"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 227
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; nice to know, in that case ill stay away from the VF39. the VF36 is a VF30 + 4 + ...

nice to know, in that case ill stay away from the VF39. the VF36 is a VF30 + 4 + 2 lol. VF30 = turbo, VF34 = VF30 + ball bearing, VF36 = VF30 + ball bearing + twin scroll.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    If the VF36 is twin scroll, then you'll also need a modified exhaust manifold in order for it to work correctly.

Calvin

just the up pipe? or entire exhaust manfold + up pipe and even downpipe?

cnk
    Most twin scroll setups that I've seen require the entire exhaust manifold including uppipe. The downpipe should be the same, but I haven't researched it too much as I felt there were cheaper alternatives to get the power I wanted.

Calvin

cnk
    Also keep in mind that not many people have maps for a twin scroll setup so you'll have to get custom tuned.

Calvin

B-Spec BOV...100% atmospheric...
    HEEL TOE AUTO

Chirps like an HKS, but even louder
    Myspace

2007 WRX TR - "stock for now"

Turbo spool and bov volume

Ok...I posted this in another thread, but I guess I'll ask it here too. (and yes I did a search and didn't find much).

On a bone stock car, did any of you hear your turbo spooling at all? I tried to get on it last night to see if I could hear anything in terms of turbo spool and bov release, but nothing. I even sat at a light and revved up to about 4.5k and nothing. Is it really that quiet? If so, Subaru did a damn good job with that silencer!!!

(side note: I used to hear the stock bov on my eclipse no problem when revving in neutral. It took about 5k rpm, but you could hear a distinct whooosh when you got off the throttle.)

Thanks for any replies. Sorry to be such a noob!

-Jerry

cnk
    You won't hear much with the stock car. Remove the silencer and you'll be able to hear a little more noise. The other thing you can do is get a downpipe and then you'll really hear the turbo.

Calvin

Yeah...with the windows up and radio off, drive on a flat road...3rd gear at about 3K rpm...press the gas a little and you'll hear the ssssSSSS of the tubo spool. That's really the only way I hear it.
    Last edited by Ketchup; 05-27-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Registered User ProblemChildWRX's Avatar
    It's hard to tell at first, but once you hear it you'll be able to know when the turbo is spooling. I haven't taken out the silencer, but I'm planning on doing that this weekend.
    One thing is that I can't hear the stock "BOV" or wastegate. I don't know what it is, but it's something.
    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you."

another satisfied worx user.
    Ill get pics and vid tomorrow when Its daylight
    Last edited by coil2sti25; 05-28-2004 at 12:35 AM.
    99 vtec - retired
    94 DC2 LS/Vtec
    05 STI - Worx - Cusco - Tanabe - PWR - Perrin - Crucial - more to come.

Well, I took out the silencer tonight and it does make more sound now. The BOV you only really hear when you're on/off the throttle really quick.

ProblemChildWRX,
    You probably won't hear the stock wastegate because it releases into the exhaust. The stock BOV sounds like a whoosh of air (IF you can hear it!).

I also did the restrictor mod and boy what a difference....the car starts pulling hard from 3k rpm instead of 4k+!

Thanks for the replies guys....

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to be curious, has anyone set their Worxtuning to full recirc for an extended duration....ie..no blowoff at all?

Reason I'm asking is I just ran a race session last weekend, and set it for full recirc for the day to get rid of the blow off sound and to ensure there are no performance losses from loss of pressure between shifts. I had been driving it at full blow off for about 2 weeks just to see how it sounded, and knowing this isn't the best performance setting, (yeah, I know..it has minimal impact) I figured to put to full recirc for the track day since I had to reset it anyway. During the day, my car ran fine, but then, at speeds of +130 and diving into corners, you tend not to notice little things like the idle.

I've been driving with the BOV set at full recirc for a week now, and just over the last few days noticed the RPM "hanging" at whatever RPM it was at during a shift. Also, when I stop, it slowly decreases to about 1100 RPM, then drops to about 700, then finally down to the normal 450 or so. If I rev it at a stop, it does the same thing over again.

I suspect it's the BOV, and to confirm, I'll be resetting it to the 25/35% setting tomorrow to verify. The only other change I've made to the vehicle is a cat back exhaust, and I can't see this affecting the idle. Any comments or similar experiences?

Thanks!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Yup took my silencer off a couple of weeks ago, same time i put my dp in and you can really hear it now.
    03 Wagon WRB

My Mods/Pics

worx bov noob questions

How do I know what level I am on when I am turning/tuning the ring. Do I just look at it?

Also, should I mess with the internal spring? If so how should I adjust it?

I have a stock engine wih UTEC stage 1.
    2002 Silver WRX Wagon
    UTEC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.