"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 233

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yeah I am looking at a smoking deal on the perrin short ram, and am just wondering if anyone has ...

yeah I am looking at a smoking deal on the perrin short ram, and am just wondering if anyone has one to see if it is as bad as the others, I am pretty sure that most people say the perrin and txs are the only ones that don't mess it up, BUT if I am going to get an accessport fairly soon is an intake just a downright bad idea?
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by ero2
    yeah I am looking at a smoking deal on the perrin short ram, and am just wondering if anyone has one to see if it is as bad as the others, I am pretty sure that most people say the perrin and txs are the only ones that don't mess it up, BUT if I am going to get an accessport fairly soon is an intake just a downright bad idea?
    The Blitz SUS also keeps the same diameter housing and doesn't throw a cel. When I ordered my accessport I asked Noah if I had to remove it and he told me that the computer will learn it, and compensate so there would be no need to remove it.

short-ram = warmer charge???

accessport can compensate - yes, but in at least on instance i've read about it compensates by pulling timing.

just seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to make cool noises.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by blarg
    short-ram = warmer charge???

accessport can compensate - yes, but in at least on instance i've read about it compensates by pulling timing.

just seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to make cool noises.
    On a normally aspirated motor yes, on a turbo motor with an intercooler, no. The charge still has to go through piping, then get superheated by the turbo, then through more piping, then an intercooler to get cooled, then the motor. The few degrees difference doesn't affect anything.

true, as pulling timing will absolutely ruin my gas mileage which so far on my car has been nothing but going up, my first tank was 16mpg, second tank was 20mpg, can't wait to see the 3rd. Going from a silverado I can't say I am anything less than ecstatic. Conversation closed, no intake for me And thanks for all the suggestions, that's why this place is the best, you guys don't let people waste money on pointless parts

On an off topic note, have any of you guys heard that chevron gas gets better gas mileage because of ethanol vs. mtbe or something to that effect, just curious, thanks!
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    true, as pulling timing will absolutely ruin my gas mileage which so far on my car has been nothing but going up, my first tank was 16mpg, second tank was 20mpg, can't wait to see the 3rd. Going from a silverado I can't say I am anything less than ecstatic. Conversation closed, no intake for me And thanks for all the suggestions, that's why this place is the best, you guys don't let people waste money on pointless parts

On an off topic note, have any of you guys heard that chevron gas gets better gas mileage because of ethanol vs. mtbe or something to that effect, just curious, thanks!
    I'm gettin 26.5 with my uppipe, downpipe, gutted midpipe, and SUS I'm not sure where the pulling timing thing came from, thats a new one.

do you have an accessport too?
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

I haven't read any of the post but I'm sure no one's tried this yet. Absolutely free and easy to do mod.

Just take out one of the plugs in the firewall behind the brake pedal. You will hear the turbo whistle, especially in 5th gear.

Originally posted by TurnWRX

Just take out one of the plugs in the firewall behind the brake pedal. You will hear the turbo whistle, especially in 5th gear.
    I kinda like to keep water OUTSIDE the car. But thats just me.
    Alex

I Support ClubWRX
    do you have an accessport too?
    It arrives on tues. Your engine would have to be running really lean to get it to pull timing. The above mentioned intakes will not do that.

Originally posted by afpdl
    I kinda like to keep water OUTSIDE the car. But thats just me.
    It's not that bad, seriously When I had my amp installed, the guy at the shop forgot to plug it up and I was wondering why I was getting a drilling noise in the cabin

Besides, if it's raining, just put a piece of dynamat to plug it up If it's not, take it off and hear the whistle better.

if you really want to hear the turbo and do something nice for you motor, and you were planning to spend $200+ on a BOV why not get a Stromung bellmouth downpipe? Its like $189, you can install it yourself, it doesn't eliminate the main cat, makes the turbo louder, AND gives you about 15 more HP and Torque...more with an accessport. Just make sure you get the bellmouth pipe...they also make a twin-dump and one where the WG is blocked like the OEM pipe. If you're planning on getting an accessport ever bellmouth DP's work the best.
    go f*** yourself

Im pretty sure all stromung currently makes is the divorced wastegate set up.
    Alex

that's what i thought too, but I saw one on ebay that looked like the WG was closed off (maybe picture of wrong pipe), and a performance shop I frequent claims to have "both types" (divorced WG and bellmouth) for the same price. I haven't bought it yet, as I have some other financial obligations at the moment.
    go f*** yourself

Pretty sure thats just back stock they havent sold yet. Everything I have heard about their old bellmouth dps was not good, the welds were poor and the material wasnt very high grade. On the new divorced wastegate ones Ive heard alot better things.
    Alex