"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 266

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; neither mod is really necessary. but if you are really adament on getting a BOV, then I recommend the Forge. ...

neither mod is really necessary. but if you are really adament on getting a BOV, then I recommend the Forge. Its nicely built and its one of VERY FEW bov's for the rex that hasnt caused problems. not to mention it sounds pretty nice. Also, you dont need a turbo timer.... the car is built to not need one.. Just dont race someone and then turn off your car immediatly afterwards

But, once again, if you are adament on getting a TT, then get the Blitz TT DD. Its a turbo timer with a built in digital boost gauge. atleast this way you have some sort of function coming from the part.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i recommend exhaust first..... but if you want something loud the TurboXS RFL BOV is what i have.. im running 2 washers and have had nothing but great results. i also recommend the silencer delete mod, and a panel drop in filter (perrin is what i have) and the TT is not worth it, we have a coolant based turbo, if you want electronic get an engine managemant ( like cobb...)
    thats my 2 cents
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

RE: About BOV

If you are looking for a BOV that recirculates and makes the cool noise, check out the GFB Stealth. Its harder to find one, but you can adjust how much vents to the atmosphere and how much goes back to the intake. I have one on order. Once I install it I will let you know how it goes.
    04' WRX STi Blue w/ gold wheels

Stock.....for now

BOV question for a nubbie :(

ok i want to know whats the difference between 50/50, 100% atmosphere or the other type of bov? which one is better? does it depend on your setup? what does this mean?!?!

why do you need a BOV? are you running high boost or do you just want a noise maker?

i think 50/50 is where half of it is recirculated like the stock one does, while half is vented..this is usually called a hybrid BOV since it's a cross of the two.

atmospheric means it's vented 100% and no recirculation
    FP Green STi

Search. This is an age old newb question that has been asked again and again.

But to get you on your way a 50/50 lets 50% of the air blow off to the ATM and the other 50% is routed back into your intake. A 100% vents all the air to the ATM . Good Luck with that search.

EDIT: Looks as though I was beat to the punch.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

100% venting to atmosphere BOV's make your car run rich, as well.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by Trailboss
    100% venting to atmosphere BOV's make your car run rich, as well.
    Yes, although only very slightly and only for a fraction of a second. Not really anything to be overly concerned about though.

tmic, tial bov

every set up i see that is running a tial bov has a fmic. i was wonderin can it fit on my tmic? i know i will have to weld it on. thasts not a problem. but will the gigantic size of it not clear the hood? also has anyone had anyproblems running this valve?

paint the BOV

Anyone know what material is the BOV (like GFB, HKS etc) made of? I am thinking about scrach off the paint on it and repaint to another color (I have the GFB one). Also anyone ever done similar things like this as what is required to get the paint come out nice? Any special primer or paint is required?

Thanks

p.s for who ever is curious, I am trying to cleanup/dress-up the engine bay, and my bov has some scrach on it. Trying to paint it to red. I know the GFB has a red color but don' think it's worth the money to get a new one, plus the red GFB doesn't have the red I want.

thanks

gfx
    Aren't they anodized?
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gfxwrx

My car shots taken with my Canon 300D dSLR

Originally posted by gfx
    Aren't they anodized?
    thats what i thought

yes they are anodized, basically i am trying to remove that anodized oxide coating and just put on a regular paint. Wondering if that's possible. Under the coating, it's just regular metalic surface. I am just wondering what kind of metal is it made of and what kind of painting method can be applied.

Greddy type-s BOV install flange

just a quick question about my BOV. I had my greddy installed on my eclipse, and removed it before i sold the gsx. Now i want to install it on my wrx, and i was wondering where i can get the flange that will fit our cars for the cheapest price. Can anyone help me out there?