"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 190
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My BO valve makes the loudest sound while shifting when the boost gauge reads vacuum, a little above vacuum it's ...

GFB Blow Off Problem?

My BO valve makes the loudest sound while shifting when the boost gauge reads vacuum, a little above vacuum it's a longer, lower hissing sound, and at WOT and max boost makes no sound at all between shifts.
    Why is this? Something wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

looks like i found my answer?

I have a WRX Hybrid blow-off valve on my 2002 WRX and there seem to be times when it doesn't blow off, and when it does it isn't very loud. Is there a problem with the valve?

The MY01-2 model WRX features vastly improved noise insulation from the engine bay when compared to earlier models, so the noise of the valve tends to be quite muffled. Rest assured that if you drive past a concrete wall with the window down you will hear it! The recirculation part of the WRX Hybrid valve is substantially larger than the trumpet opening, and will open with much smaller piston movement. It is designed this way for maximum flow and also because these WRX's can be more sensitive to atmosphere venting than earlier models. So the times when you can't hear the valve are a result of most of the air going back to the inlet and the extra sound insulation.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

Question HELP! Car is idleing funny and BOV is LOOSE!?!

The other day I was waiting to go thru the car wash and noticed my car was idleing at 1000 rpm (warm) I reved it to 4000 and it went down to 2000 and stayed! It hasn't happened since then but the next day I noticed my RFL BOV is totally loose! Could I be losing vaccum, or are the two problems totally unrelated? I am thinking of going back to the stock valve untill I get an exhaust, my car never ran as well w/ the BOV on anyway. Please let me know what the hell is happening to my car.

By the way, my car has no power mods, just BOV and silencer hack. 18k miles and only oil changes, no services.
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

if your BOV is loose, then thats why your car is idling wierd.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: HELP! Car is idleing funny and BOV is LOOSE!?!

Originally posted by SOUTHPAW
    Could I be losing vaccum, or are the two problems totally unrelated? I am thinking of going back to the stock valve untill I get an exhaust, my car never ran as well w/ the BOV on anyway. Please let me know what the hell is happening to my car.
    A good way to find out if you have a vacuum leak is to do the following. Buy some carb cleaner and spray around the entire mounting plate of the BOV while the car is running. If the idle goes up at any time, you have a vacuum leak. Also try the vacuum line and the body of the BOV the same way. It works like a charm.

Did you use a new gasket between the BOV and the intercooler? That could be the problem as well. Get yourself a new gasket and try again. If all else fails, get rid of the BOV and put your stock bypass valve on.

is the adapter whats loose or the bov connecting to the adaptor? My Type H bov actually popped off because the screw holding it onto the adapter got loose. Just grab the hex driver and tighten the little screw, that should fix it.
    My Mods w/ Pics

13.57 @ 100.9 mph

UCF Car Club

Bov

I want to buy a blow off valve for my 02 WRX... what can anyone tell me about them. which one should i get and why...and how hard are they to install...any welding or anything....just by looking at the stock one it doesnt look hard to replace but i have been wrong before... thanks

Best advise for now is to search the forum. There are tons of information on different types of bov's available.

http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread...threadid=22238

its a sound mod, no power, get what sound you like

no welding unless installing to a few fmics. install on tm is easy.

SEARCH
    Last edited by ebr0t; 02-16-2004 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I want something that will turn heads and i dont want something that will mess up my car... does it do anything to performance?

Originally posted by ebr0t

its a sound mod, no power, get what sound you like

no welding unless installing to a few fmics. install on tm is easy.

SEARCH
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

ok..here is my criteria....under 200 bucks or damn close to it....loud...and something simple...i can install the thing but does it take rocket science to adjust the things??? is it just the sound you adjust??? i am seeing all these messages in another post talking about full atmosphere, 50/50, what does all that mean?? i am a retired honda/acura guy.... so you know i am pretty lost here

Originally posted by teg2rex
    ok..here is my criteria....under 200 bucks or damn close to it....loud...and something simple...i can install the thing but does it take rocket science to adjust the things??? is it just the sound you adjust??? i am seeing all these messages in another post talking about full atmosphere, 50/50, what does all that mean?? i am a retired honda/acura guy.... so you know i am pretty lost here

its all here if you look for it

full atmosphere- all the air vents to the atmosphere
    50/50- half atmosphere, half back in
    all are different in how/what can be adjusted, search for the one you want
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

i am slowly learning here...from what i am gathering from other posts is that the TXS rfl and the HKS are the most popular...it sounds to me like they are both loud which is good...just comparing these two...which will be more friendly to my car...and when i say that i mean which one WONT mess it up

As Eli said before,

Search and ye shall find.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.