"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 25
Page 25 of 788 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125525 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by cnoff Rumble, do you have boost gauge in there too? Or is it installed like Michael's at ...

Originally posted by cnoff
    Rumble, do you have boost gauge in there too? Or is it installed like Michael's at the manifold?

You guys get your switches at Radio Shack?
    There are a number of places you can install

1. BOV
    2. Manifold
    3. Fuel Pressure regulator

Everyone seems to have a different preference.

Switches from radio shack or the like....yes

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK, thanks for all the help. I am installing all of this Wed. night and I expect the two of you to be available from 6 till 8 for the barage of questions that I will have. Hope 2 hours is enough time.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

Originally posted by cnoff
    OK, thanks for all the help. I am installing all of this Wed. night and I expect the two of you to be available from 6 till 8 for the barage of questions that I will have. Hope 2 hours is enough time.
    Cool. 2 hours....took me 4 by the time I blew some fuses and that sort of thing (drive to buy more). If you run the power off the cig lighter power (which has a 20amp fuse) get wire that can handle 20am (or be safe and get 30amp).

I will be around (at work at present with not much to do so I am here. But then again, I abandoned the install cause I stuffed up!
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

sweet, i should be installing mine this week too!!! maybe tonight, tomorrow, or wed. i'll let you all know how mine goes. i think i have it down as far as the piping goes. i just like to take my time so it takes me a lot longer. i got my grainger solenoid 2 weeks ago, and its still not in. tonight is anniversary night, so i doubt any tinkering (car tinkering that is) will be taking place. i have to put my mind to it and get it done tues. i love my mbc so much now, i don't know if i'll ever be able to turn it off . no, it will be nice when the cruise is on, or on the way to work. i won't have to watch to boost gauge so closely anymore. but man, the mbc is surely more fun.

Possibly silly DIY blow off valve question

ok....I installed a GFB valve a while ago (I set mine up to 50/50), but I was just thinking the other day....if someone wanted to just blow all the boost to the atmosphere (I haven't talked to anyone YET who installed a 100% valve properly who's had problems with it). If I just got a "plug" like the one that comes with the GFB kit if you're going to set it up to vent 100% atm (probably all 100% atm. valves have one), and then disconnected the stock BOV form the return hose, and just plugged it, wouldn't I get the same effect?

Now of course this is assuming that you're doing this just for the bling bling effect and you don't believe (or care) if you get any performance gains out of it...but am I missing something here? Did I just uncover something so completely ovbvious that's going to make people who spent $200-$300 on a 100% atm. valve smack their foreheads and go "D'oh!"

Personally, I've proven to myself that there IS a performance gain at least in MY particular case with MY particular driving style and your milage may varry...but I know I lot of people are just getting the valve for the sound, and they might find that just disconnecting the stock valve will give them the same sound minus $200.

*shrugs*
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

My buddy in his MR2 did this to his car. He said that his BOV sounded like a Bus/Semi using their air brakes. The only problem I see, same with other aftermarket BOVs, is that you'll run rich after you blow all that air into the atmosphere.
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Possibly silly DIY blow off valve question

Originally posted by blarg
    Personally, I've proven to myself that there IS a performance gain at least in MY particular case with MY particular driving style and your milage may varry...but I know I lot of people are just getting the valve for the sound, and they might find that just disconnecting the stock valve will give them the same sound minus $200.
    let me guess, with YOUR physics in YOUR world

Anyway, when you disconnect the stock bov return, you'll have a vacume leak out of boost (liek idle) because the stock BOV is naturally open, unlike the other BOV's. I was going to try it a long time ago before I head that. It sounds really loud though.

if you remove your resonator, you can hear it clearly (although I could feel a big loss in tq, so I put it back in).

It's a sad day when there are no free mods left
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

Yeah, i tried that resonator removal thing....and didn't like it...I DID however replace the resonator with a 3" pipe and ran it to the vent in the fender....can't swear to HUGE power gains....but I know I didn't LOSE any power.

Didn't know the stock valve was normally open....that kinda changes things...well it was worth a shot anyway....back to saving up for my "Ultimate Upgrade" (trade in the WRX for a Carrera 4s)
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Blitz Super Sound BOV

I was looking into this bov to go with my Blitz FMIC when it comes in but on http://www.german-autowerks.com, it says it is only capably of 1.2 bar(18psi). Thats not good since I will be running more than that with the PE turbo. Does anybody have this bov and does it hold up ok at higher boost levels? Thanks.
    '03 STi killer

God
    You know we weld the flange on the IC piping for no charge. Shameless plug I know but most people don't weld alluminum which you have to do to get that BOV onto that IC kit. BTW, I use 19 PSI and the BOV has no problems. It can support over 22 PSI.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

the adjustment is not for volume, but for spring tension...it will allow the valve to open slightly easier if you unscrew it. it comes supposedly "preset for the wrx", but the japanese instructions show an sti intercooler...when i looked on the box, sure enough..."wrx sti". so it is not really set up for our car out of the box. i found that i got terrible compressor flutter with this piece, at low rpm throttle lifts. first i ditched the filter, and that cut the flutter in half...then i unscrewed the bolt as far out as it would go without falling out...that got rid of quite a bit also. but i still had enough flutter that it bothered me so i took the mf off and now i run the stock valve. my car loves me for it.
    Lot's o' mods...

loudest BOV?

what are the loudest BOV's out on the market?

the HKS one has a funny chirp thing to it...

Blitz is pretty up there...
    I'm fast and I know it.

Too easy:

The TurboXS type H RFL (which stands for Really F-ing Loud).

However, I only recommend recircualting or 50/50 type BOVs for the WRX.

I have the APS Cobb tuning unit, which is adjustable. It's not loud, but it sounds AWESOME!

-Jim

Warning: MotorMatrix owes ClubWRX.net Advertisement Fees and refuses to pay. Do not buy ANYTHING from MotorMatrix or SubaruPower.com!
    Turbo Xs type RFL is the loudest. It works perfectly fine for me. No idle problems or air/ fuel issues so far.