"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 196

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by DiabloWRX Does anyone run with a "crushed" BOV? If so, what has it done for you? My ...

I Support ClubWRX

Re: crushed BOV

Originally posted by DiabloWRX
    Does anyone run with a "crushed" BOV? If so, what has it done for you? My buddy has one on his eclipse, and im interested in knowing about the subaru BOV. Thanks
    I plan on doing this when I go over 20psi. I pressure tested my stocker and it didn't leak all the way up to 20psi.

The DSM BOV is the same design as ours and should work the same way (crushing it increases the preload on the spring). I love free mods.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How do you do it? And what would it make it do? Hold more boost?
    PM me if you're in the need for high speed affordable video hosting.

Originally posted by MidKnight
    Yea, I would loosen the spring or however that works... That sounds like the problem I had with my forge valve...
    Thanks! I'll try that
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

There is a post in a thread at NASIOC in regard to this subject, written by Phil of TurboXs.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...C+AND+Throttle

!

Do you think it would make any difference if i'm running stock boost? I know some people that are not running 20 psi and they have crushed them. I would love to do it if it's not going to hurt anything, and if I can get a little more juice.
    Last edited by DiabloWRX; 02-27-2004 at 06:17 AM.

Originally posted by MisterX
    There is a post in a thread at NASIOC in regard to this subject, written by Phil of TurboXs.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...C+AND+Throttle
    Thanks Mister X! It was an excellent read, but doesn't really have to do with my BOV problem. Still, now I'll know why my car stalled if I clutch in at high speeds

After talking with a few people, it seems that most people with an FMIC and HKS BOV experience what I'm going through. It's no biggie...I'm still fidgeting with the BOV. It seems to be a little better. Thanks again for all the help
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

good ta have ya back Fahd- does this mean you will be posting more often?
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I would love to do it if it's not going to hurt anything, and if I can get a little more juice.
    BOV does NOT give any performance increase. It can decrease performance is it's leaking under certain pressure. But will not yield any HP increase if you crush them or put on an aftermarket BOV.

I really don't get the point of it then. What does it really do if you crush it?

A lot of people don't seem to understand that if your BOV is working properly, there is nothing you can do to make it perform better. A new BOV (or, in this case, a BOV mod) is nothing but a supporting mod. IE doing it will not help you at all unless you need one (if it's leaking or whatever).

I really don't get the point of it then. What does it really do if you crush it?
    It allows you to run over 20psi. At about 20psi, the stock (uncrushed) BOV will begin to leak pressure. Crushing it compresses the spring a bit, thus allowing it to hold more pressure. Crushed BOVs are good up to around 25psi or so.

But like qoncept said, if you're not running over 20psi, then crushing it won't do a damn thing.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Blow off Valve weird sound

I have 2004 WRX and I just put a cold air intake on it. Before I put the the CAI on it I could never hear the BOV. My girlfriend could but not me. Now that I put the CAI on the car makes a "shhhhhhhhhhhh" sound when I kind of half way gas it, and when I let off the gas I can now hear the BOV go "pshhhhht". When I floor it it makes the "shhhhhh" sound until it hits the higher RPM's then it goes away. Is the BOV leaking? The car only has 7000 miles on it, or is it the intake I'm hearing. Thanks for any feedback.

Thank you for explaining it in layman terms. I am not going to touch it then, until later.

its just the extra air flow created by the filter... it does that with my K&N drop in air filter... btw i'd recommend getting rid of that CAI... it causes your car to run lean in the A/F and can cause detonation and you actually loss performance... or atleast according to all the diehards