"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 191
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Some drivers love it and some have issues with it. From what I have read, it could be pretty much ...

Some drivers love it and some have issues with it. From what I have read, it could be pretty much hit or miss. I want to do the same thing, but those issues linger in my mind. I come from a Honda line-up as well. These are all new things to me. Good luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Last edited by hippy78; 02-16-2004 at 09:32 PM.

Originally posted by teg2rex
    i am slowly learning here...from what i am gathering from other posts is that the TXS rfl and the HKS are the most popular...it sounds to me like they are both loud which is good...just comparing these two...which will be more friendly to my car...and when i say that i mean which one WONT mess it up

sounds are totally different. people have and have not had problems with both of them.... but this issue on both of those (probably the 2 most common) have been covered endlessly. Read the 13 pages of that thread. Search for more information. Its all here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

Thumbs down Removing BOV SUCKS!!!!!!

I had a Turbo XS RFL bov for about 6 months and decided for various reasons to remove it today. It took about 15 minutes to put it on and almost an hour to take it off! I had to unbolt the f*ing intercooler just to reconnect the stock valve. It was a major PITA! Anyone else have this problem?

Call me crazy, but I think my car runs better/smoother/faster without it. Maybe it'll go back on after my exhaust...
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

your car probably does run better without it. And it is a hassle to put it on and off- i usually just leave the recirc connected and remove the intercoller minus the BOV.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Re: Removing BOV SUCKS!!!!!!

Originally posted by SOUTHPAW
    Call me crazy, but I think my car runs better/smoother/faster without it. Maybe it'll go back on after my exhaust...
    A friend of mine had the same BOV on a EVO6 TME and it was apperantly leaking. Gas milage went up, and on the dyno run we found out that the car was running 100 hp(@crank) less than stock !

So be carefull when selection a bov and make sure it does not leak. Personally I leaning towards a hks SSQV with the recirc adapter so I don't upset the stock ECU.
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Ok i am knew to this forum,the wrx and turbos but i am not knew to modding but i cant figure out wut i wanna do first to my wrx. I have read this whole post and u say to replace the upipe and downpipe to get the best hp out of the car in stead of the whole catback. I am just wondering about this knew emissions thing in Pa i am going to get my car inspected next week so i guess i will see wut they are gonna do. Ohh yea matt that is a very good diagram and all your info has been helpful.

Reinstalling stock bov / tip for dealing with recirculation hose.

I recently removed my GFB 50/50 bov to return to stock and discovered a little headache-saver when it comes to dealing with that recirculation hose. I hope this helps someone out.

Tip for reinstalling stock BOV downpipe into recirculation hose without removing intercooler:

Without the BOV on the intercooler you can clearly see the recirculation hose. Take 4' or more of clothesline rope, tie the two ends of the rope together, you now have a big loop.

Drop the loop down and around the recirculation hose, try to get the loop at least 6" back from the end of the hose. Now you have a way to pull the hose upwards as you push the plumb-back pipe of the stock valve into the hose.

Lastly, the hose clamp, remember that this clamp locks open, which allows you to have another free hand while you do this.

Cliffs notes:

1. Loop rope around recirc hose and pull up
    2. put unlocked hose clamp 1" down on hose
    3. Push stock valve downpipe into recirc hose while pulling up on rope.
    4. When the hose and downpipe are mated, give the stock clamp a squeeze to release.
    5. Untie the knot, remove the rope, yay, you're done.
    '04 BMW 325ci

But I still have plenty of love for Subaru.

Well i have decided on the TXS over the HKS. price is the biggest issue...next question...what is the main difference between the regular Type H BOV and the Type H-rfl??? i am assuming the rfl is louder but is there any other differences. TXS's website doesnt really tell you any other differences than that.

Well i have decided on the TXS over the HKS. price is the biggest issue...next question...what is the main difference between the regular Type H BOV and the Type H-rfl??? i am assuming the rfl is louder but is there any other differences. TXS's website doesnt really tell you any other differences than that.
    just louder, and looks a tad bit different

Peter North > *

Are both of those TSX BOVs 100% atmospheric?? from what i have been studying is that i will run rich in between shifts. what exactly does that mean?? my car gets hammered enough just from me driving like an idiot...i am not looking to mess it up with aftermarket parts.. would it be better if i found a BOV where i need to hook that recirc hose back up??

yes, and you will run rich between shifts. I'll let you find out what that means just for the priciple of it.

Peter North > *

hey take it easy on me..i have an excuse..i am a retired honda/acura guy...i know about body kits, altezzas and everything ricey (unfortunately) turbos and engines arent my cup of tea

hey take it easy on me..i have an excuse..i am a retired honda/acura guy...i know about body kits, altezzas and everything ricey (unfortunately) turbos and engines arent my cup of tea

i am taking it easy. I'm not trying to be a schmuck. But the info you are looking for is ALL OVER this forum if you look for it, theres almost 500,000 posts on here.

Peter North > *

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.