"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 230

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm not that knowledgeable about bovs, but I believe the stock one is a by pass valve, not a bov. ...

I'm not that knowledgeable about bovs, but I believe the stock one is a by pass valve, not a bov.

atmosphere means you're venting the air to the atmosphere (or outside) instead of recirculating it.

recirculating means the air goes back to the turbo when you let off the gas.

aftermarket bov's make noise because the air is being vented to the atmosphere. It's kinda like like whistling.

the most used bov's for the wrx are the Hks SSQV Bov, Forge Bov, GFB Bov, TurboXS RFL Bov, and Worx Bov.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the most used bov's for the wrx are the Hks SSQV Bov, Forge Bov, GFB Bov, TurboXS RFL Bov, and Worx Bov.
    I come from the honda world... things have a reason.... my question now would be... is there a reason why one would want one over the other? from what i hear TurboXS RFL Bov is the loadest, and i've seen a couple of people with Hks and the Forge... but why would one choose one BOV over the other? is one better for speficic applications then others? and, what are the advantages of a 50/50 setup, other then a 100% atmo setup? are all BOVs adjustable? ...???
    1997 Acura Integra GSR AEM Shortram 98+ Front/Rear Conversion w/ Painted Sideskirts and Type-R Front Lip KYB GR-2 w/ Skunk2 Adj. Springs and Skunk2 Camber Kit ; 16'' ADR Concept Pro and VIS CIF Hood
    Selling to buy a WRX

i can hear my stock BOV just fine

if you want some sound search the forums for removing the intake silencer. w/ that gone the turbo spools up nice and the BOV is audible. The stock BOV (on a stock application) is probably going to be the best for the car. It can handle a decent amount of boost...probably 18-20 psi. it's the same BOV that's used on DSM's

Originally posted by Pedrinho85
    I come from the honda world... things have a reason.... my question now would be... is there a reason why one would want one over the other? from what i hear TurboXS RFL Bov is the loadest, and i've seen a couple of people with Hks and the Forge... but why would one choose one BOV over the other? is one better for speficic applications then others?
    The only difference (for the most part) is the sound. From what I've heard, TXS RFL sounds by far the best. I have a Forge and it's alright. Unless you're running high amounts of boost, the only reason to replace the stock part is sound. A lot of people say there is actually a performance decrease with it, but I've gone back and forth and I don't agree.

For what it's worth, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't spend the $100~ to buy one, but now that I've got it, I'd miss it if I ever sold it.

Had the RFL and it was loud and obnoxious. Sure it sounded sick the first 1000 miles or so but then was just stupid. Also the BOV sucks ass. Car idled crappy all the time and backfired like you wouldn't believe becuase the valve wouldn't shut completely all the time. And yes I had it adjusted right (3 of the 6 washers)

Sold it and went with the HKS. Not nearly as loud but much cleaner and quicker reacting. Don't waste your money on a bov just for sound. Get it for functionality too. True the stock works just fine but if you want a little extra flare don't screw up the car because of it.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

i was thinking about the turbo xs bov not the RFL one just the normal one

Maybe I can help. I come from the DSM world as some people around here know and so far I've helped a lot of people with their Blow Off Valve questions so here it goes again:

As you know the Stocker is a recirculating bypass valve routing air back into the intake. Blow off Valves are traditionally just the opposite, they vent the "unused" air to prevent surge. As I've noticed there is a lot of controversy in the Subaru world about the use of Blow Off Valves. It is for certain that the stock valve is completely efficient up to 20+psi. There are concerns that if the unused air is vented rather than reused then a temporary rich condition may occur when letting off the throttle, ie: in between shifts. All this u probably know already. As for the options available to you, you can go 100% atmo. There is a theory against, but too many people have had perfect success with BOV's from stockers to high boosters. Your only other option, and the one I highly reccomend is an adjustable vent/recirc valve. I reccomend this for two reasons. 1) They two that I know of are of better design and quality then ANY fully atmo BOV. When set at 50/50 vent/recirc there is less stress on the piston and spring leading to longer life and less maintenence (BOV's are prone to damage/wear) 2) By recirculating half the air you are effectively retaining half the function of the stock valve, there by nearly eliminating the chance of any problem. I use the worx bov which can be found here http://boostkits.com/worx_tuning_dual_stage_bov.html

There's even a sound clip for you...I doubt anyone would say that its not one of best sounding BOV's out there. Hope this helps!!!!
    '88 Jeep Wrangler , left my rear end in a
    rock quarry

'92 Talon TSI AWD, 402 whp

'02 WRX, begging for mods

what type is this bov from turbo xs. if I read correctly after I got it it is nearly usless for a wrx. any info would be great as I will just resell it. I got a hks this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Originally posted by hybrid gti 2
    what type is this bov from turbo xs. if I read correctly after I got it it is nearly usless for a wrx. any info would be great as I will just resell it. I got a hks this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    There are lots of things I would buy off of Ebay, but a Blow Off Valve is not one of them, especially not a universal one like that. By HKS I assume you mean the SSQV? All I can say is good luck. That product is design for high boost applications (20+psi). Does it work on a stock WRX, yes. Will it work well aka not cause problems aka not fail over time.....who knows. Sorry but I don't trust the product.
    '88 Jeep Wrangler , left my rear end in a
    rock quarry

'92 Talon TSI AWD, 402 whp

'02 WRX, begging for mods

ok I thought it was the low end of turbo xs. was I wrong about that?

What is a type7 sti bov? I am looking to buy one and not spend too much right now. Their asking 60 for it with hardware. Give me advice.

Originally posted by Pedrinho85
    I come from the honda world... things have a reason.... my question now would be... is there a reason why one would want one over the other? from what i hear TurboXS RFL Bov is the loadest, and i've seen a couple of people with Hks and the Forge... but why would one choose one BOV over the other? is one better for speficic applications then others? and, what are the advantages of a 50/50 setup, other then a 100% atmo setup? are all BOVs adjustable? ...???

Well ask yourself this question:

Why do people choose one exhaust over another?

For the sound it makes.

Same can be said for bov's.

partly true but not completly about the exost. but most are after a sound with a bov. honestly, I am.

well yes, there are other factors to consider with an exhaust, but the principle is still the same somewhat.

is the WORX hard to tune? or is it pretty easy? does the product come with all the instructions on how to adjust and and etc?
    1997 Acura Integra GSR AEM Shortram 98+ Front/Rear Conversion w/ Painted Sideskirts and Type-R Front Lip KYB GR-2 w/ Skunk2 Adj. Springs and Skunk2 Camber Kit ; 16'' ADR Concept Pro and VIS CIF Hood
    Selling to buy a WRX