"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 19
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 790 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119519 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; in detail what happens.... air goes past the MAF sensor, and the ECU figures out how much air came in ...

in detail what happens....

air goes past the MAF sensor, and the ECU figures out how much air came in and how much gas it needs to send to the motor to burn properly.

you take your foot off the gas.

BOV opens and dumps a whole bunch of air out of the system...the ecu doesn't KNOW this so its still sending gas as if the air was there - result - the car runs rich until the vavle closes again....ultimately, running too rich means you're dumping unburned fuel into your exhaust where it ignites...on N/A cars you'd see flames shooting out the tail-pipe (if you watch NASCAR racing you can see it in the turns when the drivers are off the gas). In turbo cars it ignites in the uppipe...if you have a catalyst in the uppipe, it'll eventually burn off a chunk and launch it into your turbo...if you don't have a catalyst in there I'm sure shooting flames into your turbo on a semi-regular basis can't be good for it anyway.

When you set up a 50/50 valve, you're opening up the system, but its STILL connected to your return line....so when the ecu sends the ammount of gas that it THINKS you need the motor can still "suck" the air it needs to burn it from the BOV...hence at lower throttle there's no "whoosh" because the motor needs that air....at higher boost, you got more air than you really need to burn all the gas the ECU is sending and the extra goes out the horn.

opening up your intake (and i'm NOT going to get into how one should do this for fear of starting another CAI thread), will get the valve to sound off more often...and after a while you'll learn to how to get the valve to make the sound more if that's what you want....on the other hand, its very nice to sound totally stock when you pull away from a stop light with a cop next to you...
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Help deciding on BOV

Ok, I know there is a million threads on this and that is why I'm having such a hard time deciding on one. Right now I'm thinking about the APS or the HKS. I definetely want a 50/50. I'm not sure if the HKS is a 50/50 though. Heard somewhere that they made one. I am keeping the stock intercooler also. I'm not looking for an attention getter but not one that you don't even know is there. Any suggestions?

well APS is overpriced, and HKS is too but nice, if yo got the dough I say the HKS or the Blitz

GFB.

no modifications required. direct bolt-on. takes about 15 minutes to install. already has spring tension set for proper WRX application.

...and I know you'll get a lot of people arguing over this....but I DID see a reduction in turbo lag between shifts (still won't to anything for lag in 1st gear, though).
    go f*** yourself

I'm seriously considering the HKS with the recirc kit. Is there anyone with this setup? I have thought about the GFB also.

Originally posted by blarg
    GFB.

no modifications required. direct bolt-on. takes about 15 minutes to install. already has spring tension set for proper WRX application.

...and I know you'll get a lot of people arguing over this....but I DID see a reduction in turbo lag between shifts (still won't to anything for lag in 1st gear, though).
    I agree with all of this. I even went as far to sell my first GFB because everyone said the 50/50 was bad. Stock one hurt my turbo spool up so I bought another GFB one and all is good once more . I highly recommend the GFB BOV(made for the WRX only)

i agree with the GFB one. I'm running it at 100% right now and car is very responsive. Turbo-lag has been reduced for me from my viewpoint. It's also not that loud. Only vents on WOT or whatnot. Most of the time for normal driving it's quiet and doesn't vent much.

Plus it's a high quality piece too. Very nice looking.

~V
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, I think I'm going to order the GFB. It's price isn't too bad and it does look pretty good. I'll let you guys know how I like it when I get it. Thanks everyone!!

if your're willing to wait for delivery I think you can get them online for under $200...my dealer had em in stock for $210...guess instant gratification was worth $10....
    go f*** yourself

Only problem I've heard about the GFB BOV, is the fluttering noise it makes. Have any of you guys with it had this problem?

Originally posted by Cuda
    Only problem I've heard about the GFB BOV, is the fluttering noise it makes. Have any of you guys with it had this problem?
    I have had no problems with mine. The only fluttering noise I have heard is with the wastegate which seems to get magnified if you have removed your intake silencer.

I am sure this has been posted somewhere....but how do you remove the intake silencer? Can this be bad at all or is its use simply for silenceing purposes? Thanks.

How does the GFB sound and where can I buy one?

Originally posted by Able Knight
    I am sure this has been posted somewhere....but how do you remove the intake silencer? Can this be bad at all or is its use simply for silenceing purposes? Thanks.
    Click here for the mod. I had mine out for awhile but put it back in when my wife complained about all the new noises.

The intake silencer mod gave me a more responsive pedal. I then ran a tube down the inner fender for a CAI using the stock air box with a K&N filter. I've been running it for 8 months now without a problem. To remove the intake silencer just remove the intake plenum in engine compartment. Next, get under the car and remove the plastic pop rivots holding the air duct. Then remove the rest of the rivots holding the upper plastic guard. You don't have to pull the whole guard out, just enough to push it out of the way. Then take the two silencer nuts loose. One is in the engine compartment on the sidewall and the other you'll have to go underneath. Then just yank that damn messy thing out of there. It is pretty tight in there but you can work it out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.