"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 206
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by BigClunke i thing im having the same problem with my HKS bov. i also notice it when ...

Originally posted by BigClunke
    i thing im having the same problem with my HKS bov. i also notice it when i let off of the gas kinda slowly (abit hard to explain) it souns like the spring is causing the valve to flutter. with more spirited shifting its alot more accurate, no complaints.
    what kind of adjustment helped? (i bought my rex used, i really know nothing about this bov)
    I opened up/loosened the spring about half a turn, and it seems to be fine now. Give that a try, and see how things workl out

BTW I only started having this problem when I installed my FMIC...do you have one as well, or are you on the stock IC?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To be honest, I haven't heard of something like this happening. If it's venting at 50/50 it really should do it at 100. Sometimes, they need to be re-lubed, which can be done by taking the top off, and squirting some wd-40 or something down there. I'd give that a try and see if it works.

my IC is still stock.
    maybe the heavier spring in an aftermarket bov causes it to shut a bit prematurely. when the blow off is light it flutters because there is a bit of excess pressure being released (think of that cap on a diesel exhaust tip). the trade off is it will hold boost at higher levels (when the heavier spring is needed). i doubt its any reason to get the panties in a bunch but it would be nice to be able to select a spring based on needs.
    (i very well may be totally off base, im theorizing here...)

my IC is still stock.
    maybe the heavier spring in an aftermarket bov causes it to shut a bit prematurely. when the blow off is light it flutters because there is a bit of excess pressure being released (think of that cap on a diesel exhaust tip). the trade off is it will hold boost at higher levels (when the heavier spring is needed). i doubt its any reason to get the panties in a bunch but it would be nice to be able to select a spring based on needs.
    (i very well may be totally off base, im theorizing here...)
    I'm pretty sure you can get a different spring with a different rate. I remember Dan of Godspeed selling them a while back. PM him (God) if you're interested
    Fahd

thanks, but if its not going to hurt my engine id rather dump the cash into something what will help it

thanks, but if its not going to hurt my engine id rather dump the cash into something what will help it
    That's just as well I didn't change my spring at all. You should be just fine. Good luck with your modding schedule. If there's anything I can help you with, just send me a PM
    Fahd

stu
    Sounds like compressor surge, I had the same problem at light throttle and I heard this same noise. I popped the hood and reved the engine and could hear the air coming back through the intake. So I just crushed the cap on the stocker and put it back on. I have no problems now.

Originally posted by stu
    Sounds like compressor surge, I had the same problem at light throttle and I heard this same noise. I popped the hood and reved the engine and could hear the air coming back through the intake. So I just crushed the cap on the stocker and put it back on. I have no problems now.
    can you explain this in anymore detail?

Forge BOV question

I'm thinking of buying a forge BOV, I read the re-circulating is the one to buy so the car will not run rich between shifts but (go ahead call me a ricer) does the re-circulating valve make the BOV noise?
    Also anyone had any problems with it?
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)

stu
    Well from what I can tell most aftermarket bov's have a pretty stout spring so that they can handle higher boost pressures. so when you are under light throttle or light boost the pressure is not enough to depress the spring, and when it connot depress the bov spring it goes back through the turbo causing compressor surge and making the pffffft sound you are hearing. I am by no means a expert but I had this problem and I thought that my turbo was going to Sh*t then I read up on it and it was for sure the bov. I have not heard the sound since going back to the stock bypass valve. I am running a txs stage 4 + perrin FMIC.

thanks but the part i did not understand was, "So I just crushed the cap on the stocker and put it back on."
    what cap are you crushing?

Not really worth it if you want an aftermarket recirculating bov. IIRC the forge recirc does make noise but it is much quieter
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

I'd like something a little louder than stock without running rich too. Since I haven't heard the Forge recirculating BOV I think I'm going with the new Worx dual stage. It can be set to recirc or atmostphere.

The Forge dump valve is a great BOV...just clean it every 5k miles. It's very quick, well built, and the last one you will have to buy.

The reason a BOV makes the noise its known for is when it vents to the atmosphere. A re-circulating one is just like the stock desgin, so the noise wouldn't be too noticeably different.
    www.awdpirates.net

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.