"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 22
Page 22 of 788 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122522 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Oops, my bad Justin...

Oops, my bad

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by WRXrumble
    I use hose same size as the FBC to connect to the MBC output side. Same size hose goes from dwaes to wastegate. No fitment problems. From Bootvalve to BOV I used the hose that came from Bootvalve

I also added the 1/8 restrictor mod to the scheme and it works well.

FBC = 14.5 psi most gears
    MBC = 16.0 psi most gears.

When I reuse the factory restrictor the car feels so sloooow it is unreal.
    Cool, one more ?

Did you run the negative wire from dawes to ground or did you run it from the switch. I aint too good on the electrical side
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

just thought i'd jump in here....i found a pretty sweet solenoid, much like the dawes, but it has an aluminum body. it's industrial grade, rated for 1,000,000 cycles. i think one advantage might be that its a little tougher, and only costs $20 from grainger. hope to get it all hooked up this weekend. i also made my mbc, looks exactly like the dawes mbc, same grainger valve and all. total cost for the system i built was $32....switchable solenoid system. anyone else trying this stuff? isn't this good stuff??

sg

What is the Grainger part number?

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

their stock number is 6JJ52. it costs $20.27. i had mine the next day (UPS ground), ordering at 3:00 pm. i have it here with me at work, if you need a pic or something.

by the way, are you guys using 1/8" tubing, or 3/16"? i planned to use 3/16", but thought maybe dawes and boostvalve used 1/8". any help?

My mistake, it is 3/16 for the restrictor mod

I will also check the solenoid you mentioned. Since it is partically on top of the turbo, I have to make sure it won't get screw up when it gets 2 hot since it is metal boby. So far the dwaes is not having any problem with the heat. Keeping my fingers crossed hahaha

When I go TurboXS unichip I will still keep this sytem in place. It is like a valet system. No one use the extra ponies except me
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

6JJ52 is exactely what you can use instead of the dwaes, make sure you get 3 1/8 npt connectors to screw onto the solenoid to connect to the hoses.

Also use teflon paste from permatex to seal it. Do not use teflon tape since it will breakdown due to heat. All NOS plumbing uses telfon paste.

yeah, the heat was what i was worried about as well. this one is rated for 180F, which was one of the higher i've seen. looks solid, sitting here looking at it. can't wait to get it set up this weekend. i have 1/8" npt fitting from work, with push and lock connectors for the tubing, as opposed to barbed ports. the push and lock have little metal teeth inside that bite onto the tubing. what's cool is the connections gets stronger as the pressure increases, because the tubing is pressed into the teeth with more pressure. pretty cool, we use them a lot here at work. wrxrumble, thanks for your info.
    Last edited by gifty74; 05-24-2002 at 06:27 AM.

Originally posted by gifty74
    yeah, the heat was what i was worried about as well. this one is rated for 180F, which was one of the higher i've seen. looks solid, sitting here looking at it. can't wait to get it set up this weekend. i have 1/8" npt fitting from work, with push and lock connectors for the tubing, as opposed to barbed ports. the push and lock have little metal teeth inside that bite onto the tubing. what's cool is the connections gets stronger as the pressure increases, because the tubing is pressed into the teeth with more pressure. pretty cool, we use them a lot here at work. wrxrumble, thanks for your info.
    Sounds good, it is going to look cool in the car.

Ok I tried the dawes solenoid install on Saturday. I tapped the + and - from the cig lighter wires and ran to the a switch near the fog lights (in that spare template)

I then ran a wire through the firewall to the unit and then ran a - off the unit to the chassis (using an existing ground).

All worked. But in feeding the + wire around the back of the dash, I had forgotten to turn off ignition. I touched a metal frame and thus spark = blown fuse.

I replaced fuse and continued only blowing the fuse again for some reason. Problem now is that whatever I have done has played havoc with our security system. (We have a keypad immobiliser which requires a 4 digit code each time we want to start the car).

I will tonite remove the wire-taps (as the cig lighter doesn't seem to work everytime) and remove the solenoid and go back to pure MBC...until I can get a competent electrical install

I fear I might stuff the security system up more, unless you can tell me what the problem might be re: blowing fuse and cig lighter not working properly (not that I use it)

Cheers
    Michael

Originally posted by WRXrumble
    I use hose same size as the FBC to connect to the MBC output side. Same size hose goes from dwaes to wastegate. No fitment problems. From Bootvalve to BOV I used the hose that came from Bootvalve

I also added the 1/8 restrictor mod to the scheme and it works well.

FBC = 14.5 psi most gears
    MBC = 16.0 psi most gears.

When I reuse the factory restrictor the car feels so sloooow it is unreal.
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Update 2.

Ok I am back in business. Dawes device switch works....but perhaps not as it should. With it activated I am getting my usual 15psi in every gear but I am getting spikes in 2nd and 3rd up to 17psi???

Secondly when the switch is off, I am only getting max 8psi.

The only thing it could be is the fact that I replaced the factory pipe that goes from T to wastegate with a longer piece of vacuum tubing so I could mount solenoid on the side of the car.

Perhaps there was a restrictor in the piece I removed but I had a good look and nothing appears to be in there...Any ideas why I am getting 8psi? If I cant sort it out I will remove it all.

Cheers
    MichaelWRX
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

hmm, i'm putting mine in today with a slightly different solenoid so i'll let you know how that goes.

back to your problem. i seem to recall that the stock wastegate opens around 8 psi, leading me to think that the stock bc system is not hooked up properly. if the stock system is not hooked up it cannot bleed off any pressure, thus just making the wastegate open at it's 8 psi threshold. i would recheck all the lines again, and make sure the stock system is still functional.

as for the spiking, i think that is one of the issues if the mbc, or in your case, the solenoid are too far from the wastegate. i might be experimenting with this problem today too as i try to decide where to mount my solenoid. i know they say to keep the line to the wastegate as short as possible. just try putting the solenoid real close, just cut a smaller line and try it, then you know for sure if that is the problem. let me know how it goes.

Yes keep everything short, my solenoid is right above and next to the wastegate.

I made a custom bracket and hooked the bracket to one of the metal return line. The solenoid clips on to the bracket and the hose between the solenoid and the wastegate is like 3-4 inches or less.
    the hose from the MBC to the solenoid is also as short as possible.

The uppie have been installed and the car is a whole different animal. Spool up is smooth and faster. The car is more responsive and it is now emitting a low rumble

Originally posted by michaelwrx
    Update 2.

Ok I am back in business. Dawes device switch works....but perhaps not as it should. With it activated I am getting my usual 15psi in every gear but I am getting spikes in 2nd and 3rd up to 17psi???

Secondly when the switch is off, I am only getting max 8psi.

The only thing it could be is the fact that I replaced the factory pipe that goes from T to wastegate with a longer piece of vacuum tubing so I could mount solenoid on the side of the car.

Perhaps there was a restrictor in the piece I removed but I had a good look and nothing appears to be in there...Any ideas why I am getting 8psi? If I cant sort it out I will remove it all.

Cheers
    MichaelWRX
    Mount it on the side of the metal return pipe on the other side of the MBC and close to the wastegate. Long hoses can cause spike and slow response. So far no heat problem with the solenoid at the position.