"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 187

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; [QUOTE] Originally posted by ABQnitrous [B]I never heard of that one. Could someone explain it? Scroll down a bit its ...

Re: spark plug anti-fouler fix?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ABQnitrous
    [B]I never heard of that one. Could someone explain it?

Scroll down a bit its the second one with the help products not the first picture.
    Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

antifouler for up-pipe w/o an EGT bung?

OK. I found the posts about this mod.

My Autospeed up-pipe has no EGT bung. What would be the point of drilling a hole in it and putting that pipe fitting in there?The flow is more laminar without anything sticking into the pipe. Smooth pipe flows more air, everything else equal.

The Autospeed-supplied resistor is working fine to keep the CEL light from coming on. Knock on wood ... i've never thrown a code.

I keep an eye on EGTs by watching the gauge ... the way god intended for high-performance turbo cars. It gives more info about how the car is running and responding to mods than trying to log everything with the UTEC and be looking at all the logs and trying to remember what the car was doing when such and such happened.

I don't know how people can modify their car's intake and exhaust without boost and EGT gauges. Once you get an EGT gauge you'll know what i'm talking about.
    Last edited by ABQnitrous; 01-31-2004 at 05:38 PM.

You dont need the stock egt bung in the uppipe just throw in the resistor and you will be fine. If your going to get an aftermarket egt gauge you are not going to tap it at the uppipe.
    Alex

I agree with everyone who said uppipe.
    There are a lot of them to pick from, but personally I suggest a Godspeed or a JDM (import) STi uppipe. The Godspeed uppipe is a good piece. Non flex, has an EGT bung so no CEL, and as the guy who installed mine said... The thing has a near perfect fit compared to others he has installed. The JDM STi pipe is a Subaru part, so it's going to fit perfectly, has a flex (not sure about the bung), but is more expensive.

Personally, I'd say spend $190+shipping to get a used one from Dan at Godspeed w/ new gaskets, and use the rest to have it installed. It should be about a 2 hour job at a shop (after the car has cooled down) so you will need a little over $300 in the end. That's unless you can find somebody local who knows their stuff and can install at, or a garage day.

Uppipe key features -
    Removes the first cat allowing faster turbo spool
    Removes the first cat allowing for more power
    Removes the first cat making sure your turbo is safe

Then do yourself the next best thing... Get a boost gauge.

If you want something fun and easy... Get a GFB Hybrid BOV. It's something almost anyone could install, and well... It's more of a fun mod to do the car than anything.

I highly suggest going through the first 1000 miles and breaking the car in though before modding it (if the car is new)
    PS3/360 ID: Zapix

MIA Western Mass Impreza Club / MIA Connecticut Impreza Club

My 2002 WRB WRX

2003 Northeast Subaru Impreza Club Regional Meet

up-pipe

Another factor is that even though it means removing one of the three cats, the cat there is only needed for cold start emissions. But you need to warm up the car anyway before an emissions test.

My local emissions test program lets you pass the visual part of the test if they can see just one cat. They don't check to see how many the car comes with and look for them. The thing is almost impossible to see from the top, anyway.

It's not easy to put in. If you do it at home i'd recommend that you arrange in advance to be able to borrow another car if you need a part or something ... one reason to do it when the parts store is open.

Don't forget the ECU! They probably have that thing running the car at its limit.

Guys -
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

I wasn't asking, "What makes the STi different?"

I was asking, If the regular WRX exhaust and the STi exhaust are the same diameter, is there anything else that makes the STi exhaust different.

This is the exhaust thread, after all.
    '04 Platinum Silver Wagon, 5MT
    RIP '00 Integra

snvin,

I think I touched on the differences between WRX and STI exhausts in my last post. Basically, the diameter of the pipes is the same, except the WRX has a catted uppipe and a higher restrictive muffler than the Prodrive muffler the STI gets.

Hope this helps.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

prices for good bov

i was wondering how much a good bov is...if u could list the type and prices for all the bov's u guys got and also if you can....how do u guys like your bov's. thanks

I got a used HKS BOV for 200, didn't want to pay more then that for a sound mod. I like mine. The other one I like is the Blitz.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I have the turboxs RFL type-H, and i like it a lot! It will make people turn around very quickly when you make it go off, and the sound is a nice whoosh instead of the more whistle-ish HKS (though i like that one a lot too!).
    autobahn storming scooby

HKS BOV trouble

having HKS BOV trouble:
    I installed my new wrx BOV and I'm not sure if I installed it right or how to adjust it, because it doesn't make any noise at all when I was aware that it makes a lot of noise.

plz help if you can...thnx
    02' BlacKDuB

shuddering sound through bov.....

ok, i posted this as a misfire before and maybe im wrong but, through the blow off valve i hear a shudder like the bov is a mini machine gun so to speak. only as boost is building up, as it blows off you cant hear it. any suggestions?

should give a loud squeak under boost if, not park your car because its wrong and you could do some damage
    02 wrx stage 2

What kind of bov? Ive got the stock unit but can sort hear what youre talking about. Kind of almost like a clicking noise about 10 times a second. I figure its just the wastegate.