"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 21
Page 21 of 788 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121521 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was having some problems with my GFB blow off valve too. The brass{?} piston beneath the horn was fluttering ...

I was having some problems with my GFB blow off valve too. The brass{?} piston beneath the horn was fluttering and making a tapping noise. This is what you need to do, remove the cap and pull out the spacer and spring. Stick a quarter in the brass piston and re-install the spring and spacer. You should be good to go then, I haven't had a problem since.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Man, I'm not liking the sound of having to futz around to get the GFB to work properly. I wish TurboXS made a dual-vent; their stuff is always great quality.

The APS unit looks like a good solution but is kinda pricey.

-Pace

O.K. you're scaring me.

I order the GFB BOV just before this thread started turning sour and it has yet to arrive.
    I'm planning on using the 50/50 set up (based on the collective experience)
    So, the question is: has anyone had a good experience with the operation of this BOV? (I'm prepared for the install to be a mutha)
    Silver Wagon- Rally Tarmac

UTEC stage 1, MRT Up pipe, GFB pulley kit, Samco IC hoses, GFB BOV, GReddy boost gauge

Prodrive P1, Tein wagon coilovers, MRT strut tops, Cusco front and rear anti sway bars, Cusco strut tower stiffener, MRT end link front, STI lateral links and trailing arms pillow ball type.

Factory painted side skirts

I Support ClubWRX
    More info on my GFB BOV EXPERIENCE:
    After recieving the information from Brett at GFB, I disassembled my BOV and did some measurements and this is what I wrote back:

Brett,
    So I tested the spring compression of the piston inside of the BOV by putting a piece of PVC plastic tubing inside pushing up against the piston and pushing down on a scale. I work in the R&D department of a medical device company so I have access to a lot of testing equipment. I got 12 lbs of compression on the test. So I took off the top and measured the spacer. And it is 3.5 mm. So I put an American Quarter and the spacer together and it measures 5.17mm. So I put it back together with the Quarter inside the BOV and tested it again. I now have 15 lbs of compression on the test. My question is what is the minimum compression a GFB BOV spring and piston for a WRX is supposed to test at? Will a 5.5mm spacer actually help? Wouldn't another spring with lager diameter wire work better?

And he replied:
    The compression you are measuring, is it just to the point of lifting off the seat or completely open?(IT IS COMPLETLY OPEN) The normal range is 10.5 lb just as the piston cracks off the seat, to 17.1 lb fully open (measured with a 5.5mm spacer). Obviously, the two of us may get very different results depending on how we test it. Anyway, changing the diameter of the wire of the spring is not the way to go, simply because the wire diameter has an effect on the spring rate to the power of 4, so a tiny increase in diameter means a huge increase in spring rate. What you need to achieve is a higher spring pre-load, rather that rate, so that the piston will still lift the required distance when blowing off.

Basically, the increase in the thickness of the spacer will be the same distance that the piston will sit lower than before at idle i.e.. increase the spacer thickness by 2mm, and the piston will sit 2mm lower at idle. This will be enough to stop the trumpet from opening and causing bad idling. It doesn't matter if the piston hovers a little, just as long as the trumpet doesn't open.

So I am having him send me a 5.5mm spacer and I am going to test to see if it works when I install my Samco Intercooler Hoses I will also install my GFB with the new spacer. I will let you all know the outcome. Is this becoming the longest thread in WRXclub.net history or what or are you guys tired of hearing me talk???

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

My GFB blow off valve experience hasn't been bad, you just have to do a little tinkering {who doesn't like to}. Brett over at GFB is extremely helpful, I lost the spacer that keeps tension on the spring, Brett sent me a new one and guess what, when I received the envelope with the spacer in it there was a tear in the envelope and the spacer wasn't in there. So, I emailed Brett and he sent me a new one, he is very cool and always ready to help out. It just seems the spring needs a little more tension, a quarter fixed it up nice for me.

I guess the little bit of ricer in me( ) made me push to buy that BOV. It was great, it was cool, it is ok, etc... I'm happy with it. It works well and does what it's supposed to do. I still think I could have spent the money on something else. Too bad for me, I guess. Dammit, next time there is money aorund, I need to wear handcuffs and throw away my credit card.
    The car runs fine. 50/50.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

I set mine up last night and I am still kicking myself in the ass for getting this instead of an uppipe but oh well.

Sound is great, no problems yet.

Don't know how to set it up 100% though

My combo uppipe and downpipe should be on its way.

100%? There should be more detailed around here on that thread or on this forum. Use the search feature. It's really easy to set it up 100. GFB Cap to the recirculating hose(get a hose clamp tool before trying anything else!!! $10-$15), seal tight with the allen bolts the BOV where the recirculating connection is and that's about it. Loud though, even when you're not trying to be. Also all the concerns regarding the MAF, car running rich, etc...
    I went from 100 to 50/50. The car was jerky, a lot on 100. Way smoother on 50/50. Also way quieter on 50/50.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

Yeah it's loud enough for me on 50/50, I was just curious

<shrugs>

I followed the instructions just like on the sheet that came with it....took me 15 minutes....and that was only because I had to remember where my allen wrenches were (the kit DID come with the wrong size wrench)...and I even used the OE butterfly clamp with no hose clamp tool (yes, I managed to open it with a pair of pliers without blinding myself )

no leaks, no fit problems, works great.

oh yeah, one thing they don't tell you is that you have to cut a cable tie on the vaccum hose that goes to the top of the valve or it won't reach...and you have to put it on BEFORE you put it back into the return hose (because it has to come around the other side), and if you don't cut that cable tie you won't have enough slack to get it to fit right....or you'll kink the vaccum line and the BOV won't open when its supposed to.

easiest mod I even did....(yeah the K&N was more of a pain in the a$$ because at first I didn't BELIEVE it when the instructions said you have to take off the whole airbox to get it to fit right.....and you know what? they were right. guess the 3 keys to a painless mod is
    1) RTFM
    2) RTFM
    3) have your own set of tools
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

This might help with BOV issues

i came across this site a while ago...its for supras...but its got some info on BOV's and audio files...

no audio file for GFB valve (which is my personal favorite from a mechanical point of view...) but if you think you're having problems, have a listen to some "normal" valve sounds and see if you're ok.

http://www.socalsupras.com/tuning/blowoffvalve.html
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Originally posted by WRXrumble
    So far you have connected correctly. The hose you just plugged
    will go to the normallly open end, add a small hose from the
    solenoid (center outlet) and connect that to the wastegate. The MBC
    connects to the normally closed end ( the one that is air tight when no
    power is applied, test the solenoid and you will see what I mean).
    Now wire the solenoid and you are all set.

Mr WRXRumble,

I will be fitting the dawes this weekend (yeah yeah I am slow ) When you say connect wastegate end of MBC to the closed end of the dawes device, from what I can see, the hosing of the boostvalve MBC has a larger diameter than the dawes connections.

Do you forsee a problem there or if I just tie it off with a clamp it should be ok?

Cheers
    MichaelWRX
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

I took some pics of my Dawes installation, maybe helpful.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...&threadid=1597

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

Originally posted by Root
    I took some pics of my Dawes installation, maybe helpful.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...&threadid=1597

Justin
    Thanks....but your pics are mainly of the MBC.

I already have the MBC (boostvalve) and was curious about the dawes device (dual stage control solenoid not the MBC) that I have bought - just like WRXRumble's.

Wanted to see how he connected the thicker MBC hose to the narrow solenoid nipples

Cheers
    Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

I use hose same size as the FBC to connect to the MBC output side. Same size hose goes from dwaes to wastegate. No fitment problems. From Bootvalve to BOV I used the hose that came from Bootvalve

I also added the 1/8 restrictor mod to the scheme and it works well.

FBC = 14.5 psi most gears
    MBC = 16.0 psi most gears.

When I reuse the factory restrictor the car feels so sloooow it is unreal.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.