"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 23
Page 23 of 788 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123523 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I received my new spacer today for my BOV and took some pics to show you all the difference in ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I received my new spacer today for my BOV and took some pics to show you all the difference in size. The standard one(the one that came with my BOV) is the one on the right and the new one is the one on the left. As you can all see the new one is HUGE.
    Here's some pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spacer1.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    And for all of you that don't know what the GFB BOV looks like inside, I tore it apart and took an EXPLODED VIEW picture. I will tell you all how this works with the new spacer as soon as I get some time. I will be putting on my new SAMCO intercooler hoses at the same time. Hope you guys like the pics.

And I hope it helps the NEWBIES out there picture the concept of how a BOV actually does what it does.
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails exploded1.jpg  

You da man! I'm about to put a web site together for the WRX owners in Fresno. That would be great if I can post links to your pictures or put them on my site with your permission with of course your name with it.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem ticrab, you can use all the pictures I post. As long as you do give me credit with my user name.
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Tell me the link and I can also help you with more stuff if you want.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Thanks. It will be fresnowrx.com and fresnowrx.net. Not up and running yet. I'll keep you guys posted.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

WRXRumble - little help please?

G'day,

Hey youve got the boostvalve MBC like me as such have a couple of question for you.

The instructions say:

1. to plug off the compressor nipple with the small cap
    2. plug short end of MBC to wastgate
    3. remove the pipe that goes under the black top on the intake side and cap off with the large cap
    4. As a result of 1. does that mean you need to either plug the hose that used to connect to compressor or remove the stock restrictor section and plug off before boost control solenoid?

My install was like yours. Working from stock I removed the large hose under the black top and plugged off (also plugged the end of the hose) then removed hose from wastgate and connected MBC to wastegate.

My questions really are:

1. What was that hose we removed under the black top? It appears to run to the intake? Would having that connected do anything?

Also, I reached (for a short sec in trying to install dawes switch) 20psi. I thought the fuel cut would have kicked in or is that disconnected now?

Cheers
    Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

If you are using the dwaes solenoid combine with the FBC and the EBC then all the factory HOSES will be connected. You basically do not touch the FBC except unplugging it from the WASTEGATE and connect it to the NORMALLY OPEN side of the DWAES solenoid.

The MBC hose connects to the NORMALLY CLOSE side of the DWAES solenoid.

The ouput side ( middle port ) of the DWAES goes to the WASTEGATE.

If you disconnects any of the hoses of the FBC then you have a open loop and the EBC is not controlling the boost That might be the reason you get 20 psi or higher when running stock mode.

Put the FBC hoses back on and make sure you didn't miss any hoses and make sure you feel vacum on the FBC to wastegate hose.

Have someone starts the car while you put you finger over the hose to feel vacum sucking at your finger, don't do it for 2 long.

Then drive around easy to make sure you see no more then 7 psi on 1st and 2nd while doing 1/2 throttle run. Don't do WOT until you feel everything is working. Remember the stock ECU will only give you under 10 psi or less on 1st and 2nd, that is normal.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Originally posted by WRXrumble
    If you are using the dwaes solenoid combine with the FBC and the EBC then all the factory HOSES will be connected. You basically do not touch the FBC except unplugging it from the WASTEGATE and connect it to the NORMALLY OPEN side of the DWAES solenoid.

The MBC hose connects to the NORMALLY CLOSE side of the DWAES solenoid.

The ouput side ( middle port ) of the DWAES goes to the WASTEGATE.

If you disconnects any of the hoses of the FBC then you have a open loop and the EBC is not controlling the boost That might be the reason you get 20 psi or higher when running stock mode.

Put the FBC hoses back on and make sure you didn't miss any hoses and make sure you feel vacum on the FBC to wastegate hose.

Have someone starts the car while you put you finger over the hose to feel vacum sucking at your finger, don't do it for 2 long.

Then drive around easy to make sure you see no more then 7 psi on 1st and 2nd while doing 1/2 throttle run. Don't do WOT until you feel everything is working. Remember the stock ECU will only give you under 10 psi or less on 1st and 2nd, that is normal.
    Right...But what was that pipe that the boostvalve instructions said to remove under the plastic top on the side of the air filter and wanted us to plug off? It appears to run from there to the intake???
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

That is one of the factory solenoid lines. The factory FBC uses a complex restrictors and bleeding system with many connectors and hoses.

Boostvalve instruction basically ask you to

1. disconnect the FBC to wastegate hose and plug it.
    2. disconnect the turbo output side to factory solenoid and plug it ( this is the one under the plastic cover near the passenger fender).

Originally posted by michaelwrx

Right...But what was that pipe that the boostvalve instructions said to remove under the plastic top on the side of the air filter and wanted us to plug off? It appears to run from there to the intake???
    Btw that is where the FBC gets the boost pressure from. Also this is why we can use my solenoid setup. Since our system uses 2 different boost signal sources there is no ill effect when switching boost control. Some people try to set up the same system using the Joe P or other MBC setup which uses the INTAKE source ran into some problem and solved it with a dual solenoid setup which is very complex to fix if something goes wrong.

We are getting the boost signal source from :

FBC gets it from the intake manifold special outlet.

MBC gets it from the BOV outlet using a T, also this is where the boost gauge gets it signal from so the gauge and the MBC is seeing the same boost level which is good

WRXrumble, why does your wiring diagram look different than the one on the Dawes Website ? I think your setup may make more sense, but what are the differences and which is better?

On the Dawes site, it looks like Hi port should go to MBC; In port comes from turbo nipple ; and Low port wires around to "t" connector between wastegate and MBC.

I'm so confused now. I am installing my setup this week and I don't want to screw anything up.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

Originally posted by cnoff
    WRXrumble, why does your wiring diagram look different than the one on the Dawes Website ? I think your setup may make more sense, but what are the differences and which is better?

On the Dawes site, it looks like Hi port should go to MBC; In port comes from turbo nipple ; and Low port wires around to "t" connector between wastegate and MBC.

I'm so confused now. I am installing my setup this week and I don't want to screw anything up.
    Their setup does not include the factory boost control circuit. Mine does and it works

Let the factory hoses and connectors as is ( except you can do the 3/16 connect mod ) and connect the system as described in my diagram and have fun.

with the 3/16 connect mod my boost lvl is

no MBC = 14.2
    MBC = 16

Originally posted by WRXrumble

Their setup does not include the factory boost control circuit. Mine does and it works

Let the factory hoses and connectors as is ( except you can do the 3/16 connect mod ) and connect the system as described in my diagram and have fun.

with the 3/16 connect mod my boost lvl is

no MBC = 14.2
    MBC = 16

So it looks like it would have worked if I had of connected back up the FBC line to the solenoid under the black top. Ah well I have done that now (to attain Fuel Cut) but ripped out everything else and gone back to pure MBC. I have turned it down to 14psi to reduce EGT slightly.

Main reason I want MBC is to build boost fast and acheive more than 9psi in 1st. Might revisit this at a later stage.

Thanks for your help anyway
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

OK, another question(s). I was planning on installing my Blitz DTT boost sensor at the BOV. Will that cause any problems with your setup? Is there enough room for boost sensor and Dawes Hi Port connection? Did you use a 1/4"-1/4"-1/8" t connector for Hi Port?
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

And this question is going to be really stupid. Where the hell is the factory solenoid located and what does it look like?
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex