"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 275
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't know what your mods are or what your plans for mods are. But if you are running some ...

I don't know what your mods are or what your plans for mods are. But if you are running some type of EM you could tune around it. I do like the sound and a lot of people have been running bovs without and ill affects. I guess that it completely up to you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got the worx tuning BOV and it is great. Fully adjustable.

Only time I have hesitation is when I have it on 100% ATM, which is always right now. Not enough problems for me to switch it back to 50/50. I am going to try 75/25 here soon and see how I like that.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

ive never heard of backfirring with a bov.

Zem
    Let justice be done though the heavens should fall.
    -John Adams

I'm getting one soon.. can't stay away... It's just to damn sexy
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

yeah, well i figured id bring it back to life. haha. anyways. by adding washers does it change the sound or how fast it reacts or some sort? thanks
    [SLEEPER]
    [noun] A high performance street car with an inconspicuous, stock outward appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanBeefcake
    I think he means afterfire.

How is this even a thread? Aren't there a billion other threads on BOVs?

No running rich is not bad for the engine, just performance.

Yes the stock BPV is junk. Zem take yours and take off the recirc pipe to make it amtospheric and that will give you and idea as to why it's junk. And no it really doesn't hold that much boost. I could hear my stocker leaking boost at anything over 14 lbs. The only reason you don't notice is because it's recirc and goes back into the intake.

You can get an aftermarket BOV without having to seem like a ricer. There are some very good recirculating ones. I have the Greddy Type-S and have been nothing but pleased with it. The car runs much better with it than it did with the stocker.

I would not recomment an atmospheric is you want good performance. I took my greddy and made it atmospheric, ran it at the track, then put it recirc and ran again. I shaved off .2 seconds from my 1/4 mile time.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanBeefcake
    im running the txs rfl with straight (almost) exhaust....just the oem mid pipe is left and no muffler just a straight pipe there too...and i get a back fire about 1 out of every 4 shifts at low rpm ranges. anything above 4500 rpms i dont believe i ever had a backfire occur.

mike
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

Quote Originally Posted by racerWRX
    im running the txs rfl with straight (almost) exhaust....just the oem mid pipe is left and no muffler just a straight pipe there too...and i get a back fire about 1 out of every 4 shifts at low rpm ranges. anything above 4500 rpms i dont believe i ever had a backfire occur.

mike

I'm pretty sure that you are experiencing AFTER fire. Which is unburned gas, igniting in your exhaust, making a popping sound. A back-fire is when a flame front moves back through the induction system, which can be a dangerous situation.

article for those of you looking for that WRC noise (not BOV)

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html

I know that the really cool noise you associate with WRC cars is not made by the BOV (although a lot of people still try it) but I have never been able to find exactly HOW the noise is made. Most people will just say "its the anti-lag system" but offer no explanation. Well I found one and guess what? Not only is it expensive, but unless you've got a garage full of spare motors, its NOT gonna happen.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Adding washers changes the spring tension. The more spring tension, the more boost you'll have to run to vent it.

Eli....it's better than he bumped this old thread than started a new one. Ideally, we'd only have one Type-h thread with everything you'd ever want to know.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    How is this even a thread? Aren't there a billion other threads on BOVs?

No running rich is not bad for the engine, just performance.

Yes the stock BPV is junk. Zem take yours and take off the recirc pipe to make it amtospheric and that will give you and idea as to why it's junk. And no it really doesn't hold that much boost. I could hear my stocker leaking boost at anything over 14 lbs. The only reason you don't notice is because it's recirc and goes back into the intake.

You can get an aftermarket BOV without having to seem like a ricer. There are some very good recirculating ones. I have the Greddy Type-S and have been nothing but pleased with it. The car runs much better with it than it did with the stocker.

I would not recomment an atmospheric is you want good performance. I took my greddy and made it atmospheric, ran it at the track, then put it recirc and ran again. I shaved off .2 seconds from my 1/4 mile time.
    my car is completely stock and i live way the hell up in colorado high altitude, so you would recommend the greddy type-s?

Quote Originally Posted by truWRXtacy
    my car is completely stock and i live way the hell up in colorado high altitude, so you would recommend the greddy type-s?

The thinner air would create a little less pressure but the greddy has two internal springs for adjustablility. Mine currently has both in and works fine so if you remove one there should be no problems.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

so run the Greddy Type-S BOV with only 1 spring and i should be set to go, and wouldn't get rich?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.