So I installed my silver GFB BOV that I bought off BigRich who is also a WRXclub member. I thought this one was going to be easy. Yeah it would have been easy if I would have set it up for 100%. But I really felt that the 50/50 would work better and would not allow the engine to run TOO rich.
So I take the old BOV off and take off the steel downpipe piece. No problem. Take my GFB out of the box, open up my tool box. WHERE THE HELL ARE MY ALLEN WRENCHES!!!!. For the next hour I am yelling and screaming and throwing stuff around trying to find an allen wrench that fits. First make sure you have all the tools you need before you do this assembly. Finally found one after lots of cussing. Problem #1.
Took the side plate off the GFB and took the downpipe from the stock one. Put it in place. Wait, why doesn't it fit into the BOV snuggly. There is a nipple on the inner pipe coupling of the down pipe that is put into the GFB and the GFB has no notch cut out for it. So I used the phillips screws that came out of the stock BOV, since they are longer, and screwed them down, a couple turns at a time until they both of the bodys were flush. Thank god the GFB is made out of soft metal. Problem #2.
Instead of using the crappy butterfly clamp, I used a hose clamp. I got it onto the hose, got the BOV and tried to put them together. Well how the hell do you get the leverage underneath the return hose and then push the BOV downpipe on. I struggled with this for about a half an hour, taking breaks to scream and cuss and spike tools. Problem #3.
Finally, I took the down pipe off of the BOV, inserted it into the return hose, tightened the hose clamp with a 8mm socket and a ratchet, a very small ratchet. The put the BOV main body up against the downpipe, and very carefully threaded the screws into each hole. Now came the hardest part. Since there is NO room at all to get a screw driver in that small space to tighten the screws, I took a phillips screwdriver insert for a multi screwdriver and used a boxed end wrench to tighten them up. And after more screaming and losing 3 inserts it was finally toghther.
So I go to push the BOV up against the body of the intercooler. It won't fit because the BOV is bigger than the space between the metals lines running in front of the intercooler and the intake manifold. So I had to loosen all three 10mm bolts the hold the metals lines in front of the intercoolerand raise them up a bit, put the BOV in place and tighten the bolts down and then reinstall the 10mm bolts for the lines. I installed the BOV vaccuum hose started up the car listened for leaks. NONE! Took it for a drive. I like it. Not too loud but noticeable.
Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to share all the problems I had installing this BOV and sharing my experience so it won't be so hard for other people. And because I wanted to vent all my frustrations to everyone else here.
I should have just intalled it to 100% and saved myself 2 1/2 hours.