"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 26
Page 26 of 789 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126526 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the HKS bov has a funny sound to it, the whole chirp thing doesn't do it for me...I put one ...

the HKS bov has a funny sound to it, the whole chirp thing doesn't do it for me...I put one on for a guy here in LA and noticed the 'WRX STi' on the box also, it'd be better to sell the one you have, or put the stock one back on until someone figures out how to adjust it for the US 02s... /Propaganda mode/ Get the Blitz FMIC and BOV!! /end propaganda/

- ds
    I'm fast and I know it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hks Ssqv Bov

Does anyone have this valve? I know there is a mounting kit for the wrx.... does it require welding? how is the sound. I know this is supposedly one of the better BOV's around, but I can't find any clear info on it. Any help would be great. Thanks...

Javier

it requires a WRX flange to fit on the intercooler....you can buy it from some places with the flange already welded on....I know Irvine Subaru has them pre-welded....but that doesn't do you any good unless you're in So. Cal.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Question

BLARG: where did you get your mods from??? What is your actual 0-60/1/4... because i was looking to get some mods but i dont have thatm uch cash right now and that seems like a good place to start.... what kinda cars can youbeat now?
    The most important mod is the girl in the passenger seat

Silver 2002 WRX Short-Shift 5 Spd

i have two stock bov's on the bench right now, and they are both closed.

if they were open normally, boost would never build as you would be looping your air flow from the bov back to the intake before the turbo.

the bov doesn't regulate boost in these cars, it eliminates the problem that arises when the throttle plate is shut at high boost levels. this problem being all that pressureized air with no where to go, slamming back into the compressor wheel and slowing it down. or damaging it. this is a very violent thing.

the wastegate regulates boost.

i have tried what he is suggesting, just for grins. and it will work. it opens very early for my tastes, basically if you even think about lifting off the throttle. i picked up a turboxs type h secondhand for a ben. i love it. i don't see much performance from it, just the annoyance factor of the thing going CHUH! when i shift.

--r

just out of curiosity, is the disconnected stock BOV louder than your other one? Or is the tone different....now I'm thinking maybe I'll try it and sell my GFB...too bad I didn't think of it before I bought this thing. you live you learn I guess.
    go f*** yourself

the opened up stocker is loud, but not nearly as loud as my type-h. if you want to try a non-recirculating bov, this is a good place to start. get an idea if that is what you want.

the tone is also a lot different. the stock one makes a shoosh sound, the type-h makes a PAH-CHOOSH! sound. very different.

a friend has the gfb, he couldn't hear it on the 50/50 setup, but once he went 100% atmospheric, it warbles. i like his better.

--r

modifing the stock BOV to release to atmosphere

I remember a thread where someone was talking about modifing their stock BOV to be able to vent to atmosphere. I did a search to see if I could find that thread to get info on what came of the idea, but I couldn't find it. So if someone knows what came of it I would be appreciative. If I can just make the stock BOV sound louder I'll go that way then buying a aftermarket one and then get idleing problems.

thanks,
    WR Blue Perl WRX

I'm no BOV expert but I have to agree with PlatinumWRX.
    I think there is a great performance advantage in installing a good quality BOV, and if you like you can have them sound cool as well. Really helps in reducing turbo lag. All you need do is look at the amount of importance CART put on the BOVs they use.

Simon

Originally posted by solomrus
    the opened up stocker is loud, but not nearly as loud as my type-h. if you want to try a non-recirculating bov, this is a good place to start. get an idea if that is what you want.

the tone is also a lot different. the stock one makes a shoosh sound, the type-h makes a PAH-CHOOSH! sound. very different.

a friend has the gfb, he couldn't hear it on the 50/50 setup, but once he went 100% atmospheric, it warbles. i like his better.

--r
    is "warbling" a good thing? I was afraid that it was compressor surge...does it still run ok between shifts? I got mine going 50/50 right now, and I SWEAR I can feel a difference (for the better)...but I was afraid of trying 100% because of what people on here are saying (although most of them either don't have a BOV or installed it wrong).
    go f*** yourself

recircualting or 50/50 type BOVs

I used to own an MR2 turbo, and the stock Blow Off valve
    was excellent.

Aside from having a very large valve, it was a forward type
    in which the valve moved into the pressure, not away like
    most do, but the best part was a special check valve that
    kept the valve completely closed during part-throttle
    vacuum. Most valves stay open at this point. It was a very nice
    design.

But to stay on topic, the TurboXS is one of the loudest...

I personally like the Blitz valve since it has an optional
    air filter.

Matt

is "warbling" a good thing? I was afraid that it was compressor surge...does it still run ok between shifts?

I got mine going 50/50 right now, and I SWEAR I can feel a difference (for the better)...but I was afraid of trying 100% because of what people on here are saying (although most of them either don't have a BOV or installed it wrong).

well, i don't know if everyone would describe it as warbling. perhaps chirping would be better. it basically sounds more like the WRC cars.

personally, i was hoping the txs would sound like that. it does not.

if it is possible, please describe for me the performace difference that you can feel. i really don't feel anything when i drive, it is more just an aural stimulation for me, and an obnoxious sound from my car for other people.

--r

I know i might find the answer but does a Blow off valve actually give you performance or is it more or less for the health of your engine... basically what is the benefit to having one... i want to get one cause of the sond but i really wanna know what else it does... how will my car run different if i put one on
    The most important mod is the girl in the passenger seat

Silver 2002 WRX Short-Shift 5 Spd

ok...trying to answer 2 posts at once...

you already HAVE a BOV in your WRX...its bolted near the right front side of your intercooler...you're just replacing it with another one. the stock one works just fine

what I noticed when I put it on was the turbo lag after shifting was reduced...I though that especially the 1-2 shift was especially painful for me, but after I put in the GFB, I noticed a HUGE decrease in the lag especially in the 1-2 shift. I also noticed in rally-type driving if I had to come off the gas for a bit, the power was still there when I got back on it....didn't have to wait for the boost to build back up as long. So it won't add any HP or torque, but it'll help you in the shift. you know the fastest 0-60 cars go 0-60 in one gear...no shift=.3-.6 seconds faster 0-60. As I said before in other posts....the WRX is not a strip car. Sure it accelerates fast but that's not what its for. this is one of those mods that may not help you much on the drag strip...but for rally driving...and even daily driving you'll see a difference (like in traffic). I"m actually going to concentrate on some handling stuff next...anti-lift kit, tower braces, solid drop links and the like before I go back to the motor.

and as for the other mod I got (the dual-ram)...it was a DIY type deal....but you have to mold a pipe out of polypropelyne...which is hard unless you have a friend who is a plastic manufacturer....i thought about producing a kit and selling it, but in order to get the production set up and turn a profit I"d have to sell them in the $300-$400 range, and I don't think that would be worth it. The whole reason I tried to make my own intake mod was because I thought it was silly to spend $300 on 3 HP.
    go f*** yourself

oh, hey, Soobasaurus....did your friend do anything special to the GFB? I was a little scared of letting it vent 100%. is the preformance any WORSE? Any stutteting or hesitation?
    go f*** yourself