"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 232

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the butt dyno reports no adverse effects? what other mods do you have though? would a catted downpipe yield more ...

the butt dyno reports no adverse effects? what other mods do you have though? would a catted downpipe yield more HP than a catback and give me a little more sound? Maybe I should start there instead?
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Verdugo
    Perrin and TurboXS say their short rams are also designed to work properly with the MAF sensor.
    Hey I didnt say it was the only one Just stating that ALL intakes will not mess up your maf, though last year that was true.
    Alex

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by ero2
    the butt dyno reports no adverse effects? what other mods do you have though? would a catted downpipe yield more HP than a catback and give me a little more sound? Maybe I should start there instead?
    I did everthing one piece at a time. I wen't with the uppipe first, then the downpipe, then the gutted mid-pipe, then the Blitz SUS. I so far haven't had any adverse affects from any of the modding other than the occasional cel, and alot more power The cel annoyance will be fixed when my accessport comes in next week As for turbo noise? LOTS OF IT, and man do I love hearing it!!!

Originally posted by SERacing
    I can agree...I have the Turbo XS shorty intake...I went from completely stock (obviously) to the hack/silencer removal/K&N drop in panel filter and then to the Turbo XS intake and my car feels 10x smoother then with the other setups (well besides stock)

I also agree...I felt some better spool up, if I had to buy it again I would.
    I really like the perrin short ram, anyone have any experience with that as it is slightly cheaper and I like that I can get the color to match my ride.
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by afpdl
    Hey I didnt say it was the only one Just stating that ALL intakes will not mess up your maf, though last year that was true.
    I know!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by ero2
    I really like the perrin short ram, anyone have any experience with that as it is slightly cheaper and I like that I can get the color to match my ride.
    I can't say from personal experience, but I know that the World One STi uses it and it works just fine with their high horsepower set up on the track...you'll be able to see the results from it in Sport Compact Car in the upcoming months.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I can get a slightly used one on nasioc for 115, thinking if I can get him down to 100 I might get it
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

did tons of research.

read all the threads on all the forums. yes. no. run rich. run lean. blah blah blah.

decided to test on my own.

grabbed a used APS CAI for pennies.

absolutely love it. NO CELS, not running lean/rich.

looks great. performs great.

no reason to change unless the AP doesnt like it when it comes in.

but COBB speaks highly of this intake so I'm thinking if the only difference between stock and APS CAI is bling, then ill keep bling.

thats all.

and being able to hear that badass engine! I am torn, I don't want to throw away money, as I just bought the car and don't have a lot but would love to be able to hear the engine more and the stock bypass valve with no adverse or ill effects. I have the 4eat and am getting 20mpg which I am VERY happy about and don't want to blow my gas mileage just hear the engine and get no more power, ya know.
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

no no sorry i am going stage 4 i got everything else for stage 4 to! Turbo is going to be vf34, i just want to get a bov so when i install everything i can put the bov in at the same time!
    Stage 4 plus 2004 WRX

even with a vf34 you might be better served with an upgraded TMIC. the VF34 is what they use in the JDM 2.0L STi's...I thought that people put them in for quicker spooling while getting more flow at the same time...a FMIC kind of defeats that purpose...I don't have either yet, but I'm planning to get them when Cobb makes a stage 3, so I've been researching. I was under the impression that a FMIC is really only good for drag racing, and you usually want a vf22 with it.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

ok but at some point i am going to go bigger turbo and dont want to buy another ic. also i am gettin this all custom dyno tuned and that (from what i have read) takes away some of the lag from the fmic which also i hear hardly causes any more lag.
    Stage 4 plus 2004 WRX

BOV's with this intercooler are a little odd. Due to the design of the intercooler, most BOV's have a tendency to cause surge, and if they are adjusted to take care of the surgen then they leak under boost. Might be ab indea to check NASIOC for some who have the FMIC, and check to see what BOV they use.. Might be an idea to try the stock BPV with it, to see what happens... Might get you by meanwhile until you find something more permanent
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

okay, here is my point, BOV costs 170 and does nothing for the engine just can hear that badass blow off, but I can get a perrin short ram for 100 and hear the same parts of the badass engine and not hurt anything and maybe gain 1 hp right? So wouldn't it make more sense to get the short ram, or no? Does anyone have the perrin short ram and can comment?
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

Honestly just do the intake silencer removal...I heard alot of sucking noises and you hear a slight woosh when you let off the gas...it costs absolutely nothing. So if you're on a tight budget and want to make some noise why not just start there? If its not enough then get an intake...plus you can just buy used parts, bov's pop up all the time in the For Sale section.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market