"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 182
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I always associated a fluttery BOV with one that is sticking open. Can you be more specific?...

I always associated a fluttery BOV with one that is sticking open. Can you be more specific?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I have a video of an Mr2 doing a hot lap and it has the flutter sound. Also, the 2F2F Skyline has that flutter sound.

Kinda like a bus?...i think thats the greddy type s

I have a Blitz bov and inluess I goose it pretty good it flutters instead of the clean air blast sound you get at the higher boost levels. I played with the tension try that. Not sure how many bov's have adjustments though?
    02 aspen white wrx

1/4 ET 13.9

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    The ralley WRXs have the bov that flutters...what do they use?

It sounds like a dolphine
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

It really depends on the adjustment, and the amount of airflow.

My SSQV sounds like a blast of air at 14psi, but on my friends VF30 car at 14psi it makes the birdman noise. "Pfrrrrrrrrr"
    I created my avatar.

I dont like that sound really i want the pure air sound more.

This guy I know got the mazdaspeed protege and he made the stock bov atmospheric and it sounds like a damn turkey lol..

The fluttering and chirping sound on the WRC cars in the ALS -- Anti-lag system. I am not going to go into ALS in detail, but it uses the ECU (exhaust valve timing IIRC) to keep the turbo spooled. Generally a turbo will not last very long with an ALS system running -- therefore it is not so good to run on the street.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    The fluttering and chirping sound on the WRC cars in the ALS -- Anti-lag system. I am not going to go into ALS in detail, but it uses the ECU (exhaust valve timing IIRC) to keep the turbo spooled. Generally a turbo will not last very long with an ALS system running -- therefore it is not so good to run on the street.

-joe
    Yeah, ALS are the shiznit.

Cross-threaded BOV bolt = no more threads!

ummm whoops!

So im putting my IC back on, and was kind of in a rush to get it done. I ended up crossthreading one of the BOV bolts. I backed it out, and ended up with a handful of aluminum threads.

The other BOV bolt is holding the BOV down for now. It seems to be sealing. I was thinking about drilling out the hole, re-tapping it for a larger bolt, and putting a larger bolt in. Good idea?
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Re: Cross-threaded BOV bolt = no more threads!

Originally posted by Shibby
    ummm whoops!

So im putting my IC back on, and was kind of in a rush to get it done. I ended up crossthreading one of the BOV bolts. I backed it out, and ended up with a handful of aluminum threads.

The other BOV bolt is holding the BOV down for now. It seems to be sealing. I was thinking about drilling out the hole, re-tapping it for a larger bolt, and putting a larger bolt in. Good idea?
    more like the only idea unless you can find yourself a good metric helicoil set somewhere, maybe they have them at sears?
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

Re: Re: Cross-threaded BOV bolt = no more threads!

Originally posted by supermarkus
    more like the only idea unless you can find yourself a good metric helicoil set somewhere, maybe they have them at sears?
    what is this? how does it work?
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

they're replacement threads you screw into place, your local sears or autozone should have them. Might as well go for the tap though.

you drill a slightly oversized hole, which you've effectively done, then tap with an over sized tap and screw the replacement threads into place.

do a google search on "helicoil repair kit"
    Last edited by supermarkus; 01-19-2004 at 09:35 PM.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by supermarkus
    they're replacement threads you screw into place, your local sears or autozone should have them. Might as well go for the tap though.

you drill a slightly oversized hole, which you've effectively done, then tap with an over sized tap and screw the replacement threads into place.

do a google search on "helicoil repair kit"
    They work, believe me. But be careful since you are working with aluminum(intercooler), and not steel when using the helicoil repair kit. Aluminum is a soft metal and will strip easily. Make sure you are careful intalling the helicoil. If it strips, you are pretty much SOL!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.