"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 240

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; or when you pull in to a gas station and the gas attendent says aaa budy your engine sounds like ...

or when you pull in to a gas station and the gas attendent says aaa budy your engine sounds like you lost a cylinder then i tell him thats the way all subaru's sound like . unequel length headers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Jack
    What are your thought on the turboxs bov..i know its 100% atmo but other then that its a good quailty piece..?
    The HKS SSQV, TurboXS RFL, Forge, Worx, and GFB Hybrid are the BOVS that i've tested:

In short, the HKS and Turbo XS did not perform up to par...I found that after a while, i suppose as the ECU began to recognize them, the car idled very poorly, stuttering, shaking, and occasionally stalling (this happened with both)......The forge did not have these problems and it is also 100% atmo. The reason i discovered is the design: very short, flat piston with a short traveling distance. It would open and close quickly and completely at any boost level. The turboxs, if you look at it, has a long cylinder that the piston travels...therefor if not shimmed/springed/calibrated correctly, its simply going perform poorly....my opinion, leave them alone...they are not for the WRX.

I swear, if anyone wants a blow off valve, just clikc on that banner for boostkits at the top of the screen.....the Worx dual stage is simply amazing...loud if you want, quiet if u want...drivability...100% no matter what the setting....take it from me, i bought them all and kept only one.
    '88 Jeep Wrangler , left my rear end in a
    rock quarry

'92 Talon TSI AWD, 402 whp

'02 WRX, begging for mods

FIXED IT!! Wow that was easy, I was all hyped up over nothing.. I was right in the first place and so was the HKS tech support guy, the allan bolts that were missing on the BOV were the cause of the leak, forced air was being pushed out of that little hole that was missing the allan bolt, and that was making the whining noise.. I went to ace hardware and spent about 60 cents on 2 bolts, screwed em in, slapped that sucker on and BINGO, everything works good! The bov is just fine, all that was missin was the allan bolt. I baught some extra just incase, but I don't think I'll have another prob w/ it in the future (and if i do its really nothing major).. Thanks for the advice and help guys! The HKS BOV is pingy, but the long stem of relief sounds really good, plus i'm going to do the recirculating conv. on it with the yellow element that u can add to it.. I really don't want 100% venting. Nonetheless, it works and sounds great now..
    02 PSM WRX
    14.362@97.08 mph stock

I appreciate the feedback, thanks

Sour

Get a BOV when you win the lottery.
    www.awdpirates.net

Re: Lawnmower man said, "Your belt is slipping!". (BOV lol!)

Originally posted by tr3
    I was driving home yesterday when I came to a red light. An old guy in his beat up pickup truck with a bunch of lawn care stuff stuck his head out the window and said, "Hey! Your belt is slipping! Might wanna get that checked out!." It's actually the RFL BOV that was making all the "belt slippage" noises as he was driving next to me earlier, lol . I said, "Hmm...that's funny. I swear I only have 48K miles on this car! Thanks for telling man!"
    lol, the other day i was driving with my dad in his pickup and we were next to a civic hatch and his BOV would shoot off and my dad goes "whats wrong with that car, must be leaking something"...

so i tell him its a BOV and that it means the car is turbo'd. he just laughs and says "that ugly sh!t box has a turbo?" and i just smile and say "welcome to the world of sleepers"

Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

BOV question #238574389

Ok Ok I know all about the BOV debate. Here's the thing. I have an HKS right now and love the pull-type mechinism. However, I want a recirculating and want the Greddy Type-s. I'm wondering if the Greddy is a push or pull type valve. Does anyone know. It sure sounds like a pull type...
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

where should i order the worx bov from?
    cant seem to find a place that reponds.

EDIT: www.boostkits.com sells them, they shipped me a heatshield and it came in like 3 days. good people.
    Last edited by statik; 07-06-2004 at 11:49 PM.

Here's where i ordered mine from. The one I ordered is painted crinkle red to match the engine of the STi. Cant wait to get it.

http://www.boostkits.com/worx_tuning...stage_bov.html

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/625405

Originally posted by statik
    where should i order the worx bov from?
    cant seem to find a place that reponds
    http://www.worxtuning.com/
    04 STI
    FPGreen

So basically what your sayin is i'm a total dumbass for buyin from this guy. I called and e-mailed him (no response yet). I hate goin through this crap.

I just order my WORX BOV from him on Monday. He told me the Gunmetal color is out of stock and will be getting some next week. I was able to talk to him mulitple times thru PM on WRXFanatics.com

He just replied to me with the same info so i guess all is well.

Originally posted by afpdl
    Depending on the bov and your luck it could cause stumbling at idle.
    How hard is it to install. Would a noob to turbo cars be able to install the Bov. Also how do you know when you have set the bov propely

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by needsboost2005
    How hard is it to install. Would a noob to turbo cars be able to install the Bov. Also how do you know when you have set the bov propely
    Depending on the BOV it's either 2 bolts and a vacuum line, plus maybe an adapter plate, or if you get an adjustble recirculting type, then there is also the recirc line. As a noob, shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes. Easily done, just look at your BOV and you'll see.

My recommendation, go with the Worxtuning, wrinkle red finish. Looks great, no problems with idle regardless of setting, adjustable for both recirc and loudness. Not the loudest of valves on the marker for sure, but that is my own preference.

While your at it, get their grounding harness. One line and it fits in nicely. Good price and blends in well with other cabling. I've got their BOV, harness, and catback. Pleased with them all so far.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums