"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 204
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Get a Worx Tuning BOV, they are the best. I am selling my Forge and getting one. I too am ...

Get a Worx Tuning BOV, they are the best. I am selling my Forge and getting one. I too am running the stock one now, and it is soo much smoother than the 100% atmospheric valves.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My question for you is, can you actually stand the pssstttt sound every day on every shift? I have gone through 2 BOV's already, and I got tired of the sound of each in less than 2 weeks. It became very annoying. That is the reason I went back to my stock bypass valve. Plus the car ran a lot smoother with the stock bypass valve.

But then my stock bypass valve started to lose pressure around 17psi. I tried a friends stock bypass valve, and came to the conclusion that mine was hosed. Well since Forge makes a 100% re-circulating BOV, just like the stocker, I went with the Forge. I can adjust the BOV with different spring and washer combinations, and it idles and runs as smooth as it did with the stock bypass valve. My reccomandation is to get a Forge 100% re-circulating BOV.

the rfl just needs more attention in the form of regular cleanings and lubings. if you like that, go for it. the worx is a great valve too.

forge's recirc valve looks top notch.

I'm paranoid about these stopper-type valves though so i just run my hks you can recirc it too
    05 STi...not stock

Originally posted by hippy78
    ps - I wonder how many bov owners are wishin they had air horns?
    <--i have hella air horns 32 bucks is nothing compared to peace of mind when people actually pay attention when you honk

as a first mod a bov isn't a good idea. a downpipe is save up the extra hundred and get a helix downpipe (aren't they 300?). the downpipe is single-handedly the best bang for the buck. I saw this over a reflash for guys like me who will continue to modify, making constant reflashing a bit expensive.

prodrive springs (or the espilir ones that are cheaper, yet pretty much the same ones), a thicker rear sway bar and a set of axxis brake pads, these are things that cost about the same amount as the downpipe and also give great results. these are better STARTING points.

bov's don't like the überrestrictive stock exhaust. they run great after you have a tbe and uppipe like me.

if you're looking at a bov for a stock wrx as a means of keeping your turbo spinning between shifts, you won't find it very helpful until you do have a full exhaust on.

i'll admit it. with my bypass valve on it felt like the thing died between shifts. don't as me why...
    05 STi...not stock

Which blow off valves allow you to run 50/50 and how well do they work as far as smoothness? Do they actually blow off louder than a stock bypass valve w/ a short ram?
    03' PSM WRX sedan - 326 awhp/303 tq

i remember one going 50/50 and it was the only one... but i forget the name.

I've seen a lot more good press for the worx, honestly. both are good valves. the company that made the 50/50 valve also made an adjustable version. you could vary the amount it sent back to the dump tube.
    05 STi...not stock

i think that GFB is one of the manufacturers of a 50/50 bov.
    2002 bugeyes
    It just looks stock . . .

So lemme get this straight... Without full exhaust, bov will not help the turbo keep spooled, but with full exhaust it will help the car. This is completely against what I have read and heard! Correct me if I am wrong.
    JT
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

Originally posted by REDREX02
    So lemme get this straight... Without full exhaust, bov will not help the turbo keep spooled, but with full exhaust it will help the car. This is completely against what I have read and heard! Correct me if I am wrong.
    JT
    You will stand corrected.

BOV prevent (or reduce) back pressure against the turbo.

Aftermarket exhaust prevent (or reduce) back pressure against the turbo.

Summary of the last thousand and a half words:

Buy a BOV for the noise, not the performance.

Have You Attempted Stumbo's $100 Challenge? Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    This thread delivers.
    QFT

**fans fire**
    my bov actually vents better than my bpv with my full exhaust on, oddly enough
    05 STi...not stock

Thanks for the responses. I Could respond because I was getting some parts installed on my computer. I wll take into consideration what was said and go with a cat back and uppipe first and the other suspension mods.

--thanks

I bought the gfb and put it on 50/50. I have a 4eat WRX. I cant even hear this thing at all. Ill floor it and the auto will shift on its own and no sound whatsoever. Only way i get sound is if i put it in neutral or park and rev then i can hear it vent. Car runs great and turbo actually spools faster since the install. But i want the noise damnit. Im thinking 100%. Any suggestions?

Gfb Bov

Any of you running the gfb BOV?

I have a 4eat WRX and the BOV is on 50/50. I cant even hear this thing at all. Ill floor it and the auto will shift on its own and no sound whatsoever. Only way i get sound is if i put it in neutral or park and rev then i can hear it vent. Car runs great and turbo actually spools faster since the install. But i want the noise damnit. Im thinking 100%, but ive heard that isnt good at all. What do you guys think?

I actually bought the GFB when I had a WRX and i vented it 100%.. its very fast, not as loud as say the TurboXS RFL but you can still hear it very well. I had no trouble with venting mine 100%.
    Team VR - Vivid Racing
    www.vividracing.com
    gabe@vividracing.com
    480-966-3040 x 290
    CLICK ME HERE

One quick question. How much louder is the GFB compared to the stock one with the intake snokel removed? After I removed the snokel the BOV sounds nice. I just want something a little louder. Oh and no I'm not a ricer.
    2004 WRB Cobb Stage II WRX
    220whp 210wtq

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.