"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 249
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've had 2 Worx valves and 2 GFB hybrids. The GFB hybrid is better than the Worx IMHO. I was ...

I've had 2 Worx valves and 2 GFB hybrids. The GFB hybrid is better than the Worx IMHO. I was unhappy with the original Worx I bought so I sold it. It was VERY quiet and seemed to blow-off too easily for my tastes (even under hardly any throttle at all). Since I had installed my original GFB on my girlfriends WRX I bought another one. Then Worx came out with v1.2 so I bought a Worx with the "loud ring" to give it another shot. Again, I was dissatisfied with the way it functioned and it was still much quieter than the GFB, regardless of the loud ring. I sold it and I haven't looked back since. The car runs great with the GFB, and it makes a nice sound, but not ridiculously loud...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Question BOV & Turbo Timers

new to the rex world, i really want a BOV that is safe for my stock car, but can also be used while making upgrades.... (I also like to hear it a little too )
    One more question too.... what about a turbo timer, im getting tired of sitting in my car for a couple of minutes waiting for the car to cool down a little.
    Thanx for your help!

Brad
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

You're going to get alot of "use the search" button responses...

But I would stay away from the bov route...it makes the car run/idle like crap atmospheric and if you run recirculating then you don't get much sound....honestly its a waste of about $200 imo.

Turbo timers...are cheap and easy to wire in...so thats your call but not necessary as our turbos have sufficient cooling.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

turbo timer - Not needed with the stock turbo... as long as you dont redline it and race then shut off the car seconds later, you will be fine.

bov - hard to say... some say dont waste your money, other say to just buy a bov for sound. I think you should spend money on basic exhaust mods first... before i got a bov i did a full 3" exhaust and a couple other mods. I recomend getting a downpipe and uppipe as opposed to a bov first..

once you decide on a bov, the best 2 companies seem to be forge and worx. worx is a bit better quality and you can do more with it, but its also more money. forge is a nice bov, with a nice sound and neither bov will hurt your cars performance (many other do). i have the forge 100% atmospheric and love it!
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Coolant went into the BOV hose!

I was upgrading my BOV and i accidentally pulled the coolant hose since it was blocking the way. Suddenly coolant started coming out some of the coolant went into the BIG hose that connects to the back end of the BOV.

Right now my when my turbo spools it is VERY LOUD. Any idea how I should fix this? I don't want to drive the car the way it is right now. I'm going to try to get the coolant out of whereever it is but I don't even know where the big hose goes to.

Plz help, thanks!
    2003 White WRX

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I cancelled and order for an HKS BOV and just ordered a Worx Dual Stage BOV off of worktuning.com, I'll let you guys know when I get it and how it works and sounds.

I hope I get a response....
    Last edited by Neria; 07-25-2004 at 01:01 PM.
    4 Tickets in 5 months of owning it....and counting!

I believe the big hose gets plumbed back into the intake, hope this helps, good luck.
    Evan
    MY12 WRX Limited hatch - stock, still in break-in
    MY10 Forester Limited
    SOLD - MY03 WRX - PSM; AP Stage 2+up-pipe

Originally posted by GIDDYupREX
    I believe the big hose gets plumbed back into the intake, hope this helps, good luck.
    Correct - it gets plumbed back into the turbo inlet hose. Good luck getting the coolant out of there (that hose is a major PITA to remove). How much coolant went in there? If it was just a little bit I would personally just drive the car until it burnt off. I'm not giving advice or anything here, but that's what I would do.

neither are needed at this point. spend your money elsewhere.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

thanx for all of your help!!
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

I have the Blitz FATT on my 04 rex and it works beautifully...i got it for my car because I dont like sittin in my car and lettin it cool down but the main reason i got it is becasue my dad will be drivin my car while im at school and im sure hell beat the piss outta it and then not let the car cool down properly... its not necessary on a stock car but its nice 2 have.

I dont have a BOV because it messes up ur MAF readings on a stock car...id hold off on it untill u upgraded ur turbo and spend the money on exhaust or suspension

well ive been doing a lot of research on here today, and ive come up with 2 conclusions...... i dont "need" a BOV, but when i get one itll be the WORX v1.2, and second the turbo has its own cooling system and I dont run it hard with my stock setup so i think ill hold off on the turbo timer for now, but I could use some advice on the exhaust systems.... (i heard perrin is the best for subaru....)
    thanx
    PICTURES

Originally posted by AIRBORNEGUYWRX
    but I could use some advice on the exhaust systems.... (i heard perrin is the best for subaru....)
    thanx
    where did you hear that? cuz after 2 years of reviewing Clubwrx and Nasioc.com, that's the first time I've heard it.

there's a zillion exhaust choices from shiny good looking to homemade hammered out pipes from exhuast shops. No one can really say one is better than the other. We're talking metal pipes. It's about diamter, smoothness of welds, whatever muffler is on it, and whether theres a cat, hi-flo, or none.

generally, the popular choices are turboXS and scoobysport. There's a bunch others. if you want to save money, find a nice used set-up. It's just metal pipes under the car.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Originally posted by AIRBORNEGUYWRX
    (i heard perrin is the best for subaru....)
    thanx
    perrin makes quality products, but please share why this is so.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

im worried the the coolant might screw with the turbo

any more recommendations on what to do? im going to try doing this myself later today but id love any more input from anyone with some advice
    2003 White WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.