"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 239

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Trailboss upgrade BOV when you upgrade your turbo Negative. Upgrade the bypass valve when your new turbo ...

Originally posted by Trailboss
    upgrade BOV when you upgrade your turbo
    Negative. Upgrade the bypass valve when your new turbo is pushing 19+psi or you hear your stocker blowing open at full throttle.

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Problem w/ BOV :(

Well I just got my HKS Super Sequential BOV in the mail today, and I installed it, and after install I took it for a test drive, everything was working and sounding ok until about 5 minutes later. I hear a real loud whining/zipping sound (sounds like somethin winding up) and then a release from the bov. I took the car back, checked the hoses, adjusted the bolt in the back of the bov to standard pressure, then took it for a run again and still the same noise.. I can only assume that this is a leak from the BOV, and when I looked at the front of the bov, where ther are supposed to be about 8-10 allan bolts on the bov, 2 are missing. I baught the BOV used from Ebay but still, even if the BOV is leaking is there anyway to repair this? Can a shop do it for me because I'm not too good with repairing these kind of things my self. Is there anytrhing I can do to fix the HKS Bov, anyone I can contact, I don't care where as long as I can get the job done. Thanks
    02 PSM WRX
    14.362@97.08 mph stock

cnk
    You'd have to contact HKS directly to get replacement parts. It sounds like the diaphram may be blown. I would try to contact the guy you bought it from and get my money back. Also, the rear adjustment screw is only meant for idle adjustment and has no impact on the performance of the BOV during boost at all. The HKS BOV works differently from other BOV's.

Calvin

make sure you tightened the hose from the I/C to the intake manifold. You have to loosen it to get the BOV on. About the fifth time I did this I FORGOT to tighten the hose clamp on there and kept getting the same sound...couldn't for the life of me figure out what the problem was until I accetentally bumped the I/C and noticed that it moved like the hose was loose.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

tr3

Talking Lawnmower man said, "Your belt is slipping!". (BOV lol!)

I was driving home yesterday when I came to a red light. An old guy in his beat up pickup truck with a bunch of lawn care stuff stuck his head out the window and said, "Hey! Your belt is slipping! Might wanna get that checked out!." It's actually the RFL BOV that was making all the "belt slippage" noises as he was driving next to me earlier, lol . I said, "Hmm...that's funny. I swear I only have 48K miles on this car! Thanks for telling man!"
    I'm looking for 2 quarts of high quality headlight fluid.

Also, if you have a used muffler bearing (ball bearing type), let me know.

I'm sure its the BOV because when we switched to my friends HKS bov, everything worked perfect on my car.. I baught the whole kit for 160, maybe if hks can take my blown bov and give me a replaced bov with a payment of 100.. then I can do that.. Do u think HKS will fix the BOV or only send me parts to fix it? Argh so many stupid problems over just this little mod..
    02 PSM WRX
    14.362@97.08 mph stock

cnk
    I don't think that HKS would take your BOV and give you a new one since you bought it used in the first place. Your best bet is to either get your money back from the original seller or try to get replacement parts for it if you can figure out what's broken.

Calvin

Originally posted by cnk
    I don't think that HKS would take your BOV and give you a new one since you bought it used in the first place. Your best bet is to either get your money back from the original seller or try to get replacement parts for it if you can figure out what's broken.

Calvin
    Its me legik.. I called HKS and well i told them 2 allan bolts were missing on the front of the BOV module, and he said if any screws are missing then air is leaking, he said to get the replacement allan bolts from a hardware store and put them in tightly, then try the bov again. HKS will not help me with anything except phone assistance, and they have attitude even on the phone, but its HKS so I can't reall DO much about it. Yep I'm pretty much on my own, if im SOL with tryin to fix it, if anyone wants to buy it, I'll sell it, BOV, flange, hose, for 140... But yeH let me try to fix it and I'll get back to you guys with the status....... SO PATHETIC

the stock BOV works fine i bet
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

At least he was nice enough to try to help!!

at least you were nice enought to go along with it.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

old people are TEH cool.....
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

wow, your blow off valve must really sound like crap

Originally posted by DEzwrx03
    Its me legik.. I called HKS and well i told them 2 allan bolts were missing on the front of the BOV module, and he said if any screws are missing then air is leaking, he said to get the replacement allan bolts from a hardware store and put them in tightly, then try the bov again. HKS will not help me with anything except phone assistance, and they have attitude even on the phone, but its HKS so I can't reall DO much about it. Yep I'm pretty much on my own, if im SOL with tryin to fix it, if anyone wants to buy it, I'll sell it, BOV, flange, hose, for 140... But yeH let me try to fix it and I'll get back to you guys with the status....... SO PATHETIC

Not that you really want to hear this...but I'm going to say it in the interest of helping you, so be patient.....get your money back....don't bother to try to fix it...I've tested several aftermarket blow off valves of the wrx and as far as i'm concerned only 2 really work well and the HKS failed miserably.....as was mentioned they dont have the same design as most blow off valves and as far as i'm concerned they are about as reliable as a universal shift knob......100% atmo Bov's are just not good...however i DID have great success with teh Forge atmo........I've been trying to spread it around that AFTER TESTING the Worx tuning 1.2 dual stage bov is the best.....works the best, sounds great, and is versatile.....i really hope u consider returning it and purchasing this one instead......also try doing a search on the problems associate with 100% atmo BOV's......hope this helps.

Peter
    '88 Jeep Wrangler , left my rear end in a
    rock quarry

'92 Talon TSI AWD, 402 whp

'02 WRX, begging for mods

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    Originally posted by TCICAWD4Life
    Not that you really want to hear this...but I'm going to say it in the interest of helping you, so be patient.....get your money back....don't bother to try to fix it...I've tested several aftermarket blow off valves of the wrx and as far as i'm concerned only 2 really work well and the HKS failed miserably.....as was mentioned they dont have the same design as most blow off valves and as far as i'm concerned they are about as reliable as a universal shift knob......100% atmo Bov's are just not good...however i DID have great success with teh Forge atmo........I've been trying to spread it around that AFTER TESTING the Worx tuning 1.2 dual stage bov is the best.....works the best, sounds great, and is versatile.....i really hope u consider returning it and purchasing this one instead......also try doing a search on the problems associate with 100% atmo BOV's......hope this helps.

Peter
    What are your thought on the turboxs bov..i know its 100% atmo but other then that its a good quailty piece..?

And to get back on topic, contact that guy and return it ASAP! tell him u didnt get all the parts. Even if he says he has the parts and he forgot to ship them, say NO THANKS I WANT MY MONEY BACK!
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club