"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 274

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; you do realize this thread is almost a year and a half old right? use the washers....

you do realize this thread is almost a year and a half old right? use the washers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'd just take your bov to the hardware store and get some to fit, they're just washers

is this really what a bov does

When the throttle of a turbo engine on boost is released the throttle plate shuts & compressed air is forced back into the turbo, slowing it between gear changes & creating turbo lag.

This excess pressure can exceed five times normal boost pressure & puts the system components under strain. It tries to burst the intercooler & hoses. It puts strain on the turbocharger, stalling the compressor shaft & trying to force the compressor wheel out of the turbo, against its bearings. When engines run high boost pressure it's possible that the turbo compressor wheel may shatter under the pressure.The solution is to install a blow-off valve, which relieves excess compressed air in the intake system & intercooler when the throttle is released. It prevents mechanical damage to the intercooler & turbo pipework, prolongs turbocharger life & prevents excessive turbo lag that would be caused by the compressor shaft stalling

is this what a bov does?

sorry dont mean to high jack the thread, but i've been browsin the forum, and from what i get of it, if you put a BOV on a stock wrx, your car will run lean? i really like the sound of the BOV but not if its going to make my car run lean.

Zem
    That's a little dramatic, but essentially that's what it does. Mind you, the bypass valve does the same thing, so it's not like you're extending turbo life by getting an aftermarket bov.

Edit: A BOV can make your car do strange things when you shift, but during WOT or anything. Just shifting and immediately thereafter.

There are 2 reasons to install a BOV: 1 - You're running more boost than the stock bypass valve can handle (not bloody likely), 2 - You think the noise is super cool (bloody likely).
    Last edited by Zem; 09-27-2004 at 03:12 PM.
    Let justice be done though the heavens should fall.
    -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Zem
    There are 2 reasons to install a BOV: 1 - You're running more boost than the stock bypass valve can handle (not bloody likely), 2 - You think the noise is super cool (bloody likely).
    haha, yeah, the sound does sound cool, but for a whole lot less, u can stick ur head out the window and go pshhhh

so does it make it run lean?

thanx guys I will try it when I get home

Zem
    Quote Originally Posted by truWRXtacy
    so does it make it run lean?
    Alright, when you shift, metered air is sent out of the car. So now the ecu thinks there is more air in the manifold than there really is. So it puts in fuel accordingly... too much fuel. So just after you put in the clutch, you're rich.

You're probably thinking of a cold air/ short ram intake, which, depending on which one in particular (most of them), will make you run lean.
    -John Adams

ahh okay, thanks, so it'll make my car run rich for a second? do you think it'll do harm to the car overall? or it wont really matter?

Zem
    Quote Originally Posted by truWRXtacy
    ahh okay, thanks, so it'll make my car run rich for a second? do you think it'll do harm to the car overall? or it wont really matter?
    I don't use one... you'll have to talk to other people. But, it can cause backfire, so...
    -John Adams

BOV - Question, is it bad?

Hi well i've already read the FAQ and stuff, and i know it makes you car run rich for a second after the shift, but my question is, is this "second of richess" going to damage the car? or is it just a minor thing that dosent really matter? I really like the sound but i dont know if its worth it if it will mess up my car. please advise.

The temporary rich condition isnít usually that harmful, but it can cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle. If the condition is really bad, it can eventually foul spark plugs and even clog the catalytic converter as unburned fuel on the catalytic converter burns very hot, and too much of it can melt the cat.

HERE is the rest of the BOV faq over at nabisco.

hey i sent u the packet of washers with the bov. they work fine

from what i read, just basically stick with the stock one and give up the really cool PSSSHHH sound