"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 280

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think it's a headlight thing....

I think it's a headlight thing.
    Steve McQueen's got nothin' on me...
    I'll take you back, west of Pleiades...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

^^^^ Ditto

Bugeyes add 10 hp

I have a panel filter, no problems to report as of yet. I've read about 600 threads regarding intakes, CAIs especially, seems most people don't like em' sans an ECU that can recognize them. In my not so professional opinion, forget the intake, save for TBE, UP, and ECU and then start thinking bout the intake.

Quote Originally Posted by enash99
    So was it all just a waste of money and Im a moron for not doing enough research before buying my parts?
    To put it nicely...yes. The ONLY reason to get an aftermarket BOV is to run more than 20lbs of boost, at which point the stock spring inside your BOV will leak boost. The adjustability of an aftermarket piece is the only advantage, and having it recirculate into your intake tract is a must since atmospheric valves either cause rich conditions between shifts or take un-necessary tuning time to run properly off throttle.

Intakes are all BS unless they are required due to fitment of high performance parts, ie a FMIC, bigger turbo, etc.

Compared to DSM and honda tuning, the WRX is drastically different and responds much less to pre-turbo breather mods. The most advantage for little money can be had in the exhaust phase of your engine. Good luck, sell your intakes to some honda guys and go get catless exhaust

~Tim

Woot! Thanks for the fyi. After reading everyting i have here I wasn't planing on changing the intake just the filter to a K&N. But as for the BOV when I ran it with out the recirc on it I wasnt happy with it. Now that im back to Recirc Im happy again. Shopping for up/down/cat as we speak.

Thanks

less boost after bov

i installed my worx bov in the sti the other day... Ive been playing around with the different settings, but it seems like all of the different ones result in less maximum boost. I floor it and the boost doesnt go as high as before. Maybe I didnt connect something tight enough? any ideas?

any way it is leaking? i am not familiar with that bov, but my forge had adjustable springs, so it could be possible to have too weak of a spring and blow it open.

just an idea.
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver

cheap Ebay(megan) headers, anyone try them.

i have been casually looking for a replacement for my stock up pipe for sometime now. as many people know, the up pipe is prone to leaking, which is one of the reasons i have been slow to do this mod.
    I was browsing ebay and i came across these stainless steal headers. the real advantage to these is that the header and up pipe are welded togather. the welds look good and the material sounds of quality.
    the only reason i didnt buy these already is a consern of proper fitment.
    has anyone tried these headers. this sounds way better than doing just the up pipe but if the fitment is poor then they are a faily expensive paper weight.
    any oppinions are welcome
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
    Last edited by BigClunke; 10-16-2004 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot link...

Haven't heard of them but make sure they are high quality because tubular headers on a turbo engine can warp easily. I've seen a couple of posts from people who had nice expensive headers that warped. I would suggest port/gasket match stockers.

thanks for that info, i hadnt considered that they might warp.
    i have port matched an intake manifold (on my old ranger) and did a decent job but keep in mind, to do a good job is a fair amount of work (3-5hrs) and its not alot of fun. that being said, i would much rather not do it if i dont have to.
    i want to stress the reason im considering these headers is because i would spend about 100 for a cheap up pipe; for another 100 i can get headers too and even more confidence that my up pipe wont leak. then again, if the headders warp, rendering the part useless, i am only futher behind.
    other sellers have dyno charts backing the gains. unfourtinatly, you dont get to see how they look after 20k miles of abuse outside of messageboards like this
    thanks for the quick reply.

This is alittle late, but...

A recirc bov, like the greddy, will act like the oem cbv and push the air back into the intake. A atmos. bov will just vent it out into the air producing the Psssh sound (or whatever your bov sounds like...).

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)

IMHO, headers aren't worth it.

Dyno graphs have shown that aftermarket headers make you lose low end torque while not really adding any power on the top end. Slower onset of boost usually too. The stock headers are better. Ported and gasket matched stock headers are even better. Just get aa flex uppipe and you'll be fine!
    www.awdpirates.net

Low boost - here's what I've tried (*PICS*) ...

My problem:

-I cannot build boost higher than .08Mpa (on the stock gauge) in ANY gear at ANY throttle position.
    -Also, when boost does build.....it builds much slower than it should be. My friend who helped me do my springs/RSB yesterday noticed the same thing when driving it. Really takes its time getting up there, though. When it was stock, it built boost faster for sure.

Things I've tried:
    -I'm 99.99% sure that there isn't an exhaust or up-pipe leak anywhere. So I'm ruling that out pretty much.
    -Checked all the hoses that I can see for things coming lose or tears in a hose. Can't find any, but if someone could suggest a thorough check of them I would appreciate it.
    -When I still had my Cobb AccessPort, I wasnt' hitting target boost for Stage 2, so I did the 2 turns of the wastegate arm clip thing. I'm attaching a picture of how it currently looks. My friend seems to think it's a wastegate issue - but I don't know if I've overtightened the arm or it's still not tight enough
    -I currently don't have my UTEC put in, but I don't imagine that it will help boost as I don't have the ABC or an EBC just yet.

My mods, FWIW:
    -TBE (bellmouth downpipe)
    -Catless up-pipe
    -Removed silencer
    -Samco hoses (which I know are on there solid )

That's pretty much it. I'm begging you guys - help me diagnose this low boost problem. It's driving me crazy. The car has so much more in it w/ my mods and I want to get it boosting properly. Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wastegateclip.jpg  
    Last edited by TheBoostCreep; 10-18-2004 at 09:11 PM.
    I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

When you turned the wastegate arm, just make sure that you turned it towards the passenger side of the car. In other words, so you made the arm "shorter." Then reset the ECU.

I had a similar issue (but not as bad as yours). The only solution for me was to sell the AP. Sorry I couldn't help more

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you ever had the wastegate hoses off? Any chance they could be reversed? Any chance the little pill in the compressor side of the tee could be missing from inside the hose?

Quote Originally Posted by VitaminWRX
    When you turned the wastegate arm, just make sure that you turned it towards the passenger side of the car. In other words, so you made the arm "shorter."
    Yeah, I definitely shortened it. That I'm sure of. Just not sure if I shortened it too much, though. Does my situation sound like boost creep to anyone? Would that be a symptom of overtightening the wastegate arm?? Just wondering if someone could compare my pic to their own wastegate arm and determine if I've over or under tightened.
    I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.