sell the bov or put a cai to get that 2 slow 2 melow sound.

-spyd3r

Turbo XS BOV

I have a Turbo XS RFL BOV on the stock turbo. I haven't noticed any problems with drivability... the car was always a little rough at low revs in low gear, even brand new stock. If anything, after the BOV, CAI and exhaust it feels a little smoother, but that might just be me getting used ot it. Anyway, I didn't put it on for performance... I was told it was better for the turbo, and frankly, I love the way it sounds. It's your car and your money. If it's driving fine and you like it, you go girl!