"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 255

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It is indeed the altitude. If you want the BOV to work up here, take out some of the washers. ...

It is indeed the altitude. If you want the BOV to work up here, take out some of the washers. There's no need to sell the thing.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alright thanks, i was pretty sure it may have just been the altitude but im not running any washers in it. I still kinda want to sell it because im looking into gettin an up/down pipe, intake, and unichip.
    05 silver sti

Originally posted by Never_Summer
    I still kinda want to sell it because im looking into gettin an up/down pipe, intake, and unichip.
    Good thinking
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by Never_Summer
    Alright thanks, i was pretty sure it may have just been the altitude but im not running any washers in it.
    Hmmmm...I'm running a Type-H right now without washers and it doesn't vent properly either. Does TXS make a lighter spring for it's BOVs? *heads to TXS website*
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Originally posted by Trailboss
    BOV's on stock WRXs aren't usually the best idea. You'll run pretty rich and get sh*tty gas mileage.
    no, you won't run significantly richer. in fact you won't at all under accelleration as it ONLY has to do with let-off. bad mileage? much moreso because of your lead foot than ANYTHING else.
    05 STi...not stock

can you rephrase your last sentence jsmonet of by what you mean "much moreso because of your lead foot"

Basically, I think he means that having a lead foot will yield much worse gas mileage than a BOV would . A BOV shouldn't really affect your mileage at all. The ECU isnt dumping in EXTRA fuel. It's putting in the same amount it normally would, there just isnt as much air as there would normally be, and less air with the same amount of fuel = rich condition. About the Greddy Evo2, it's my favorite exhaust. Reasonably quiet, while still being a bit louder than stock, especially when you get up in the RPMs. Nice low growl to it, not a high pitched annoying buzz like some of the massive fartcan-ish ones out there. Also, it won't drive you crazy at idle, and you won't have that annoying drone on the highway.

I have the worx bov and after all the hype and all the positive stuff I heard about it I am not impressed. Basically its not loud, and to make it loud you have to move the spring to the loosest setting. All that did was make the car idle really bad however it was louder but nothing like my friends rfl on his civic. Plus dealing with worxturning is a joke. Just my two cents I'm going to be getting rid of my soon.
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

Yes, I've had two Worx valves and I am also unimpressed. Both tended to cause compressor surge. Even the v1.2 with the "loud" ring was ridiculously quiet. I went back to the good 'ol GFB hybrid. It sounds good and the car runs fine with it.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

How does the GFB sound compared to the worx? I love the nice whoosh I get but you have to you have the radio off, and hope to god my exhaust is not screaming to even hear it.
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

I messaged turboxs about 3 days ago and they havent replied to my message . yea i like the sound of the bov but i think it will be better money worth spent doin actual performance upgrades . I think one of the vendors was sellin lighter springs for the rfl a while back, might check there to see if they still are.
    05 silver sti

I wouldn't suggest putting in a lighter spring. A test got the RFL to blow off at like 2 pounds. its not a good part, its just loud. Get a good hybrid or just get rid of the thing. If it isn't opening you might want to check the connections, because from what I've heard, a slight wind could get that thing to open.
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    I like A/C for the sole reason that it makes the idle sound meaner.

I can get mine to open at very low boosts, but it doesnt open during boost. It will open really really low, but it may vary depending where ur located. Here in sa it opens no matter wut, but in colorado it just felt like the vacuum stayed the exact same and it just didnt have enough to open cuz i was doin it with my finger.
    05 silver sti

I ordered the HKS SSQ for my Sti like 2 weeks ago from Revhighonline and I guess they are all on backorder for a while which sucks

thanks for explaining to me colonel sanders, i think i would probably get a evo2 exhaust because i dont anythhing that loud, from your description it sounds like what i want. I dont like cops harrasing me while i drive, cops around my area are d!ckheads, but they i noticed they only pick on the ugly hondas that they try to mod.