"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 222

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the PCV system puts some oil into the intake....so yes, you'll probably see some oil. A catch can should help...

tan
    the PCV system puts some oil into the intake....so yes, you'll probably see some oil. A catch can should help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

gas gets sucked into a vacuum due to the pressure difference, regular air has a pressure of 14.7 psi i believe, a true vacuum has 0 psi, the pressure difference makes the air flow from high pressure to the lower pressure.
    2004 PSM sedan - 5 speed
    helix rsb + endlinks/gutted uppipe/whiteline steering rack bushings
    stg II next spring...
    AIM: maxler3
    gutted up pipe for sale - $60 shipped anywhere in the US. pm for details

Yes, like tan said there will be a little oil vapor coming from the PCV system and the valve cover breathers through the intake. if there is lots of oil some suspects might be the compessor side oil seal, some blow-by on the pistons presurising the crankcase, mabe even a defective pcv valve. a catchcan should solve the problem, and give you an idea about how much oil is sneaking into the intake system.

luke
    I just don't get this drifting thing, why would I spend money to put a car in the wall for a bunch of stupid 16 year olds with dreams of fast and Furious?

Grip or Die!

Blobeye Syndicate #17

some thicker oil might help too

Somebody needs a hug! (hint, it's not the search button)
    -----------------
    Jennifer - www.stinkykitty.com
    '04 Blue WRX Sedan - THE BLUE MEANIE! Grrrrrrrr, baby, grrrrrr!
    Cobb Stage 1. Fear me, pretty bunnies!

thanks for all the replies. i thought it was somewhat normal, but i wanna make sure. after upgrading the turbo to VF22, and been boosting up to 18 psi, that's when I noticed that there's a little bit of oil. normal driving, i don't see it. only when I go to the track the BOV is working full-time

i will prolly try the helix catchcan.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure its oil, and not the grease located inside of the BOV? The piston inside the BOV uses silicone grease and it could be puking it out. I re-lubricated the GFB BOV I used to have, and it puked grease all over the place.

Originally posted by jennifer
    Somebody needs a hug! (hint, it's not the search button)
    Yes! I'm coming over right now!

Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

yeah, i'm pretty sure Kurlee. i even used paper towel to wipe it, just to see what it was and make sure. i even put my hand where it blows and tested it.

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Are you sure its oil, and not the grease located inside of the BOV? The piston inside the BOV uses silicone grease and it could be puking it out. I re-lubricated the GFB BOV I used to have, and it puked grease all over the place.

poor guy

I really hope that this forum can remain non-derogatory. I never go to NASIOC anymore cause there are so many @ssholes over there ready to flame anyway at the drop of a hat. Thanks so much to everyone that is staying positive, and to those that are, please leave.
    That is all.

psycho

leaking oil

My R33 Nissan Skyline had alot of oil coming from the bov...i changed the turbo twice thinking it was a blown turbo compressor seal.I even tried disconnecting the pvc valve and putting a bag over the end of it to see if it was pumping oil into the bag after i ran the car around the block.nope NO OIL.
    It turned out that i had a broken piston ring and that at high psi the turbo was pumping air into the sump ...up into the turbo oil drain tube and through the compressor.My sump dipstick would blow out too.
    Now i have a wrx,and also have noticed oil coming from the bov but only when the boost is turned up to 17psi......so i dont boost it to no more than 15psi now.
    I dont believe its coming from the pvc valve.... but from the seals in the turbo.Keep the boost wound down is my advice

Re: leaking oil

this worries me. a broken piston ring? i doubt my problem is that serious, but what other symptoms shows if the piston rings are broken? i am a very conservative driver out in the streets, only when I go to the track (which is every once a while) that i hit the gas pedal hard.

should I remove the turbo and inspect it?

Originally posted by impreza2race
    It turned out that i had a broken piston ring and that at high psi the turbo was pumping air into the sump ...up into the turbo oil drain tube and through the compressor.My sump dipstick would blow out too.

Does the car its going on have a load exhaust? Maybe its just me, but it would sounds like a joke with an atmospheric bov and no exhaust.
    I created my avatar.

hey

a compression check would tell you if its a cracked ring/piston.
    If you put a small bag over the pvc valve pipe and just use a elastic band to hold it on and take it for a run(i believe the engine may run a little richer too) and there is no oil in it then its coming from the turbo.Im no expert but maybe its normal for oil to get past the seals in the turbo at high boost?
    hope this helps
    Trent