"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 199

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by YOLA What is a dremel? Now ive beenm working on it a few times today, trying to ...

Originally posted by YOLA
    What is a dremel? Now ive beenm working on it a few times today, trying to get that thing off and its still on tighter than a mofo! More ideas anyone?
    It's a little tool that can do a lot of stuff...

http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html

I recommend you get one if you do a lot of modding on your car or if you do any kind of home improvement stuff, it comes in pretty handy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i used the dremel method!!!

Friends WRX has $2000 worth of damage due to CAI & BOV...

A'ight. One of my best friends with a 03 WRX has a Turbo XS Stealth-back exhaust with Titanium muffler; AEM CAI, and TXS Type RFL BOV.

I've been telling him from the start that the CAI and BOV are bad for his car due to the Mass Air sensors you guys have or something - not 100% sure on why they are bad. I just know the CAI is making the car run lean and the BOV is making it run rich. So basically the ECU is all on crack or something.

He's had a CEL for awhile now - since he put his exhaust on about 2 months ago. He goes to the dealer today and they estimate $2000 worth of damage to the Mass Air sensor + a "bad" CAT + installation/repair/etc.

My question is .. can he go after AEM or TXS because their products made his WRX get damaged like that? I assume this has happened before. He can't drive it now because he doesn't have the money to fix it. Bummer. Spring is right around the corner too. I'll post more information about his case once I get it.

Any comments?

Thank you for your time.

- Chris.
    Slow Neon.

shouldnt be that much. tell him to put the stock intake back on and get a new maf sensor (300-400 bucks maybe?) and then to just get a new downpipe (400 bucks or so, no more CEL) (dont worry about cats). i think his dealership is just messing with him though...thats just my opinion, though.
    Last edited by happasaiyan; 03-02-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Well,
    When modifying a car you have to use caution and understand what you are doing. You cannot just start installing parts without a clue and expect when something fails to go blame someone else.

As far as parts go. I donít see how that adds up to ~$2000.

MAFs from the dealer are ~$300 and people are giving used exhausts away.

Perhaps a further explanation, this time in English would help.

-Mike

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    First of all, he will get nothing from either AEM or TurboXS.

Second of all, why did he go to the dealer? Was it simply because of the CEL? You mentioned no other problems besides that. My guess would be that the CEL is a P0420 (cat inefficiency), which would be caused by the TurboXS exhaust. I think the dealer is simply trying to screw him, at least on the "bad cat" part of the diagnosis. A CEL fix is all he needs to fix the problem. Catalytic convertor problems (if you want to call it a problem) will not affect the way in which the car runs.

The AEM might also be throwing a code. I know that certain CAIs do, although I am not completely sure that this one would. If this is the problem, just return it to stock.

The BOV will make the car run like sh*t, but it shouldn't really hurt anything or cause a CEL.

So my diagnosis would be that the dealer is trying to rip your friend off. Tell him to go to Autozone or pick up an OBDII scanner and get the code pulled if it is only the CEL. That'll tell him what the problem is.

He could also put the stock parts back on and go to a different dealer.

So im kind of scared now I have a txs rfl bov and I was wondering if they are bad for the engine? I also took the intake silencer off and have a cat-back exhaust. I have noticed that I blow a little smoke not sure if this is bad though. It only happens at high RPM
    so any opinions
    Thanks,
    Dennis

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep 'em coming. I'll be sure to show my friend this thread.
    Slow Neon.

Question Question........( BOV )

Anyone know which Bov is louder, the forge or the gfb set at 100% atmospheric mode? Any sound clips?
    oh and btw I did search.

you can get the maf from subaruparts.com for less than what the dealer sells it for. i agree with all the other guys...dealership is ripping your friend off.

I think MJU summed it up in saying not to do things when you are unaware of what it is you are doing/affecting. If you dont know anything, don't pretend as though you do and youll be set.
    I created my avatar.

2000. Need to recoop their losses.

In reailty thats really only like 700 tops, but dealers will be dealers.

So basically the ECU is all on crack or something.
    The quote above leads me to think that there is really no damage and the intake's just screwin with how the car drives. $2000 is a lot of money. What does subaru say is wrong with the car? What are the symptoms? If they are just gonna put the exhaust and intake back to stock, there is no reason to pay that money. If the car just doesn't run, or runs like crap(jerking losing power or stalling), changing the intake back to stock might fix the problem. This would cost less then $300 if he doesn't still have the parts. If there is damage(engine or turbo), he will obviously have to pay to get it fixed, and might just learn more then if the intake is just screwin with the maf.

peace

If he needs to replace his cats, I have my old ones sitting around - shoot me a PM, and i will get them to him for a hell of a lot less than 2 grand...............
    - Darwin
    PS - dealers will try and screw you - i had one quote me 350 bucks for a new set of stock rotors all around
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

does your friend know AEM cai's arent the best thing for wrx's?
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.