"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 212
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i did i search fellas but i would like some personal input with people who have experiences .... .. . ...

please help me out with a BOV question .

i did i search fellas but i would like some personal input with people who have experiences .... .. . i ordered the ACCESSport , HELIX uppipe & turboback , sti injectors , V34 turbo , and walbro fuel pump . could i get a blow off valve even though for just the purpose of the sound ? the only thing i dont want is a decrease in performance or hurting any of my other mods . and wat blow off valve would you guys recommend ? thanks alot

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes. You will be fine with a bov. I am against BOV's however, but someone else can recomend you one.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I too am against replacing the BOV because the factory one is fully functional. Just make sure you get a Subaru specific one that is hybrid to reciculate and vent to air. If you don't you will confuse your MAF and have erratic performance at various rpms...

if you aren't running 20psi+ (give or take) there is no point.

if you have $200+ to spend on a bov, just for sound - put that towards something more useful.

I have the blitz and recommend it, but only when there is a point to having one.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

any WRX-specific BOV will work fine as long as you put it on right and there's no leaks.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

i was doing some searches . . how about turboxs rfl bov and turboxs short ram intake ?

I'm thinking of going with the GFB hybrid, or APS. Both use recirc. I had HKS SSQV and had NO problems w/stalling. Only time it did stall was in reverse. Never while driving. The difference between atmospheric and stock valve is amazing. Pulls so much harder after shift. All around seems to drive MUCH MUCH better. In high boost applications an aftermarket BOV would be necessary. If I read correctly, the APS uses Recirc unless you are running really high boost, then it passes recirc and goes to second vent. Even w/tuning, between shifts w/o recirculation the turbo looses spool. Can you run recirc on high boost? Like 20+ lb?

Is BOV leaking?

I got a stupid GFB blow off valve put on a month ago and ever since it was installed, my car began to run progressively worse. It used to blow off just fine, then it started to make a putt putt putt noise and rarely blew off, and now it doesn't make any noise. The car now feels extremely bogged in between upshifts. Obviously something isnt right, but is the BOV leaking, or is it something else???

did you buy it new? are you sure you installed it correctly? check all your hoses and lines to see if there is a leak. if you bought it used maybe there was something wrong with it, or it might just be due for a cleaning and some graphite lubrication.
    o-|-<) bryan
    edit: if that bov doesnt recirculate at all, did you plug the recirc hose?

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

oh its brand new, i bought it from mastrowrx.com. i had it installed at a japanese performance shop. i wrote a note for them to do the 50/50 setup, but they didn't and plugged the recirc hose. i am going to take it back soon anyways. i just didnt know if the actual BOV can leak, because i heard that happens. And since it gradually seemed to die, it makes me wonder

A friend of mine put that bov on a evo 6 and lost almost 100hp@crank ! I can tell you he was suprised when he saw the dyno numbers
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Forge BOV spring question

Which spring should be used on basically a stock car? (perrin intake & cat-back exhaust) The blue spring was originally inside already and since this is the 2nd stiffest I was wondering if I should be using the yellow or green spring instead? Also, Forge did not include the yellow and green springs with my BOV only an extra blue and red spring. Do you think they will ship the other 2 springs if I ask? I know they sell all 4 sprnigs for like $15 but also, $12 shipping. ouch.!!

I will help you only if you PM a link to the pic in you avatar!!!!!

OK, I will help you anyway, but you better PM me that link!!!!

I had the forge for a while. I had the blue, red, and yellow springs. I personally never found one of them to work perfectly. I would say, just try all three for about a week a piece, and see which one works the best. I had MBC, uppipe, IC hoses, and crank pulley at the time, and I think my car ran best on the medium spring (I forget the color, but you can definately feel the difference). I got the springs with the BOV, did not have to pay extra for them. That sucks if you do have to pay for them now, I thought Forge just hooked people up.

With a basically stock setup you are going to want a weaker spring IIRC.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    but you better PM me that link!!!!

umm....uh.....what were we talking about, again?
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Re: Forge BOV spring question

Originally posted by ***biGRed***
    Which spring should be used on basically a stock car? (perrin intake & cat-back exhaust) The blue spring was originally inside already and since this is the 2nd stiffest I was wondering if I should be using the yellow or green spring instead? Also, Forge did not include the yellow and green springs with my BOV only an extra blue and red spring. Do you think they will ship the other 2 springs if I ask? I know they sell all 4 sprnigs for like $15 but also, $12 shipping. ouch.!!
    Im running stock boost on my 04 and Im using the green spring with 2 spacers. I tried out they yellow spring, but it flutters sometimes. With just the green in, it blows off a little too much, so I threw 2 spacers in there and it seems to be good now. No flutter, and it blows off when I want it to.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.